Ubuntu Mobile - the next gen Car PC frontend!?
Check this out!
It is rather interesting (and pretty).
Offers a lot of potential in terms of in car usage.
Note that it has finger-friendliness in mind as well.
Hopefully it will offer a better solution to in car Bluetooth handsfree than the current Windows offerings too. But we need to find some decent sat nav software on the Linux platform first.
Source : Ubuntu Mobile
Ubuntu Mobile is an Ubuntu edition that targets an exciting new class of computers called Mobile Internet Devices. Ubuntu Mobile, based on the world’s most popular Linux distribution, and MID hardware from OEMs and ODMs, are redefining what can be done in mobile computing.
Ubuntu Mobile, a fully open source project, gives full Internet, with no compromise. Custom options may include licensed codecs and popular third-party applications.
* Full Web 2.0/AJAX fidelity, with custom options of Adobe Flash®, Java, and more
* Outstanding media playback so you can enjoy videos, music and photos with superior quality and easy navigation
* A suite of applications that work seamlessly to meet every need of a digital parent, student or anyone who is on-the-go
* Facebook®, MySpace®, YouTube®, Dailymotion®, 3D games, GPS, maps, in short, the full Web 2.0 experience delivered into your hands as a compact and powerful device that’s easy and fun to use
The product of Canonical collaboration with Intel® and the open source community, Ubuntu Mobile is the software that makes it all possible.
Ubuntu Mobile just works, and it works just right.
Just the right applications provide an uncompromised Web 2.0 experience: Web browsing, email, media, camera, VoIP, instant messaging, GPS, blogging, digital TV, games, contacts, dates/calendar, simple software updates… and lots more.
All unnecessary complexity in the user experience is eliminated.
Ubuntu Mobile is finger friendly, with no stylus needed. You drive Ubuntu Mobile with touch. Simply tap the screen or drag a finger to make gestures for intuitive navigation and control.
* Tap an application with your finger to launch it, and tap menus and buttons to use them.
* Swipe a web page to pan up, down or sideways.
* Swipe a video, photo, song or thumbnail page to move to the next or the previous one.
MIDs typically have the following features and attributes:
* Small size/form factor
* 4 to 7 inch touch screen
* Physical and/or virtual keyboard
* Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, WiMAX
* 2GB to 8GB Flash or disk storage, 256MB+ memory/512MB+ recommended
* OpenGL 3D
* USB, camera, head phone jack, speakers, microphone
Clutter User Interface
Flash User Interface
Ubuntu Mobile is highly flexible and customizable. It is an ideal platform for the kind of product differentiation that reaches target users and penetrates key markets.
* User interface in HTML, Flash, Clutter, Python with GTK, C/C++ with GTK and Java
* Different application sets for different products or configurations
* Integration with popular Web 2.0 sites
* Internationalization and translation support to meet market requirements
* Custom sets of licensed media codecs and third-party proprietary software for commercial partners
* Custom engineering
OEMs, ODMs, operators and developers can customize Ubuntu Mobile to their desired look and feel and offer just the right capabilities to meet their specific requirements. Canonical can assist through its Custom Engineering program.
For information about Canonical custom engineering services, email [email protected].
The Ubuntu Mobile community includes many individuals and organizations and always welcomes new participants and partners.
Places to get started: