So what's in it for the beta testers? A free licence.
Have performed some preliminary tests today:
(So far in non-moving position, will update it with driving tests tonight...)
Current address (GPS location, Office):
Street: Unterdorfstr. 66
State: BE (Bern)
- Installed version 184.108.40.206 tries to load North American maps
- Overwritten with exe from sd_europe.zip - now loads MP Europe
- Static position:
- GPS position tracked correctly
- Searching for address:
Destination type "Address"
- correctly displayed current state (Bern) from GPS location
- most of the times displays "No locations could be found..." when looking-up an address
- in rare case when it find something it appears to be overseas US location, with some ridiculous mileage (like 1012.9 mi) (might be no GPS fix)
Destination type "Place by Name"
- finds correct place, but list is overloaded with lots of other "sounds-similar" places (image)
- also, sometimes assumes the current position somewhere 5000 miles away (no GPS fix ?)
Destination type "POI"
- Creating route - checked "Road speeds" settings - there were some strange values. reverted to defaults (now looking reasonable):
dist: ~ 3 mi
- Shortest time - routes via main roads. close to optimal but at the end switches to the almost undriveable shortcut (image)
- Shortest distance - in general is like above but with questionable shortcuts (image)
- least use of Highways - routes through hills and almost-walkways. very curved, definitely not shortest (?) (image)
- most use of Highways – finally, the only route I'd recommend for driving. (image)
- Resuming route
- Message box text misses name of the last route/destination to resume (image)
In progress. Will try it later tonight
- Some UI notes
- the Back ("<-") symbol on the navigation screen is a bit confusing: there is big "N" from the map close to it, so it easily can be read as "North is to the left"
- when clicking on the disabled UI element (such as current route option in "reroute" screen, the pulsing highlight jumps to the upper-left corner of the first element in the screen, shrinking into point) (image)
- It would be good to have some status area that displays full scrollable name of destination entry from the list of searched destinations – most of the text does not fit in the display area (image)
- Most of the in-car navigations have separate selection for local road and highway usage, such as "Prefer/stay away from Highways" and "Shortest/Fastest/Prefer main roads" options
Most of current issues are quite basic, so it would be great if you'd try MapPoint Europe with some GPS unit that supplies fake European positions.
This is what I need you to do for me. Can you run with -recordgps and e-mail me the GPS recording logs as per the first post.
Also, please e-mail me a few addresses that it has failed to find.
Include your machine codes in the e-mail and I will give you a registration code.
Boo! I really, really, really want to test the software to the level of Tomcat but can't because my software incorrectly thinks the trial has expired. After 2 days.
I'm not bothered about the 15 minutes issue, I just want to be able to load the software! Is there any way to reset it to give me a *real* 30 days?
Once again, I installed SD on a fresh machine. I've not tampered with the clock or anything.
Help me Obi-wan-Kenobi, you're my only hope....
FYI, common GPS devices output NMEA 0183 V2.0 sentences... 4800,8,N,1
Finally succeeded with reinstalling Windows again, setup 220.127.116.11 and update streetdeck.exe from sd_europe.zip.