Boot Re-Ordering to Decrease FrontEnd Startup Time
I created this small and very simple java program which Act's as Windows Shell. Basically, my concept behind this was to first load the FrontEnd and when the FE has finished loading, start the Explorer Shell to retain rest of the system integrety such as wireless, cpuidle, or other software some of you may be using. Well, this is what I have done.
as a note, for anyone who has a Java (Jar) -> Exe converter that does not depend on special deployment packages, please feel free to convert this to an exe and post it up.
1. If you don't already have install Java Runtime Environment v1.5, get it here: JRE 1.5.0
2. Download the Zip. Put the Jar file anywere, I personally put it in C:\
3. put the ini file into the users directory (ie. C:\Documents and settings\carputer_user )
4. edit the INI file. There are 4 Settings.
- First is FE. this is the location of the executable for your front end of choice.
- FE_CWD that is the directory of which your front end exists. more known as the current working directory
- SHELL. you can prolly leave the default, this is the windows shell to start up after the fe has finished loading
- SHELL_TIMEOUT. This is, in the number of seconds, my program should wait before starting execution of the shell. A good value for most installs will prolly be around the 30s mark.
5. logon onto your carputers default startup user.
6. And final step. go to start -> run -> regedit
7. if it doesn't already exist, create a new string key called 'Shell".
as the value for shell assuming your put the JAR file in C:\ then
'java -jar c:\DaRacerzStartz.jar'
reboot and enjoy. if there are any problems, execution will fail. to retain the explorer shell, just do an alt control delete and run explorer and that'll give you back ability to make any changes you need to.
Note: If you are testing this program by just double click on the Jar file, then the INI file must be present in the same directory as the JAR file.
hope you like it as i do, cause i must say, i shaved off a good 10 seconds cause of all the junk i have in the start up menu.
as far as future version, i don't plan on maintaining this, but willl fix any critical issues that come about. my main reason for doing this was to show an example that this is possible and to show the advantage so that fe makers will start embedded such support into their appz.