Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: How do I strengthen my signal?

  1. #1
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603

    How do I strengthen my signal?

    I have a Sprint 595U and its signal is iffy while moving unless I put the adapter near a window. I hate doing this because i like my stuff hidden. I decided to buy a external antenna, it has a 13db gain. Is this a good gain? I know nothing about this stuff. The only issue I see (which i didnt notice when I bought), is that the unit is 40" tall. I may switch this to a shorter version if you guys say its ok to lower the db. The smaller the antenna, the lower the db gain.

    I also had GPS signal issues si I bought a external antenna also that has a 23db gain, but its the size of a XM antenna.

    Now that i have so many antenna, I decided to relocate all of them to the back, next to each other. Will this be an issue? I figured the 40" will go in the rear and then the GPS and XM on the side of that one.

    Does anyone also have experience with powered amplified hidden antennas? I have a AM/FM antenna in the front, but was thinking of buying the hidden antenna so i can get rid of the stock one and not have my car look some mobile spy car with antenna all over the car.

    Sprint 595U


    40" antenna


    Hidden powered antenna
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #2
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    I have the same antennae. It's between my carpet and the spare tire cover in the back compartment, so I don't get the full advantage of the gain, but it does do nicely! I bought it because my USB modem was inside a glove compartment and wasn't picking up well.

    Did you get my post on the ampctrl? It's actually getting better with time, not worse. I still don't have a pop and it comes on before the windows startup tune. Heck, I'm even starting to wonder if it works at all, but if not, my amps wouldn't be on or I would hear a loud pop at bootup.
    My opinion is my own.

  3. #3
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    I have the same antennae. It's between my carpet and the spare tire cover in the back compartment, so I don't get the full advantage of the gain, but it does do nicely! I bought it because my USB modem was inside a glove compartment and wasn't picking up well.

    Did you get my post on the ampctrl? It's actually getting better with time, not worse. I still don't have a pop and it comes on before the windows startup tune. Heck, I'm even starting to wonder if it works at all, but if not, my amps wouldn't be on or I would hear a loud pop at bootup.
    Well if the antenna ends up looking ugly on my roof (which I think it will), ill put it in one of the pillars, i think it will fit and not loose to much gain, as long as my Slingbox isnt choppy and buffering like it is now, especially when driving in the heart of downtown and or speeding at 80+ miles per hour.

    No I didnt, for some reason MP3car doesnt always tell me..... I finally installed volume_amp_ctrl and it works way better then the amp_ctrl. It turns on my amps way faster (all 4 of them) but i hear a pop when turning off the car, but I think its because i messed up the settings, when i first installed i didnt have any pops. I also like that I have a GUI, unlike the DOS version. I do hate that i cannot tell it what port i want, you have to use port 1.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #4
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Well if the antenna ends up looking ugly on my roof (which I think it will), ill put it in one of the pillars, i think it will fit and not loose to much gain, as long as my Slingbox isnt choppy and buffering like it is now, especially when driving in the heart of downtown and or speeding at 80+ miles per hour.

    No I didnt, for some reason MP3car doesnt always tell me..... I finally installed volume_amp_ctrl and it works way better then the amp_ctrl. It turns on my amps way faster (all 4 of them) but i hear a pop when turning off the car, but I think its because i messed up the settings, when i first installed i didnt have any pops. I also like that I have a GUI, unlike the DOS version. I do hate that i cannot tell it what port i want, you have to use port 1.
    No, you're setup properly. Volume_amp is a "one way switch". It only works during startup, not shutdown. You need hibernate trigger for shutdown. I have a thread somewhere on it. Let me find it and I'll edit this post with the link.....

    Here ya go...

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...-carputer.html

    And you can tell it any port by editing the settings.ini file. Inside that file, there is a string of numbers like 1,1,0,1,100,100,100,100,5,14,0


    One of the 1's is the port.
    My opinion is my own.

  5. #5
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    No, you're setup properly. Volume_amp is a "one way switch". It only works during startup, not shutdown. You need hibernate trigger for shutdown. I have a thread somewhere on it. Let me find it and I'll edit this post with the link.....

    Here ya go...

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...-carputer.html

    And you can tell it any port by editing the settings.ini file. Inside that file, there is a string of numbers like 1,1,0,1,100,100,100,100,5,14,0


    One of the 1's is the port.
    AHHHHHHHH, ok I have the hibernate trigger, just do not know how to set it up..... I hate that I have to use anotehr program to get it to work, lol. Yea i saw that file.... Im going to leave it alone and keep it on one. Only reason i was worried is because my GPS use to always want to be on port one, but now it always wants port 2, which is fine.

    So let me ask, when i go into hibernate the hibernate trigger will shut it of, but do i need to program it to turn it back on? I ask because doesnt me having the icon in the startup folder start back up the program when waking up?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #6
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    AHHHHHHHH, ok I have the hibernate trigger, just do not know how to set it up..... I hate that I have to use anotehr program to get it to work, lol. Yea i saw that file.... Im going to leave it alone and keep it on one. Only reason i was worried is because my GPS use to always want to be on port one, but now it always wants port 2, which is fine.

    So let me ask, when i go into hibernate the hibernate trigger will shut it of, but do i need to program it to turn it back on? I ask because doesnt me having the icon in the startup folder start back up the program when waking up?
    I put it in the startup folder. Programing it is in that thread I gave. Simple command batch file. Unfortunately, after about a week, you will have like 10 of those little white squares in your taskbar, but 9 of them disappear when your mouse floats over them.
    My opinion is my own.

  7. #7
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    LMFAO......... I will try it..... but i do know I did something in the setting to not have the thump on hibernate. If I cant get it, I will use the trigger.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  8. #8
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    I use ampctrl.exe which is actually a windows service (I think). You load it through DOS, but it's actually a service. You might check there if you ever want to try it again.
    My opinion is my own.

  9. #9
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkh View Post
    I use ampctrl.exe which is actually a windows service (I think). You load it through DOS, but it's actually a service. You might check there if you ever want to try it again.
    That is the one I use to use...but it takes so long to start up the amps.......

    Well i got the antenna today and was very impressed with the signal. It took it from 20% to 100%. Bad news is, its so tall i have issues. I tried it in the car and the signal was as though it wasnt hooked up.... Is there any other place I can put the antenna? I cant have it on the top of the car... It makes it look so ugly, and its so tall it gets knocked off every place with a 9 ft limit.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #10
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    I took that huge magbase off and put it under the carpet in the back. I'm probably not getting optimum improvement, but it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New OBDII scantool - Beta testers?
    By tmort in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  2. Hibernation / Resume issue with PhoCo
    By zorro in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 01:21 AM
  3. Need wiring help for 2005 Grand Prix.
    By derekmac in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 09:42 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
  5. FS: LCD Controllers - $90.00+shipping
    By infrared in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 08:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •