Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Any way to use your car's antenna as a WiFi antenna?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    44

    Any way to use your car's antenna as a WiFi antenna?

    I think it would be a nice integration since those of us who ditched the headunits have a useless antenna. I want to put it to use!

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    42
    You read my mind

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate The Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    343
    Antenna's are made to specific lengths to match the radio frequencies that you are trying to receive or transmit on. FM radio is in the lower half of the MHz band, while WiFi is well into the GHz band. Then there's other stuff to consider like antenna resistance and impedance. If you tried to simply rig up a WiFi device to your car antenna, you would risk toasting it's transmitter. Even if you figured out how to safely hook it up, the antenna would give you very poor reception for the application.

    The only alternative you have is to replace your car antenna with one that is made for WiFi. You can buy them (they are quite short by the way), and you would have to fabricate a way of mounting it as the connectors are totally different.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate Sway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Muncie, Indiana
    Posts
    120

    Thumbs up

    even if it does not work it was a great idea, because i never use the radio.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate cheerio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    233
    you could always drill a hole and look like a police car ;x

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio
    you could always drill a hole and look like a police car ;x
    That's a negative, Sir! hehe
    I just thought that attaching the WiFi antenna to any other long piece of metal (even a metal hanger) would increase the reception, so why not attach it to the car's antenna....it doesn't need to be amplified, so how would it toast the transmitter?

    Sorry, i don't understand all this WiFi stuff yet...

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch
    and you would have to fabricate a way of mounting it as the connectors are totally different.
    It's all about the adapters!

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    1,134
    it doesn't need to be amplified, so how would it toast the transmitter?
    The output transmitter section of a WiFi client is "tuned" to match a certain impedence (like a frequency-dependent resistor). It looks like a perfect "match" (ie a 50ohm resistor) only at the proper frequency (around 2GHz). Your car antenna is "matched" (looks like 300 omhs) at 88-108MHz and can't really be tuned to look like 50ohms at 2GHz for your WiFi transmitter. Some WiFi transmitters (output power amplifiers) will fry themselves if they try to power an antenna that's not well "matched". Your car antenna COULD look like zero ohms at 2Ghz....That would toast you WiFi PA....
    MikeH

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate The Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNonsense
    That's a negative, Sir! hehe
    I just thought that attaching the WiFi antenna to any other long piece of metal (even a metal hanger) would increase the reception, so why not attach it to the car's antenna....it doesn't need to be amplified, so how would it toast the transmitter?

    Sorry, i don't understand all this WiFi stuff yet...
    The ol' coat hanger antenna scenario works (sort of) because a car stereo only receives radio waves. But if use it for transmitting/broadcasting, it's a whole new ball of wax. WiFi fits right into that catagory (send/receives). When you transmit, you are actually sending power to the antenna. If the antenna is not properly matched to the transmitter, it will cook itself.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch
    The ol' coat hanger antenna scenario works (sort of) because a car stereo only receives radio waves. But if use it for transmitting/broadcasting, it's a whole new ball of wax. WiFi fits right into that catagory (send/receives). When you transmit, you are actually sending power to the antenna. If the antenna is not properly matched to the transmitter, it will cook itself.
    I understand now....
    so, had anyone developed a WiFi antenna that can be lowered and raised with a button? I'd like to try to utilize that antenna of mine or replace it with something else that would work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will this wifi card work with antenna?
    By AutoInnovations in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 06:49 PM
  2. Help finding a 54g PCI wifi card for Procase'd carputer
    By NJay in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 03:04 AM
  3. Anyway to calculate wifi antenna range?
    By bizahh in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 02:59 PM
  4. WiFi - antenna conector question
    By Rudical in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
  5. Very Small 4 dB WIFI car mount antenna...will it work?
    By AcuraTLFan in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 11:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •