Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Use Windows Mobile phone as carputer

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6

    Use Windows Mobile phone as carputer

    I have had a HTC Touch Pro for a few months now and have been researching whether it is possible to use it as a carputer (for gps, hands free calling, and internet radio among other things) controlled by a external touchscreen. Here is a thread I started on another forum a few months ago discussing this possibility.

    Ultimately what I want to do is have the touchscreen mounted on top of my dash and make some sort of docking station for my phone (with audio/video output and usb input to touchscreen) under my head unit and probably replace the head unit with a equalizer to send the phone's audio to amps.

    The tricky part will be figuring out how to get a windows mobile phone to recognize a touchscreen as a usb input but from the reading I have done it looks like it may be possible. Unfortunately I don't have the programming skills (or time) to figure this out. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some info on how (or if) this can be done.

    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it.

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Naples, Floridaaaaaaa
    Posts
    109

    quick phone integration

    how about using my mobiler?

    www.mymobiler.com

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiLong View Post
    how about using my mobiler?

    www.mymobiler.com
    That would require a computer. What I want to do is use the phone as the computer. My phone has all the functions I need for a carputer but I just need to figure out how to get usb host on it so I can use a touchscreen to control the phone. Read the link I posted in my first thread, it explains better what I am talking about.

  4. #4
    Organic Me
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fells Point, Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,287
    Blog Entries
    48
    This is the right place to be posting, we at mp3car are very interested in this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx View Post
    I have had a HTC Touch Pro for a few months now and have been researching whether it is possible to use it as a carputer (for gps, hands free calling, and internet radio among other things) controlled by a external touchscreen. Here is a thread I started on another forum a few months ago discussing this possibility.

    Ultimately what I want to do is have the touchscreen mounted on top of my dash and make some sort of docking station for my phone (with audio/video output and usb input to touchscreen) under my head unit and probably replace the head unit with a equalizer to send the phone's audio to amps.

    The tricky part will be figuring out how to get a windows mobile phone to recognize a touchscreen as a usb input but from the reading I have done it looks like it may be possible. Unfortunately I don't have the programming skills (or time) to figure this out. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some info on how (or if) this can be done.

    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please move it.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    love my htc raphael. i thought about going the route of using my phone instead of a carpc. i could not find the answer to this question. i love my budget built carpc btw

    i dont remember if linking to other forums is against policy but xda-developers has alot of winmo information (plenty of talented coders too)

    i do know that we can video out. so it seems feasible. i'm pretty sure thats something that needs to be customed. especially since their are not alot of people who want to carry around another touchscreen to control a touchscreen device.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28
    i tried this a while ago and there are a few fundamental problems with using any WM device as a carputer. i was using a Dell Axim x50v (with the 3d graphics chip) if you're not familiar- it has a 624mHz proc. as well as 64MB ram, 128MB flash, sd/cf, wifi, bluetooth, and a 3.7" vga screen.

    to give a brief background- i hack pocket pc/wm devices. i performed multiple hacks to speed up the menus, and optimize performance overall. the main issue i have with using WM as a carputer is it's inability to effectively multitask. if you want to listen to music and use nav at the same time, good luck. you have to have all programs installed to sd/cf and all avail mem dedicated to program mem.

    as for using another screen for control- i have not found anything that will work. i did, however, happen across a VERY useful app called Nyditot Virtual Display. this allows you to use the screen of the pda as a touchpad mouse, and feed the video thru any sort of video out your pda offers. the axim has vga out, so it hooks directly into a computer monitor. when used with a bluetooth keyboard, you can easily browse the web or use a remote desktop client/vnc as if you were using a regular computer.

    when you use the WM phone, you also need to realize when you receive a call/txt/email it takes away usable memory from running apps to complete the delivery/acknowledgment protocol. now the axim did not have a phone builtin, it was just a pda. but if im using my samsung i760 (a pretty nice newer WM phone) to play music- it glitches regardless of the app im using to play. it's only for a second, but still. that's just annoying. even if there's no glitch, it's still gonna take a bit to load whatever new apps your trying to run.

    all in all, yes, your phone/pda can do each task reasonably well, but cannot do more than 1 (or 2 if your lucky) at the same time. i have, however found a way to make use of the pda in the car environment. until i purchase the car for the computer that i've built, i won't buy a screen. so while i drive around my beater car- with car-puter installed- i control my frontend (centrafuse) with my axim's touchscreen, thru remote desktop over wifi. what's great is that there's no delay at all. it's a perfect remote. hell, i'm almost compelled to velcro it to my steering wheel, and mount the dock for it in my center console for charging.

    best of luck with your project tho, please post anything you come across too. i'm always looking for new ways to use old toys.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by do7d View Post
    i tried this a while ago and there are a few fundamental problems with using any WM device as a carputer. i was using a Dell Axim x50v (with the 3d graphics chip) if you're not familiar- it has a 624mHz proc. as well as 64MB ram, 128MB flash, sd/cf, wifi, bluetooth, and a 3.7" vga screen.

    to give a brief background- i hack pocket pc/wm devices. i performed multiple hacks to speed up the menus, and optimize performance overall. the main issue i have with using WM as a carputer is it's inability to effectively multitask. if you want to listen to music and use nav at the same time, good luck. you have to have all programs installed to sd/cf and all avail mem dedicated to program mem.
    I have tried using gps and streaming internet radio at the same time on my Touch Pro and have had no problems (after a bunch of reg edits). Basically that is all I would want to do with it and use my stereo for hands free calling (I would probably have to mod some sort of connector for a mic to do that). The only problem I am running into is getting usb host to work on my Pro (if it is even possible).

    Quote Originally Posted by do7d View Post
    as for using another screen for control- i have not found anything that will work. i did, however, happen across a VERY useful app called Nyditot Virtual Display. this allows you to use the screen of the pda as a touchpad mouse, and feed the video thru any sort of video out your pda offers. the axim has vga out, so it hooks directly into a computer monitor. when used with a bluetooth keyboard, you can easily browse the web or use a remote desktop client/vnc as if you were using a regular computer.
    That looks like a good option if the usb host option doesn't work out. So I could connect my phone's video out to the touchscreen and use the phone as a mouse? Would a mouse cursor show up on the touchscreen? My Touch Pro has a slide out keyboard so I don't even need a bluetooth keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by do7d View Post
    when you use the WM phone, you also need to realize when you receive a call/txt/email it takes away usable memory from running apps to complete the delivery/acknowledgment protocol. now the axim did not have a phone builtin, it was just a pda. but if im using my samsung i760 (a pretty nice newer WM phone) to play music- it glitches regardless of the app im using to play. it's only for a second, but still. that's just annoying. even if there's no glitch, it's still gonna take a bit to load whatever new apps your trying to run.

    all in all, yes, your phone/pda can do each task reasonably well, but cannot do more than 1 (or 2 if your lucky) at the same time. i have, however found a way to make use of the pda in the car environment. until i purchase the car for the computer that i've built, i won't buy a screen. so while i drive around my beater car- with car-puter installed- i control my frontend (centrafuse) with my axim's touchscreen, thru remote desktop over wifi. what's great is that there's no delay at all. it's a perfect remote. hell, i'm almost compelled to velcro it to my steering wheel, and mount the dock for it in my center console for charging.

    best of luck with your project tho, please post anything you come across too. i'm always looking for new ways to use old toys.
    I don't have any problems listening to music (even internet radio) when I get a call, all that happens is the music I am listening to pauses and resumes after I hang up the call.

    If you want to see some of the info I came up with as far as the usb host goes go to the forum I linked to in my first post. There are some things suggesting it may be possible and some things suggesting it may not be possible.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42
    I finally set up my phone to do all my gps, web, and music in my car, a Land Rover Range Rover Sport. I have a video bypass unit that hooks up to the OEM nav.

    I had a carputer (see my other youtube videos) but the HTC Touch Pro kicks ***. I was dealing with Road Runner and no album art. The bluetooth GPS always needed to be re-paired. IGo does not run in Windows XP...

    The Switch to a phone was it.



    Here is the youtube video of it in action:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnABOFkJZw










  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoguy View Post
    I finally set up my phone to do all my gps, web, and music in my car, a Land Rover Range Rover Sport. I have a video bypass unit that hooks up to the OEM nav.

    I had a carputer (see my other youtube videos) but the HTC Touch Pro kicks ***. I was dealing with Road Runner and no album art. The bluetooth GPS always needed to be re-paired. IGo does not run in Windows XP...

    The Switch to a phone was it.
    That is sort of what I want to do but ideally I would like to use the touchscreen to control the phone because it is hard to do stuff on the phone while driving.

    I see that you have the crippled verizon version of the Pro. I feel bad for you. I got lucky and signed a sprint contract just in time to get the Pro (although the sprint version is kind of crippled compaired to the European gsm version with front camera for video calling).

    I found a thread on xda-developers where it looks like there has been some progress getting usb host to work. Someone got a usb thumb drive to work but only in the bootloader so it looks like it is a driver issue.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx View Post
    I see that you have the crippled verizon version of the Pro. I feel bad for you. I got lucky and signed a sprint contract just in time to get the Pro (although the sprint version is kind of crippled compaired to the European gsm version with front camera for video calling)..
    Yeah, I know. But I didn't buy the phone. Company phone, company buys and pay the monthly service fees. I can't complain. It is a free phone & free service. I actually picked the phone from a list of any phone I wanted but I wanted to keep with Verizon.

    I got all the stuff working - gps, youtube,etc. Only handicap I see is the lower ram. I use my Iphone 3G most of the time. I use the HTC for data tethering.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Run WinCE & XP together
    By ShawJohn in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •