Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Anyone add a wifi antenna to their Mac mini?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    120

    Anyone add a wifi antenna to their Mac mini?

    If so how any write ups on this? I searched and found nothing. I know where the antenna is in the case but don't know how hard it would be to upgrade the antenna. Any help is appreciated <br /><br />
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    425
    Im not familia with macs, but I know a worklog thread that is. Here is a link to the specific wifi post within it.
    Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
    *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
    *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    120
    thanks that was somewhat helpful, but I would still like to see what some on did with their mac mini.
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    The hardest part is going to be where do you put the antennas? You're going to need at least two, if it's 802.11n you'll need three. You'll need ufl to r-sma or r-tnc pigtails.
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWoods View Post
    The hardest part is going to be where do you put the antennas? You're going to need at least two, if it's 802.11n you'll need three. You'll need ufl to r-sma or r-tnc pigtails.
    I'm not so worried about the antenna's as I am connecting them to the computer. I was wondering if mybe there is some USB antenna or USB wifi w/ a antenna hook-up. I'm suprised more people aren't asking questions about this topic.
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    120
    Whats the difference between dbm and dbi? I found this one on ebay I think I could put it in my back window, but is it worth the money?http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2Mile-Booster-...QQcmdZViewItem
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate pRoFiT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    798
    Damn nice antenna. The only problem with that one is its really directional. Your only going to get WiFi behind you while you drive. I guess it would be okay if a friend of yours is driving behind you with a WiFi antenna pointing forward. Then you could have lan games while you drive what you need is omni directional like this ebay antenna.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/19dBi-Omni-Direc...QQcmdZViewItem

    Not as much db that the other one had but 19db is still pretty good for omni directional antennas.
    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

    My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

    Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/rr-skins/65723-rrskineditor-bugs-fixes-comments-current-progress-outdated.html

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by pRoFiT View Post
    Damn nice antenna. The only problem with that one is its really directional. Your only going to get WiFi behind you while you drive. I guess it would be okay if a friend of yours is driving behind you with a WiFi antenna pointing forward. Then you could have lan games while you drive what you need is omni directional like this ebay antenna.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/19dBi-Omni-Direc...QQcmdZViewItem

    Not as much db that the other one had but 19db is still pretty good for omni directional antennas.
    I wouldn't buy that antenna. It's only a 10 degree beam width. What ever you wanted to connect to would have to be pretty much at the same elevation as the antenna. That thing also has a N connector on the end of it. Look at the picture again, N connectors are about a half inch in diameter, that antenna is about 3 feet long.

    As far as connecting an external usb adapter, as long as it's mac compatable, (if you're still running os x on it) it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure there have been some folks running them that way here on the boards.
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate pRoFiT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    798
    10 degrees vertical and 360 horizontal. If it sticks out your roof or what not 10 degrees vertical is more then enough for level areas. Maybe if your driving through the mountains searching for WiFi. 3 foot antenna would be great. I saw someone driving down the street with a huge as pipe antenna looking thing. about 5 feet from the tail gate to the roof of an suv.
    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

    My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

    Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWoods View Post
    I wouldn't buy that antenna. It's only a 10 degree beam width. What ever you wanted to connect to would have to be pretty much at the same elevation as the antenna. That thing also has a N connector on the end of it. Look at the picture again, N connectors are about a half inch in diameter, that antenna is about 3 feet long.

    As far as connecting an external usb adapter, as long as it's mac compatable, (if you're still running os x on it) it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure there have been some folks running them that way here on the boards.
    under the specifics it says Dimensions 11.5x4.8x1 (inch) Thats not 3 feet long it almost a foot long. But thanks for your info. I'm not going to buy that antenna now.
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie installing Mac Mini et al.
    By kkachurak in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 02:07 AM
  2. Installing Mac Mini in My 05 Alti SER
    By Vitulla in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM
  3. Overheating your Mac Mini - No problem!
    By Bugbyte in forum MacCar
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 09:46 PM
  4. P1900 alternative power supply for Mac Mini
    By johnsin in forum MacCar
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 09:05 AM
  5. FS: Mac Mini CarPC Package/Parts LOADED!
    By markcc01 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 10:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •