Frequently Asked Questions
Power Supplies Inverters, DC-DC, and Foward Converters
- Inverters are a cheap and easy solution for powering your CarPC.
- DC-DC units are more efficent than an Inverter and typically will allow your CarPC to continue operation during cranking. These Units include the Opus, Keypower, Arise ACE-865V, and Arise ACE-916V
- Foward Converters modify a regular power supply into a DC-DC unit. More info can be found here.
Control See this thread.
Audio Input FM Modulators, Transmitters, Tape adapters, and Auxillary Input
- Tape adaptors are an inexpensive, low quality device for adding an extra input to your vehicles head unit.
- FM Modulators take a stereo input and modulates them into your vehicles head unit. FM Modulators are connected In-line with your vehicles antenna.
- FM Transmitters deliver a low quality signal via a wireless transmisson.
- Auxillary Inputs deliver a high quality input dierectly to your vehicles headunit. Some headunits support the addition of an Aux. Input via an adaptor.
- 4x40 Wiring Diagram (two controller)
- 2x40,4x20, and smaller wiring diagram (single controller)
- Winamp OpenSource LCD Plugin for various LCD & VFD modules
- Setting up a HD44780 compatible LCD module
- Setting up a 40x4 HD44780 compatible LCD module
- Best solution: Laptop (2.5") Hard Disk Drive or Solid State Storage (Compact Flash, Smartmedia, etc.)
- Mounting the drive perpendicular to the ground prevents the read/write head on the drive from "crashing" into the platters.
Q. Where can I get an adapter to convert a laptop CD/DVD drive to standard IDE
A. Try Baber.
- Want a MP3Car Usersite? Email email@example.com.
- This FAQ will never be finished. Hardware and software both change rapidly enough that we cannot keep up.
- You can buy or sell MP3Car stuff and other stuff in our Classifieds forum. Remember the read the Rules before posting.
This is in no way complete... just a quick version for tonight. Email additions/comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Good questions that should be answered for a Newbie
Ok I just stumbled on this forum today, and I am EXTREAMLY new to this carputer stuff, but very inturested. Some ideas for this board that i think would help out us newbies and keep redundent posts out of the main BB
1. Would be a Glossery!! (not everybody are Techheads and know what VGA, LCD TFT is. i know you could look it up, but some people would rather just make a thread called.. WHATS TFT!?!?!, now isnt that anoying!!)
2. Websites, A links list to basicly all the websites that known to man on this topic, and catagorize them like in INFO sites, sales sites, LCD sites, HDD sites, places to just look at a touchscreen layout (such as how the screen actualy looks), cases, motherboards, any and every kind of read you can think of on this topic
3. personal suggestions based on use would be great for various items
4. HOW-TO, anny and all how-to's on this forum should be compiled here (yeah search, but how many times can you say that to some one. if its put in a place where it can be easily accessed, u wont have multipul posts all over the place!!)
i dont know just thought it would make a better FAQ post if you got somebody with probably a bunch of FAQ and doesnt want to repost the hell out of the forum :D
any other ideas i can come up with as far as questions i'm having i'll post them up here, but i gotta get back to work ;)
but what i'm seeing so far is a great help to us newbies. :D
oh and pictures.. pictures pictures.. humans gain most of our information through images, u can only go so far with text, i know u have to be worried about the 56Kers, so just put a link (not just a link, but a link with text to let us know whats going on in the image, maby on the image or maby like right above the link :D)