Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Streetdeck Wish List

  1. #1
    StreetDeck Skinning Master 06TC_OWNER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    363

    Talking Streetdeck Wish List

    As the owner of the Streetdeck solution, I would like to post a couple suggestions on the hardware / software side of Streetdeck.

    On the hardware side, I think if we could ever find a solution to the glare issue in a car with the monitor, that would be outstanding - I know that's a tall order, but would be worth it's weight in gold. If anyone out there has come up with a solution for sun glare that doesn't involve illegal tinting, let me know...

    On the software side,

    I noticed that when you try to configure Streetdeck while driving, it actually knows your speed - if you could have a button to display/hide that in a corner, that would be sweet...

    With the mp3 playlist (this is just a small thing) it would be nice if when you switched to the mp3 playlist while it was playing, it would take you to the area in the list where the song is that is playing. A harder implementation for the mp3 playlist would be grouping similar categories - i.e. "alternative" and "alternative rock," etc.

    For the navigation, you lose the ability to select the volume control, unless you bring it up before going to navigation. Reinstating the button to show/hide the volume on the map would be great. Of course points of interest are a little lacking in the software package, but I know mp3car is working on that one.

    A contrasting skin option (i.e. silver) would be good to change to for different lighting and an implementation of a gama control would help as well. There is a freeware gama control that is found in the RoadRunner software package that I believe would be easy to adapt to the software package and would probably help with the daytime visibility.

    For implementations that go way over the top, I think it would be cool if you could create an address/phone book that would take an outlook (or csv) import and allow you to search, add, navigate (as a destination), and dial (if option is available) from.

    These are just suggestions and in no way detract from the current operation of Streetdeck, but would enhance it significantly if implemented.

    --where is the sdk? it would be nice to have the keys to the kingdom to start work on a few of my wishes

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    With the mp3 playlist (this is just a small thing) it would be nice if when you switched to the mp3 playlist while it was playing, it would take you to the area in the list where the song is that is playing.
    This is actually a pet peeve of mine as well. :-)

  3. #3
    MySQL Error Scouse Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    9,727
    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    On the hardware side, I think if we could ever find a solution to the glare issue in a car with the monitor, that would be outstanding - I know that's a tall order, but would be worth it's weight in gold. If anyone out there has come up with a solution for sun glare that doesn't involve illegal tinting, let me know...
    I might have a solution soon but cash and time are holding me up. Been working on this a while now along with the backlight upgrades.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate rcdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    236
    hey let us know about the backlight upgrades etc when available.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate rcdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclean12
    This is actually a pet peeve of mine as well. :-)

    I mentioned this during the beta testing period. I forget the actual reply, but I think it was on the order of "we'll look into it", but it wasn't an actual bug so I think it got on the "low priority list".

    Oh well... hopefully the increased feedback will merit more attention.

  6. #6
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    On the hardware side, I think if we could ever find a solution to the glare issue in a car with the monitor, that would be outstanding - I know that's a tall order, but would be worth it's weight in gold. If anyone out there has come up with a solution for sun glare that doesn't involve illegal tinting, let me know...
    We are well aware and doing everything we can to find a solution, but its probably not going to happen any time soon.


    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    I noticed that when you try to configure Streetdeck while driving, it actually knows your speed - if you could have a button to display/hide that in a corner, that would be sweet...
    This can be done with a skin or a script... We probably won't be changing the core software and definitly not if its a feature that an easy addition with a script.

    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    With the mp3 playlist (this is just a small thing) it would be nice if when you switched to the mp3 playlist while it was playing, it would take you to the area in the list where the song is that is playing.
    This is implemented. You have to scroll through the list once for it to work though. This use to implemented better, but the problem is reading the entire playlist, especially if its 10,000 songs long takes a while so the list isn't read from the database until you scroll past the songs.

    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    A harder implementation for the mp3 playlist would be grouping similar categories - i.e. "alternative" and "alternative rock," etc.
    Again, this would have performance issues with large playlists.

    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    For the navigation, you lose the ability to select the volume control, unless you bring it up before going to navigation. Reinstating the button to show/hide the volume on the map would be great. Of course points of interest are a little lacking in the software package, but I know mp3car is working on that one.
    Theres no room for a volume control button, but again this can be changed with the skin editor... I have the 06 map data now and the points of interest are vastly different. I dont' think the actual number changed alot, since they deleted alot of non existing ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    A contrasting skin option (i.e. silver) would be good to change to for different lighting and an implementation of a gama control would help as well. There is a freeware gama control that is found in the RoadRunner software package that I believe would be easy to adapt to the software package and would probably help with the daytime visibility.
    StreetDeck implements backlight control, but isn't supported on any platforms we sell yet. We will be releasing a developer edition as software only and the development tools for free which should help in getting people to customize the skin. Generic gamma control is proably a v2.0 feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    For implementations that go way over the top, I think it would be cool if you could create an address/phone book that would take an outlook (or csv) import and allow you to search, add, navigate (as a destination), and dial (if option is available) from.
    Already implemented... Importing Navigation POIs in StreetDeck


    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    --where is the sdk? it would be nice to have the keys to the kingdom to start work on a few of my wishes
    Its already distributed with every copy... Start | Programs |StreetDeck | Skin Editor It is going to be greatly improved with the next release which should be up possibly today, but definitly this week along with some documentation and examples.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  7. #7
    StreetDeck Skinning Master 06TC_OWNER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    This is implemented. You have to scroll through the list once for it to work though. This use to implemented better, but the problem is reading the entire playlist, especially if its 10,000 songs long takes a while so the list isn't read from the database until you scroll past the songs.
    If it's playing the song, doesn't it know where it's located in the list without a scroll?


    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    Theres no room for a volume control button, but again this can be changed with the skin editor... I have the 06 map data now and the points of interest are vastly different. I dont' think the actual number changed alot, since they deleted alot of non existing ones.
    No Room for the bar maybe, but the button to show and hide it, don't you have most of the right hand side to do that with?

    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    StreetDeck implements backlight control, but isn't supported on any platforms we sell yet. We will be releasing a developer edition as software only and the development tools for free which should help in getting people to customize the skin. Generic gamma control is proably a v2.0 feature.
    What does that mean not supported? Does that mean you have not given the option to the customer?

    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    Already implemented... Importing Navigation POIs in StreetDeck



    Its already distributed with every copy... Start | Programs |StreetDeck | Skin Editor It is going to be greatly improved with the next release which should be up possibly today, but definitly this week along with some documentation and examples.
    Great on the import thing - I will have to play with that and see if that is what I was talking about - if not we can script that too or use the sdk that's supposed to come out.

  8. #8
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by 06TC_OWNER
    If it's playing the song, doesn't it know where it's located in the list without a scroll?



    No Room for the bar maybe, but the button to show and hide it, don't you have most of the right hand side to do that with?


    What does that mean not supported? Does that mean you have not given the option to the customer?


    Great on the import thing - I will have to play with that and see if that is what I was talking about - if not we can script that too or use the sdk that's supposed to come out.
    Yes

    I'm sure you can find room for it somewhere, but we are not going to make that change ourselves. The lack of the volume button there was a conscience design decision. Buttons that aren't accessible from a remote control get a low priority and that is one of them.

    Screens with built in brightness control are not avialable anywhere yet.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate geekinsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    60
    A few more suggestions.

    General:

    Speed sensative volume using the speed as reported by GPS. A configurable augmentation per 10mph would be cool.

    An indication of some kind that you have a valid wireless/inet connection. Maybe even the ability to display wireless strength as a panel/overlay option like you have for bluetooth.

    Navigation:

    In Navigation, a "Make a U turn" direction. Right now if you drive in the wrong direction but on the right road, it just keeps rerouting, showing the directions in the opposite way as if you are driving the right way.

    A way to clear out the "favorites" and "recent destinations" in Navigation.

    In your default skin, on the navigation route page, the favorites button ends up below the overlay for current media playing.

    Sat Radio:

    In XM Radio, a way to toggle between just your presets and all channels in the "whats on" page.

    When auto detecting XM, by default try "XM Direct Compatibility" mode after trying without or at least note it in the pop up. I spent days trying to get XM working, only to finally scroll down far enough to find this option. Newb mistake yes, but it would make your product cleaner.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
  2. XM Station list is rather slow
    By DaveB in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
  3. StreetDeck Fonts
    By god_of_cpu in forum DigitalMods (Scripts / API)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 05:21 PM
  4. StreetDeck File Extentions (.sdu and .sdz)
    By god_of_cpu in forum StreetDeck F.A.Q.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
  5. thumbnail view for folder and list view for file?
    By civic5zigen in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •