If I could get a unit with the following options, I would pounce on an order of over 100 units almost immediately.
1. Software accessible buttons with BACKLIGHT (at least 6 please). Something such as this: http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/graphics/pfd.jpg (notice how the buttons are positioned so the on-screen menus can line up with them). Here’s another decent looking design: http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/405567...1156943447.jpg
2. >= 400 nits brightness (or transflective option)*
3. Double DIN compatibility - no need for dash modification.
Nice to have:
1. Black finish.
2. Windows CE with available BSP as done by VIA.
3. SD or CF slot to allow easy upgrading/maintenance.
5. Built-in USB port.
Will you be running Windows CE? Do you have a processor in mind? Have you considered creating your own LCD backlight using white LEDs? I'd imagine the power consumption would be reduced somewhat.
As background info, I would be using this for a custom software application in emergency vehicles (ambulances mainly – 95% of which are Ford E or F series). For this reason, brightness and durability have the most weight of all my needs. Being able to navigate my application's menu using the buttons will prevent the LCD from being poked at 24/7, so it's important to have this feature.
Also, if it's possible, I'd like to have the ability to run my application on the device itself, as opposed to using an external PC (save a bit on total costs).
I must say I'm quite excited to finally come across a device that meets my needs. Based on the trends and requirements of my field, this device will be in demand for not only the car enthusiasts, but also for industrial/commercial applications. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer.