My carputer has no cdrom in it (normally), so I found it very frustrating when i messed something up or needed to get to the recovery console. Luckily i stumbled upon this yesterday, and i thought i would share it.
This adds the recovery console to the OS boot menu, making it very easy to get to, even without a cd.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;307654#2To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.
[###########--] 85% complete - Software Installation
To Do: Complete Voice Recognition, transfer hardware into car and wire.