Hardware Review: Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1
I'm going to style this after durwoods review of the Audiotrek. It just made things easier!
Hardware Review: Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1
What it is/does: High Performance 8 Channel Audiophile PCI soundcard
Reviewed by: RedGTiVR6
Manufacturer : Auzentech
Model: Auzen X-Meridian 7.1
- The C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 Audio Processor is the heart of the AUZEN X-MERIDIAN 7.1.
- 4 pcs 24-bit/192kHz AK4396VF (120dB-part spec.) DACs for 7.1channel output. (24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback)
- 1 pc 24-bit/192kHz AK5385VF(114dB-part spec.) ADC input (24-bit/192kHz recording)
- 1 pc CMI9780 AC'97 2.3 CODEC for AUX input, CD input, MIC input (16bit/48kHz playback/recording)
- Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF transmitter for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF output.
- Supports onboard high grade special COAX+OPTIC combo type transmitter module for up to 192kHz SPDIF out.
- Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF receiver for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF input.
- Supports onboard high grade special COAX+OPTIC combo type receiver module for up to 192kHz SPDIF input.
- Standard 10PIN Front Panel Audio supports connectivity for stereo audio output and a microphone input from most new chassis. (All 7.1channel analog output muted by jack connection sense of front panel headphone out / Dual MIC input available by back panel mic input and front panel mic input)
- DTS® Interactive - A real-time 5.1 channel encoder.
- DTS® Neo:PC - An upmix matrix technology.
- Dolby® Digital Live (DDL) - A real-time 5.1 channel encoding.
- Dolby® ProLogic IIx surround processor spreading stereo audio into 7.1 channel surround sound.
- Dolby® Headphone technology, conveying 5.1 surround and 3D gaming audio over stereo headphones.
- Dolby® Virtual Speaker solution, bringing amazing virtual surround sound fields via general two speakers.
- C-Media FlexBass™ - LFE channel crossover frequency setable from range 50 to 250Hz in Small speaker mode and Small/Large speaker selectable.
- C-Media Magic Voice™, popular feature for disguising your tone in online chatting.
- C-Media Xear 3D™ 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter technology.
- C-Media’s unique Karaoke functions: Microphone Echo, Key-shifting.
- Individual 10-band EQ for each channel,.27 global reverberation environments.
- Supports most industrial standards of 3D sound for PC gaming, including EAX™ 1.0 & 2.0, A3D™ 1.0, and DirectSound™.
- Swappable DIP type OPAMP controlled preamp out circuit (4pcs output control OPAMP IC with DIY socket)
- Surface mount type OPAMP controlled preamp input circuit (2pcs input control OPAMP for ADC and 1pc MIC input gain control)
- 5Vrms (Differential DAC output with gain adjustment / approximately full swing from +/- 8V dual power supply)
- Proper OPAMP control circuit (large capacity 1A +8V, -8V, dual power supply circuit) for high quality audio quality, prevent audio distortion at high volume level.
- Upgrade Extension available (Extra 6.35mm MIC / Extra Digital I/O sold separately)
- Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows® 98SE / ME / 2000 Service Pack 3(SP3) / XP Service Pack 1(SP1) / Server 2003 SP1/ XP Media Center Edition 2005 (MCE) / XP x64 Edition.
Rating: Untested, a 9/10.
I'd like to see the following:
RCA style jacks - but to get enough RCA jacks out on a card like this, it would have to have more than one normal sized back plate.
Manufacturer website: www.auzentech.com
Purchased at: http://www.newegg.com/
- High Quality Components
- User replaceable opamps
- Digital Optical IN and Out
- 5Vrms outputs (tested at both 60Hz and 1kHz to read 4.74v)
- As mentioned above, I would like to have seen female RCA jacks.
- There's almost too much stuff you can do with this card. For some that might be a pro. For my application, I'm marking it as a con because I want to be sure that all processing is turned off on the card so that I can do it all via the software that I choose.
- I would like to see more analog outputs, but again, I'm sure that for most people this card will have plenty of outputs.
- I don't believe there is any 'directwire' program like other cards have. However, this should be controllable via some outboard software programs.