View Poll Results: Would you be intersted in a USB amp as described?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not at all, you can put it where I think!

    3 11.54%
  • Only if it was really cheap, say $50

    10 38.46%
  • Only if it was cheap, about $100

    5 19.23%
  • This is the thing I was born for, send me one now!

    8 30.77%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 135

Thread: Small and simple USB audio amp anyone?

  1. #31
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by benedums View Post
    I think this would be very doable,
    I have thought about designing a USB-amp using the TAA4100A and CM106L chips.

    The TAA4100A is the Tripath 4x100 and the CM106L is a USB audio chip (the same one used in the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie.

    The USB chip also has SPDIF in/out, Stereo Mic in, Analog lin in/out, volume control (could connect to analog volume switch like steering wheel contols), C-Media software drivers, 2-8 channel support.

    Here are links to the datasheets;

    TAA1004A

    CM106-F/L

    Both dataseets have application circuits (reference designs) and should work together, I think.
    It is defenately doable, but we're going for a simpler design. The cmedia ic's aren't easy to get in small quantities and the amp would seriously impact the size and power requirements...

    In a second phase we're planning to have a real 6 or 8 channel dac and maybe a bigger amp...

    Joachim

  2. #32
    Low Bitrate benedums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by JC-S60 View Post
    It is defenately doable, but we're going for a simpler design. The cmedia ic's aren't easy to get in small quantities and the amp would seriously impact the size and power requirements...

    In a second phase we're planning to have a real 6 or 8 channel dac and maybe a bigger amp...

    Joachim
    True, if you are planing on using only USB 1.1 with no driver you will want to "keep it simple".
    However, as someone noted before, most of us have or should have a MB with USB 2.0.

    The CM106 can be adjusted to output 2-8 channels and I was only planing on using one of the TAA1004A's providing 4ch at ~ 65Watts RMS with a 12Vdc input. it would also have line outs for sub, center or aux...

    The Tripath is a low power chip and the entire board would be less than 75mm x 100mm (3"x4"). That should be small enough to drop in anywhere.

    As far as sourcing components, that's always an issue for small production...

    Were you planning on powering your amp from the USB power or having an external power source? 5V isn't that much...

    I'm sure there would be demand for both a USB1.1 or 2.0.

    How about working on two designs one 1.1 and one 2.0 with a more advanced chip/amp?
    Let me know if you need any PCB design work as that is one of the things I do.
    Sailin
    ________________________________________
    CarPC Status:
    Planning.......[--------x-] 90%
    Parts..........[------x---] 70%
    Fabrication....[----x-----] 50%
    ________________________________________

  3. #33
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    First prototype is running, first production PCB's are on their way!


  4. #34
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863

  5. #35
    Car Audio Moderator durwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland (St. Charles,IL)
    Posts
    2,028
    Looks cool! I think there will be good demand for these even though there wasn't much reaction to them.

  6. #36
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    359
    Nice wee usb amp you have there. Personally I think benedums idead of the CMedia chip (CM106-F/L) with a multi channel Tripath amp could provide a great solution (I'd go all out with a bridgeable 8 channel solution).

    I'm currently using Triapth amps in both my home and one of my car setups, and for the small amounts of power they consume, the audio quality is teriffic.

    PS what's would you consider and acceptable price on the cmedia chips (for low volume)?

  7. #37
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by pokki View Post
    Nice wee usb amp you have there. Personally I think benedums idead of the CMedia chip (CM106-F/L) with a multi channel Tripath amp could provide a great solution (I'd go all out with a bridgeable 8 channel solution).

    I'm currently using Triapth amps in both my home and one of my car setups, and for the small amounts of power they consume, the audio quality is teriffic.

    PS what's would you consider and acceptable price on the cmedia chips (for low volume)?
    Considering all other costs, the chip would have to be in the 10-20 price range, but all depends on the price customers are willing to pay...do you have some info that could help us?
    We are still considering building a bigger version (maybe based on the tripath amps, maybe using 2x our current amplifier) so I'm very interested in anything that could help us along.

    Joachim

  8. #38
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by benedums View Post
    True, if you are planing on using only USB 1.1 with no driver you will want to "keep it simple".
    However, as someone noted before, most of us have or should have a MB with USB 2.0.

    The CM106 can be adjusted to output 2-8 channels and I was only planing on using one of the TAA1004A's providing 4ch at ~ 65Watts RMS with a 12Vdc input. it would also have line outs for sub, center or aux...

    The Tripath is a low power chip and the entire board would be less than 75mm x 100mm (3"x4"). That should be small enough to drop in anywhere.

    As far as sourcing components, that's always an issue for small production...

    Were you planning on powering your amp from the USB power or having an external power source? 5V isn't that much...

    I'm sure there would be demand for both a USB1.1 or 2.0.

    How about working on two designs one 1.1 and one 2.0 with a more advanced chip/amp?
    Let me know if you need any PCB design work as that is one of the things I do.
    Sorry, I overlooked the questions in the post...

    We are using 12v from the car to power the amp - the 5v @ 500mA from USB wouldn't cut it at all.
    The USB 1.1 isn't really an important factor, just an advantage in terms of signal trouble.

    We are working on 2 designs right now - one 2 channel and one surround. Just not sure the second one will be a viable build...

    Joachim

  9. #39
    cheap custom title JC-S60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ghent - Belgium
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    Looks cool! I think there will be good demand for these even though there wasn't much reaction to them.
    Thanks, I hope so too

    Joachim

  10. #40
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    359
    Considering all other costs, the chip would have to be in the 10-20 € price range, but all depends on the price customers are willing to pay...do you have some info that could help us?
    If you're happy to desolder the CM chip or build uppon an existing solution, I can help you source a complete CM106 USB soundcard for sub $25 USD.

Similar Threads

  1. Simple request - USB arrow pad that I can hack up?
    By sivart321 in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 01:47 PM
  2. Wanted : Small, Cheap, Simple PC
    By ukchris in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
  3. WTB: Small, simple case for Mini-ITX
    By dmurray14 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
  4. Simple, Small, Audio Mixer? Anyone?
    By techguy in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 01:45 AM
  5. Special audio preamp circuit
    By claylong in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 06:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •