Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: GPS tracking

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate debugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    313

    GPS tracking

    I was wondering people that use EVDO cards... Wouldn't it be nice to have an app or plug in that will fetch gps data or log it and send it over EVDO network to your server. Example use: tracking, fighting the speed tickets in court (by using speed, log/lat, time data from gps), etc...\


    http://www.richins.net/stompbox/

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Something like WhereIsMyGPS that Leddy wrote or GPSSecure that xBrady wrote?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate gosmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fresno,CA
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Something like WhereIsMyGPS that Leddy wrote or GPSSecure that xBrady wrote?
    I've been using WhereIsMyGps for a month or so, its pretty decent.. The client needs a little work but it works great..

  4. #4
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by debugger View Post
    I was wondering people that use EVDO cards... Wouldn't it be nice to have an app or plug in that will fetch gps data or log it and send it over EVDO network to your server. Example use: tracking, fighting the speed tickets in court (by using speed, log/lat, time data from gps), etc...\
    I'd actually like to see an app that, using one or more USB webcams and a GPS logger to atually log timestamped images that coincide with GPS coordinates.

    Regardless of integration into SD, an app like this could provide evidence of just about anything that happens within the view of the camera.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #5
    FLAC sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,375
    ha! I've had that idea for a while darq. what I wanted to do was record video + gps. and then divide the videos based on nodes in the map. The idea being that an avi of a route can be reconstructed based on node segments.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate gosmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fresno,CA
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    I'd actually like to see an app that, using one or more USB webcams and a GPS logger to atually log timestamped images that coincide with GPS coordinates.

    Regardless of integration into SD, an app like this could provide evidence of just about anything that happens within the view of the camera.
    Also, I remember hearing a while back about some kinda car alarm like this, It had some sort of wide angel PTZ camera, that would watch your car.. It was like a basic PVR, kept 1 min clips of video, if something triggered it, it keeps the video. So if someone backs into your car, etc you can hopefully get a plate number..

    I was thinking about something like this but using a seperate system that was a very low power system with 1-2 pvr-150 (or some other mpeg encoder board) to encode video into a myth-tv linux system, then use that to do whatever naughty's to the video (Embed long/lat, time) and hand it off to the SD Video folder (hopefully with some sort of update trigger for SD)..


    I know its way overkill, but that alarm system went for almost $6000, something that nerds can create for about $600 bux..

  7. #7
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    I was thinking more for commercial use...
    Something that I, as a systems engineer, could install into small fleets (limousines, taxis, courier services, florists, etc.) for this very porpose.
    My idea is more tracking for a business, with the timestamped stills coinciding with GPS information for insurance/liability purposes.

    A limo company owner could know if his cars are being used by a driver to cart around friends instead of passengers.
    The images could be used as evidence in case of an accident.
    The GPS information could be useful if the vehicle is stolen.
    And so on...
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  8. #8
    FLAC sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,375
    images would in fact be better, 'cos then you don't have any avi divides to deal with.

    it's an interesting concept, and if noone else does it, I'll add it to the list of things to do in my frontend. If only I didn't have to work!

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    371
    i used to work for a company that did most of that. the only thing they didnt have was an onboard camera. I hate this company because of the way they treat thier installers but check out www.teletrac.net. it is a really nice system and can do all types of things
    2003 Ford F-250 7.3L Diesel Crew Cab

    Pictures of my truck, hobbies, and more HERE

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate debugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by gosmondson View Post
    Also, I remember hearing a while back about some kinda car alarm like this, It had some sort of wide angel PTZ camera, that would watch your car.. It was like a basic PVR, kept 1 min clips of video, if something triggered it, it keeps the video. So if someone backs into your car, etc you can hopefully get a plate number..

    I was thinking about something like this but using a seperate system that was a very low power system with 1-2 pvr-150 (or some other mpeg encoder board) to encode video into a myth-tv linux system, then use that to do whatever naughty's to the video (Embed long/lat, time) and hand it off to the SD Video folder (hopefully with some sort of update trigger for SD)..


    I know its way overkill, but that alarm system went for almost $6000, something that nerds can create for about $600 bux..
    You should look into "activewebcam" software for windows... I use it and I love it. Perfect for video survailance on your vehicle.. Streams sent to a server...through http/ftp.

Similar Threads

  1. tracking police gps
    By geoff897 in forum GPS
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
  2. Interesting GPS tracking software
    By Tred in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
  3. Newbie's guide
    By EBFoxbat in forum Newbie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
  4. GPS Tracking
    By OriginalNick2 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 04:38 PM
  5. Window Tint's effect on GPS signal
    By MoFo in forum GPS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 06:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •