Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: minlogon and now ACPI does not shutdown

  1. #71
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    35
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Your minlogon_shutodown.exe application is working perfectly. I just had to place it in the "start" folder (something not explained in your readme.txt file). Some ppl know that, but others (newbies) dont.

    Apart from this matter, your workaround is just perfect. Thnx

  2. #72
    Maximum Bitrate starfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardovdr
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Your minlogon_shutodown.exe application is working perfectly. I just had to place it in the "start" folder (something not explained in your readme.txt file). Some ppl know that, but others (newbies) dont.

    Apart from this matter, your workaround is just perfect. Thnx
    Glad it helps, it's strange that it's been a year and there's no proper fix for this problem yet (has anyone tried copying the XPe power saving drivers into a standard XP and seeing if it does anything?).

    Attached is an updated zip file; the program's the same but i've just added a paragraph to the readme.txt file to tell people to put it in the startup folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #73
    Newbie Wickerswammie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    26

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    Glad it helps, it's strange that it's been a year and there's no proper fix for this problem yet (has anyone tried copying the XPe power saving drivers into a standard XP and seeing if it does anything?).

    Attached is an updated zip file; the program's the same but i've just added a paragraph to the readme.txt file to tell people to put it in the startup folder.
    Hi Starfox,

    Sorry for reviving this thread, but I was wondering if it'd be possible to modify the program to put the system in standby if a standby was sent and to shutdown if a shutdown was sent. The reason I ask is because I normally allow my system to go into standby when I turn off the ignition, the power controller will keep it alive for 2 hours, then it'll just cut power. The reason for this is so I'll have much shorter bringup times when I'm just turning the engine off for a short while.

    I don't worry about the hard drive as I have turned off write caching (and Windows probably flushes the cache before going into Standby anyway)

    I could of course have a manual switch that would let me override auto-shutdown but that introduces a potential for draining my battery completely if (my wife) or I forget to un-flip the switch.

    If that's not something you're willing to work on for a re-release, could you give me a list of API calls you used with success? I'm a Software Engineer and I wouldn't be opposed to just writing the program myself, but it would be usefull to know the system APIs used.

  4. #74
    Maximum Bitrate starfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickerswammie
    Hi Starfox,

    Sorry for reviving this thread, but I was wondering if it'd be possible to modify the program to put the system in standby if a standby was sent and to shutdown if a shutdown was sent. The reason I ask is because I normally allow my system to go into standby when I turn off the ignition, the power controller will keep it alive for 2 hours, then it'll just cut power. The reason for this is so I'll have much shorter bringup times when I'm just turning the engine off for a short while.

    I don't worry about the hard drive as I have turned off write caching (and Windows probably flushes the cache before going into Standby anyway)

    I could of course have a manual switch that would let me override auto-shutdown but that introduces a potential for draining my battery completely if (my wife) or I forget to un-flip the switch.

    If that's not something you're willing to work on for a re-release, could you give me a list of API calls you used with success? I'm a Software Engineer and I wouldn't be opposed to just writing the program myself, but it would be usefull to know the system APIs used.
    Hi, sorry it took a while for me to reply, it's my university exam period at the moment. I'll see if i can find the source code if you want to take a look at it, that'll take a couple of days. It's VB6 code; i would have distributed it but i'm using a subclassing usercontrol which is free to use but the license doesn't permit redistribution, but i don't think anyone'll mind if it's one or two people reading the source.

    Ah, you'll have a problem with what you're doing.. afaik the WM_SHUTDOWN message is never broadcast with minlogon so if you push the ACPI button while you have your power settings set to shut down, nothing's broadcast and nothing happens.

    It might be possible to trap for a hibernate when something mapped to the hibernate broadcast is sent out, but i'll have to look at that one as well.

  5. #75
    Low Bitrate iselfdevi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    71
    Oh mylanta!!!! StarFox you own!!!

  6. #76
    Low Bitrate iselfdevi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    71
    Is anyone having any resuming problems with Starfox's workaround?
    After the workaround install, my RR program doesnt like to resume sometimes.

  7. #77
    Constant Bitrate faichiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    114
    Anyone knows how to customize the minlogon?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archi...16/417659.aspx
    ------------------------------

    98 Honda civic
    In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
    cappuccino EZ3
    PIII-1.2GHZ
    256MB PC133
    40GB HD
    Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
    IguidanceV2
    CNX-P1900 power supply
    Sound Blaster Live USB

  8. #78
    Low Bitrate Rillee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Hi, sorry it took a while for me to reply, it's my university exam period at the moment. I'll see if i can find the source code if you want to take a look at it, that'll take a couple of days. It's VB6 code; i would have distributed it but i'm using a subclassing usercontrol which is free to use but the license doesn't permit redistribution, but i don't think anyone'll mind if it's one or two people reading the source.

    Ah, you'll have a problem with what you're doing.. afaik the WM_SHUTDOWN message is never broadcast with minlogon so if you push the ACPI button while you have your power settings set to shut down, nothing's broadcast and nothing happens.

    It might be possible to trap for a hibernate when something mapped to the hibernate broadcast is sent out, but i'll have to look at that one as well.
    Is it possible to see the code?

  9. #79
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    649
    I wonder if you will receive a reply, thread is nearly 5 years old
    F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

    Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

  10. #80
    Low Bitrate Rillee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    62
    Had to give it a chance but i found a example code at: http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=2596

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •