Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 574

Thread: Production Double-Din VGA Touchscreen in the making!

  1. #151
    Maximum Bitrate bes51659's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vasastaden, Stockholms Län, Sweden, Sweden
    Posts
    852
    This hub comes with plastic thingies in the USB sockets.
    Kensington Hub - USB 2, 7 port
    Maybe they have mini-USB things too?

    What I think is that a dust cover would get lost anyway.

    Maybe the USB connector should be in the back (x2? x3?) and then it is up to everyone for them selves where to put the jack? If they need it. Together with the FireWire jack for the Video camera.

    Clove compartment, ashtray, console, in the little compartment for the iPod, etc.

    The important thing is that I don't need the external hub with separate 5V power supply.

  2. #152
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaaron16 View Post
    Mini-USB sounds like an excellent idea. How are things coming along Brett?
    Hi Aaron,

    Design is coming along pretty smoothly now. In fact I just received some more components this morning . The USB situation is going to be very tricky though. There is not enough room for a full sized USB port, the best would be a mini-USB port. Then you'd have to use an adapter to plug other devices in. What's worse is that I think the look of the bare mini-usb port is horrible. So, I was looking for a dust cover or something similar for them, but couldn't find anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by rigg419 View Post
    so in regards to one of your original questions - about whether we'd like to go with the 6.5" screen vs. a 7" - I would totally prefer the 6.5 if it means it will it into a standard double din opening. I had to shave .25 inches or more (top to bottom) from my 2001 tacoma radio bezel, and that was for a screen with the buttons on the side. If it had the buttons on the bottom it would have been worse. I would be happy to trade .5" of diagonal screen size if the return is a drop-in installation of the screen. Much less important is my personal opinion that the 6.5" is a wider widescreen, which fits better for the aspect ratios we generally use (like 840x480).

    Basically, since I'm lookin to replace all my components after my car got broken into and all, I'd be happy to buy the version you don't sell anymore just for the convenience of the install. it's totally worth the extra $ IMO
    It has been decided that we will go with the 6.5" screen and the native double-din form factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by bes51659 View Post
    This hub comes with plastic thingies in the USB sockets.
    Kensington Hub - USB 2, 7 port
    Maybe they have mini-USB things too?

    What I think is that a dust cover would get lost anyway.

    Maybe the USB connector should be in the back (x2? x3?) and then it is up to everyone for them selves where to put the jack? If they need it. Together with the FireWire jack for the Video camera.

    Clove compartment, ashtray, console, in the little compartment for the iPod, etc.

    The important thing is that I don't need the external hub with separate 5V power supply.
    I agree. There will be either 4 or 6 USB ports on the rear of the unit already. Would it be too much of a hassle to buy a 3' extension and drop it into your glove box to allow USB access when needed? Aaron, what do you think?

    Thanks,
    - Brett

  3. #153
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    38
    Sounds excellent. I have no problem using only rear USB connectors, especially if it means more real estate on the front.

  4. #154
    Low Bitrate andyhardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bexhill, East Sussex, England
    Posts
    82
    I've no objection to using a short extension lead to the glovebox - it's an ideal location for USB hubs and normally requires no cutting of a customer's car.

    I sent you an e-mail, did you receive it?

    Keep up the good work!

    Thanks,

    Andy

  5. #155
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaaron16 View Post
    Sounds excellent. I have no problem using only rear USB connectors, especially if it means more real estate on the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhardy View Post
    I've no objection to using a short extension lead to the glovebox - it's an ideal location for USB hubs and normally requires no cutting of a customer's car.

    I sent you an e-mail, did you receive it?

    Keep up the good work!

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Great, sounds like a plan! I'll forget about the USB connectors on the front unless something else comes up in the meantime.

    Andy, I received an email a while back and responded, did you ever receive my response?

    - Brett

  6. #156
    Constant Bitrate rigg419's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbmw99 View Post


    It has been decided that we will go with the 6.5" screen and the native double-din form factor.


    I agree. There will be either 4 or 6 USB ports on the rear of the unit already. Would it be too much of a hassle to buy a 3' extension and drop it into your glove box to allow USB access when needed? Aaron, what do you think?

    Thanks,
    - Brett
    excellent news about the screen size, that's great.

    As far as the USB situation, I agree that there's no need for a front port. I do plug and unplug some USB stuff a lot (like a thumb drive or usb cable for my smartphone, but I could easily run a hub wherever I want (like the glove box or my center console) and if the front USB is a hassle for you to implement it, it's not really that important of a feature IMO.

    Honestly, I can't wait for this new screen to come out. i'm going to use a manual flip out screen with a single din stereo until you release this thing. Do you still think it will be available for us to buy in May?

  7. #157
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    This project looks awesome.... looking at the infill g4 but this sounds better. Anymore updates?

    Lee

  8. #158
    Maximum Bitrate bes51659's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vasastaden, Stockholms Län, Sweden, Sweden
    Posts
    852
    I do not want to be inpolite, and maybe I'm the last person who should be talking, but its been little over a day since Brett gave last update.

    Give the man a break and let him work...

    Again, I don't want to make anyone upset..

  9. #159
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by bes51659 View Post
    I do not want to be inpolite, and maybe I'm the last person who should be talking, but its been little over a day since Brett gave last update.

    Give the man a break and let him work...

    Again, I don't want to make anyone upset..


    Things are still progressing. I've been working on the LCD controller lately. I'm still trying to find a decent LCD driver IC that can scale the incoming VGA signals both up AND down to fit the LCD. Working hard at it though!

    We're still looking at sometime in May or June for the first small run. Keep an eye on our website in the coming days for a sign-up list to reserve yours.

    New & improved CAD pictures to come in a week or so as well.

    - Brett

  10. #160
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    sorry mate... but its a little longer here due to timezones :-). I have been looking at these for the last 2 years and a little disappointed of the options.

    just getting a little excited here. Thanks for the update Mrbmw99

Similar Threads

  1. Double din VGA monitor
    By afarre in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
  3. 1/2 DIN size touchscreen
    By TheTreeHouse in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
  4. Double Din VGA Touch Screen?
    By mswanson00 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 01:21 AM
  5. Double Din to Single Din
    By loganm in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •