Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 320

Thread: New EWF + MinLogon and CF instructions

  1. #221
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    did it work ok? were the instructions clear? wrote them up kind of quickly...

  2. #222
    Maximum Bitrate jonessc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    787
    Have Winlogon setup, and I have to say it is freakin awesome, had no idea it made such a difference.

    Apart from a super fast login with the system account, wot else is compromised im thinking of using it on my home pc as well!

    Cheers for the guide & help

    CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

  3. #223
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    I've run into a number of random issues in the past. Certain programs don't know to look to the system account for information, they are looking elsewhere.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  4. #224
    Maximum Bitrate Kimota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale ,Florida
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    did it work ok? were the instructions clear? wrote them up kind of quickly...
    Thanks again the instructions were spot on both hard drives are now have EWF enabled.


  5. #225
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    cool, glad it worked out ok!

  6. #226
    Maximum Bitrate jonessc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
    I've run into a number of random issues in the past. Certain programs don't know to look to the system account for information, they are looking elsewhere.
    Thanks Red.

    Anyone else have any experience using it as well?
    CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

  7. #227
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    44
    I installed my first carPC last week and am looking for some tweaks. I am going to try minlogon tonight.....but I am still uncertain as to what EWF is. So far all the tutorials i have looked seem to have EWF being geared towards the user who plans to boot XP off of their solid state defice like a compact flash. I am still booting my XP off of a IDE drive and plan on keep doing so. So will having configuring for EWF apply to me or benefit me?

  8. #228
    Maximum Bitrate jonessc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
    I installed my first carPC last week and am looking for some tweaks. I am going to try minlogon tonight.....but I am still uncertain as to what EWF is. So far all the tutorials i have looked seem to have EWF being geared towards the user who plans to boot XP off of their solid state defice like a compact flash. I am still booting my XP off of a IDE drive and plan on keep doing so. So will having configuring for EWF apply to me or benefit me?

    In simple terms its like write protecting your hard drive, the computer will carry on as it would normally,it will allow files to be renamed, deleted etc as normal. as soon as you reboot/turnoff everything will still be as it was before EWF was enabled. Everything gets written to the ram as opposed to the harddrive, so changes in essence will be lost as soon as it switches off.
    CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

  9. #229
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    44
    Thanks for the reply jonessc.

    So in a nutshell....each time I turn off my computer and reboot it i will restart to the same state as before EWF was enabled.




    Ok I understand now.

    EWF is useful if I plan to use HORM.

    Therefore decreasing boot times.

    Ok After reading Granturings blog I am going to attempt minlogon ewf and finally HORM this weekend. Just curious before I do this...what are the hardware requirements? I don't need a CF card right? Also, I have my M2-ATX powersupply set to shut off my computer after 15 seconds (cut power to the board).......is this ok? The reason I do this is because I do not want to cause excess drain on my battery since I frequently park my car at the airport for 2+ days.

    Thanks

  10. #230
    Maximum Bitrate jonessc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
    Thanks for the reply jonessc.

    So in a nutshell....each time I turn off my computer and reboot it i will restart to the same state as before EWF was enabled.

    If this is the case....what would be the benefit? I am not sure I see one unless it allows me to do some cool things by enabling this feature that I wouldn't be able to do with it disabled.
    It will boot normally, but whateva you changed/modified/deleted will all be as it was before you delete a file, empty the recycle bin, on reboot it will all be as it was. The benefit would be for example you could just switch your computer off, without having to shutdown (mainly used in a cf/solid state drive) minimal risk on corrupting files/settings cos nothing gets saved until you disable. You get everything as you want, enable it, and it will always be that way...
    CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 268
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •