Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 97

Thread: Easiest way to connect to random wifi network?

  1. #61
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by dave2
    I dream of the days when we can share information and ideas on these forums without EVERYONE getting into a legal debate. We have certain freedoms in this country. We are even free to do something which may or may not be illegal on the assumption that we do not want to go to jail.
    Does EVERY SINGLE conversation about wardriving, or connecting to open APs have to start immediately with an answer of "thats illegal!!!! " It just makes for a 4 page thread where the answers are few and far between... It's annoying. And when someone has something to say like, "I got the FBI at my house for wardriving" They can make a new thread about it.


    Dave


    I would love to talk about illegal crap. But everytime I start a topic I get people telling me to stop. Or if I reply people just me. I guess this is not the right forum and Im all alone.

    But bmw forums are much cooler when it comes to illegal activities. I had some real good discussions going on. I wish I could have them hear. So many brite and knowlegeable people here. I like sharing ideas cant really do it here.

  2. #62
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyman676
    For the record (1)I own legal licences of all my software, especially MS. (2)I use to pirate mp3s, but all of them are legit now after buying cheap used CDs from local stores. (3)I have my matress tags:-P
    Firstly buying cheap used cds is just as illegal as getting mp3s because legally cds are not allowed to be resold and the person who bought them has no right to transfer the license to you. It is more socially acceptable perhaps but still technically equally as illegal.

    Secondly, in a lot of the surrounding areas around me there are free wireless networks and also welcoming APs for pay wireless schemes that you are supposed to connect to. There is no way to tell if you have connected to one of those or have stumbled upon some chump who has merely not activated any sort of security.

    In the UK at least it is only illegal to gain unathorised access to a system, and surely broadcasting an ssid with no security is an authorisation. An analogy would be putting a sign outside your building which says restaurant and leaving the door open and then trying to arrest anyone who comes in for breaking and entering.

    Getting back to the main topic, the wireless software that comes with my card autoconnects to any wireless network it finds if you don't enable wep so I plan to let it and simply use any internet connection it finds as I am driving along to upload minimal tracking info.

  3. #63
    Maximum Bitrate contaygious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Yay Area (SF)
    Posts
    481
    i was joking about the cracking thing be easy!

    So what is some FREE software that autoconnects to networks that pop up for the rest of us who dont have wifi cards with such software?
    Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

  4. #64
    Mac Car Moderator kandyman676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy
    That's exactly what it is. Kandyman and his ilk make assumptions, or in some cases 'heard it from this guy' and stick to it. They assume that it MUST be true, because it fits their worldview of how things SHOULD be.

    I find this type of person who suffers cognitive dissonance to be the same kind of person who believes that toilets flush backwards in Australia and that the universe revolves around the sun. Someone TOLD them this, and they never bothered to verify it for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy
    I think cracking someone's WEP without their permission actually manages to stumble into the realm of gaining unlawful access. I can't cite law, but I wouldn't do it without assuming I was doing something possibly illegal.
    One big word for you: HYPOCRITE Its so much easier to judge then to lissen, eh? I did surf the forum before posted like a n00b, and re-itterated my point plus others that were not mentioned.

    Chairboy, I think you got most of that backwards about cognitive dissonance. I do not "hear" about this stuff. Like most of you, I went out and tried searching the net, and its vague as hell. I've searched local and state laws, and its vague as hell.

    Unlike you, I *did* verify with my local county police during my background investigation for a computer forensics investigator. Part of this background investigation requires disclosure of all illegal activites ever committed in writing, then questioned on in a polygraph. Depending on the prosecutor and evidence, you can be prosecuted under un-authorized access and wiretapping laws that are federal (specifically The U.S. federal computer crime statute, Title 18 U.S.C. 1030, makes it a crime to knowingly access a computer used in interstate or foreign communication "without authorization" and obtain any information from the computer) and for the state of Maryland (under wiretapping/communicaiton laws). In addition, you can also get the AP provider in trouble with their ISP depending on how their Terms of Service (TOS) agreement is structured.

    If you need help in understanding that is not in my words, I refer you to this excerpt from an article that posed the illegal question from SecurityFocus:

    You see, when you "broadcast" the cable connection, you are opening it up for anyone to potentially use it. So other people can potentially get Internet access from Comcast without paying for it. In Maryland, for example, it is illegal to use an "unlawful telecommunication device" which is a "device, technology, [or] product . . used to provide the unauthorized . . . transmission of . . access to, or acquisition of a telecommunication service provided by a telecommunication service provider." Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Virginia and Wyoming all have laws on the books that may do the same thing.

    These laws generally treat "sharing" of Internet connections the same way it would treat "sharing" of Cable TV or Satellite TV services. Thus, while you could invite your neighbors in to watch the latest episode of The Sopranos, you probably couldn't hook a coax into apartment 3B so they could watch from home -- at least without getting the permission of the cable TV company.

    You can see this in, for example, Verizon's personal DSL agreement, which states that "[y]ou may not resell the DSL Service, use it for high-volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute resale (commercial or non-commercial), as determined solely by Verizon." So, if Verizon determines that your 802.11 connection constitutes a non-commercial resale (and is unauthorized) not only can it cut you off, but it can make you a felon.

    All of this means that the simple act of driving around and getting WiFi connections as needed, something we hope to be able to do (isn't that why we bought the Centrino in the first place?), is fraught with legal risk.

    Source: http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/237
    "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

    Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

    My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
    Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

  5. #65
    Mac Car Moderator kandyman676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by ElKeeed
    Firstly buying cheap used cds is just as illegal as getting mp3s because legally cds are not allowed to be resold and the person who bought them has no right to transfer the license to you. It is more socially acceptable perhaps but still technically equally as illegal.
    Since this part of the forum loves this, show me the law then:-) Then also explain why retailers, especially Amazon.com, are allowed to legally re-sell used CDs. Used CDs are almost always cheaper then the newer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElKeeed
    Secondly, in a lot of the surrounding areas around me there are free wireless networks and also welcoming APs for pay wireless schemes that you are supposed to connect to. There is no way to tell if you have connected to one of those or have stumbled upon some chump who has merely not activated any sort of security.
    Free wireless networks CAN exist. However, if you offer "free" or welcoming AP access, be aware of your Terms Of Service (TOS) agreement with your ISP providers. Most do not allow commerical or non-commerical resale or access of their systems except by you. Most large telcos and cable broadband companies have specific clauses in their TOS against doing this and consider it fraud if committing it.

    That is why several companies, like Bongo, have published list of (believed to be) legal open access APs.

    Again, this is why i push for ethical war driving. I am against not connecting to someone's open AP cause your being a cheap *** and not getting your own wireless data plan. You place yourself AND its owner at multiple legal risk into untested legal waters. In addition, you also place those who are ethically and legally war driving as a hobby in risk for future, restricitive, more defined anti-wardriving and computer crime laws.
    "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

    Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

    My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
    Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

  6. #66
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,577
    The actual laws I've looked at do make deliberately breaking the encryption illegal.
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

  7. #67
    Maximum Bitrate contaygious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Yay Area (SF)
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by contaygious
    i was joking about the cracking thing be easy!

    So what is some FREE software that autoconnects to networks that pop up for the rest of us who dont have wifi cards with such software?
    ...................
    Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

  8. #68
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyman676
    One big word for you: HYPOCRITE Its so much easier to judge then to lissen, eh? I did surf the forum before posted like a n00b, and re-itterated my point plus others that were not mentioned.
    Actually, I'm really careful to say that I think cracking the wep MIGHT be illegal, but unlike you, I say that I'm not sure and that the law could indicate different. You use this word 'hypocrite', but I do not think it means what you think it means.

    Quote Originally Posted by kandyman676
    Unlike you, I *did* verify with my local county police during my background investigation for a computer forensics investigator. Part of this background investigation requires disclosure of all illegal activites ever committed in writing, then questioned on in a polygraph. Depending on the prosecutor and evidence, you can be prosecuted under un-authorized access and wiretapping laws that are federal (specifically The U.S. federal computer crime statute, Title 18 U.S.C. 1030, makes it a crime to knowingly access a computer used in interstate or foreign communication "without authorization" and obtain any information from the computer) and for the state of Maryland (under wiretapping/communicaiton laws). In addition, you can also get the AP provider in trouble with their ISP depending on how their Terms of Service (TOS) agreement is structured.
    And again, the law is for accessing a computer, not an access point.

    I think you'll live a lot longer if you calm down a little. I understand that you're trying to help, but misinformation is worse then no information. The securityfocus article you quote is very specific in saying that while you might violate a TOS, it's A: not YOUR TOS that you've agreed to and B: not the same as breaking the law. If breaking TOS was the same as doing something illegal, then people who AOL busts for swearing on certain message boards would be reported to the police too. Why? Well, that's a TOS violation too!

    There's a technique that I've found really helps me with my radio calls when I'm flying an airplane: Think before you speak. When I follow that little rule, it's very rare that I pooch up in public.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

  9. #69
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyman676
    Since this part of the forum loves this, show me the law then:-) Then also explain why retailers, especially Amazon.com, are allowed to legally re-sell used CDs. Used CDs are almost always cheaper then the newer.
    In a rare show of solidarity, I agree with kandyman wholeheartedly. The RIAA would LOVE it if people thought reselling CDs was illegal, but that would be another example of their continual efforts to screw the customer out of their legal rights.

    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

  10. #70
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by ElKeeed
    Firstly buying cheap used cds is just as illegal as getting mp3s because legally cds are not allowed to be resold and the person who bought them has no right to transfer the license to you. It is more socially acceptable perhaps but still technically equally as illegal.
    That's simply not true. CDs are sold with the right to resell them. Some music sales systems do indeed deny you that right (e.g. iTunes), but CDs are not one of them. It's why I still buy CDs and don't sign up for a digital only scheme.
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Similar Threads

  1. does NetStumbler actually CONNECT to access points?
    By Grayscale in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
  2. Random...Little too Random
    By Prindle19 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM
  3. Power line homeplug wifi 802.11b access point network
    By Jammer in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 04:23 PM
  4. External WiFi Receiver w/ Ethernet Port?
    By VanMan69 in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 11:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •