Hardware Review: Soundstream Rearview Camera
I bought this one right after I bought the other one I reviewed...thinking that this one would be better.
I bought this off ebay, prices range from $95 plus shipping (ebay), to $319 (woofersetc.com). I am reviewing it because of a large lack of rearview camera reviews here...this will allow the shopper to see what features he should look for in a camera etc.
* Ultra mini sized rear view car camera with top of the line image quality
* water, fog, and dust resistant
* One chip package
* Wide angle lens - 150 Degrees
* Installs on any license plate (Universal)
* Damage and scratch resistant
* Back-Light compensation circuit automatically adjusts camera to the light (only found in high end models)
* Views up to 70 feet in back of you
* Compatible with all car monitors
* Easy to install
* 1/3" CCD 1 LUX Low Light Color Camera
* Multiple Camera Angle
* Din Connector & RCA Outputs
* Reversed Image
In daytime it gives a much crisper view...and a bit wider angle than my other one.
However at night it is not as good as the other one.
The big drawback for me is the electronics to run the camera are in an non-weatherproof box with small wires to the camera. This unit is designed to be installed into a trunk or hatchback...not the back end of a pickup. The camera itself is waterproof.
The way you install it is drill a hole for the camera mount to slide through (don't need to use their plastic frame), bolt it in place with a rubber washer to seal the hole, then plug it all in.
It comes with about 20' of cable that houses the electrical power and video signal...you can power the camera from either end of the cable. (front of vehicle or back)
(note the white mark on the camera indicates top)
Day shot. (note these are taken at exactly the same time as the other license plate camera I reviewed)
Night view (here is where the camera suffers a bit)
Like I said, these screen captures and the ones for the other camera were taken at the same time with the same lighting...and me pushing the trash can in the night view.
Oh, and I don't need this camera, so I am putting it up for sale...cost me $100...make an offer if interested.