Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: VOICES Traffic Data

  1. #11
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Have started this morning along with a few other things, I will keep the first post updated with more info as I get somewhere
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  2. #12
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    67
    sounds great y'all!

  3. #13
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    @Stevig: If you need webspace, mysql and PHP access, I can provide you wish an account on my webserver (the same as Satish uses for VOICES). Currently I have about 140 Gb of free space on my server, so space is not a problem.

    Obviously the key to a successful interface is to keep the amount of data transferred to a minimum. The client (VOICES) already has the maps, so no maps would need to be transferred. Obviously some method of parssing websites would be needed, and each new website added would need it's own parser.

    I know for the UK, Route 66 application has an 'update traffic' button. You may want to sniff / Etherreal the communication with the Route 66 server. I presume it's eithere an FTP or HTTP pull. You could then use the same data format for communication as them. Route 66 software can be found at www.66.com If you need some Ethereal trace I can get that for you.
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    Update: I notice that Route 66 now provide traffic info for: "Free up-to-date traffic information for NL, F, I, D, and GB "

    Let's just use their interface!!! Free data!!! Route 66 has just entered the US Market as well, so hopefully before long they maybe a good source for US Traffic data.

    Andrew
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

  5. #15
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy76
    @Stevig: If you need webspace, mysql and PHP access, I can provide you wish an account on my webserver (the same as Satish uses for VOICES). Currently I have about 140 Gb of free space on my server, so space is not a problem.
    Thanks for the offer, if the traffic gets expensive I might take you up on that! At the moment, I've just added MySQL to my existing web hosting.

    Quote Originally Posted by skippy76
    Obviously the key to a successful interface is to keep the amount of data transferred to a minimum. The client (VOICES) already has the maps, so no maps would need to be transferred. Obviously some method of parssing websites would be needed, and each new website added would need it's own parser.
    Indeed, that's exactly what I'm doing. I've written a couple of parsers already, I'm just re-working them from on-demand to scheduled (every 5 mins) to keep the lot in a single up-to-date db table.

    Quote Originally Posted by skippy76
    I know for the UK, Route 66 application has an 'update traffic' button. You may want to sniff / Etherreal the communication with the Route 66 server. I presume it's eithere an FTP or HTTP pull. You could then use the same data format for communication as them. Route 66 software can be found at www.66.com If you need some Ethereal trace I can get that for you.
    We're defininately on the same train of thought. I've already done as you suggest for Route 66, which I bought a while back, but the location data doesn't seem to be lat/lon.

    Here is the URL it uses for UK: http://rs0124.66.com:8080/tmc?time=0&l=ENG&m=eng8&u=1
    and here is the URL for Germany: http://rs0124.66.com:8080/tmc?time=0&l=ENG&m=deu8&u=1

    Be good if someone can convert this, I've had a brief look but doesn't seem to be any recognised representation of lat/lon. Quick script I wrote a few weeks ago to make it importable into MapPoint is http://supra.aston.ac.uk/tmc.php but that shows that the lat/lon is wrong.

    The first feed that I've got working and plotting the correct locations comes from this URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/xml/tpegml_en/rtm.xml - Which gets and shares data with the UK highways agency - http://www.tih.org.uk/TIH/Index.do
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  6. #16
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    Ah, have done a little googling... It appears that the system that Route 66 uses is a stanard called TMC (Traffic Message Channel). Which is used for Traffic Desemination.

    http://www.catsmpo.com/itsarc/illino...ace/eqpd94.htm

    http://itsarch.iteris.com/itsarch/html/ep/ep94_b.htm

    http://www.tmcforum.com/tmc/what_is.htm

    Basically some sort of Proxy would be needed to take TMC data and change it to http. This is what Route 66 provides...

    Maybe it would be better to provide a TMC client on VOICES.
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

  7. #17
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy76
    Ah, have done a little googling... It appears that the system that Route 66 uses is a stanard called TMC (Traffic Message Channel). Which is used for Traffic Desemination.

    http://www.catsmpo.com/itsarc/illino...ace/eqpd94.htm

    http://itsarch.iteris.com/itsarch/html/ep/ep94_b.htm

    http://www.tmcforum.com/tmc/what_is.htm

    Basically some sort of Proxy would be needed to take TMC data and change it to http. This is what Route 66 provides...

    Maybe it would be better to provide a TMC client on VOICES.
    See my previous post, also have you any idea how to change the TMC data route 66 provides to lat/lon?
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  8. #18
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    Ok, so... as I see, the output from the URL: http://rs0124.66.com/tmc?time=0&v=1&...8&z=1&u=286068

    Is obviously binary data of some sort... now we need to try and figure out the format of this data as it's not ascii and thus not readable. Any one have any thoughts? or knows someone who has access to Route 66 source code ;-)
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    485
    Now if only i could find something similar for Toronto
    ----------------------
    VIA Epia II
    256MB 266DDR Ram
    90GB Wester Digital
    Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    ----------------------
    Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

  10. #20
    Maximum Bitrate skippy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Posts
    507
    Well, I'm sure there are TMC sources out there for Canada. The idea is that Stevieg produces the ultimate source of traffic data via his site, which would make use of as many different data sources as possible.
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Voices Navigation Interface
    By antimatter in forum V.O.I.C.E.S
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:49 PM
  2. Online Traffic Data (UK)
    By stevieg in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 03:14 PM
  3. SPOT watch data in CarPC
    By Alric in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Offline Traffic Information
    By ukchris in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
  5. Cold hard drive fluid bearing data loss
    By Mikesz in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 08:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •