HOWTO: Modifying "Resuming windows" hibernation screen
After reading excellent posting about customizing text and bitmap on the "resuming windows" screen, here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/306672-post12.html, I made an extra step forward and found how to get rid of the ugly progress bar.
This progress bar is made of characters 0xDB (full) and 0xDE (empty) from system "Terminal" font. All you need to do is:
- Open "C:\ntldr" in binary editor (see the post above on how to do it considering attributes, safety and write protection).
- Scroll down until you reach the area with all the text messages (it's in last 10% of the file, typically starting with "Windows could not start...").
- From that point on - look for DB and DE hex characters (WARNING: the characters should be very close to the end of file, about 100 bytes from the end; don't let the editor to restart search from the beginning of the file)
- Replace both characters with single space
- Save, replace the system original "ntldr" and enjoy - you now have pure-plack resuming screen!