Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: WiFi Antenna w/ 1W amp through Tint.

  1. #11
    What can I say? I like serial. Curiosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florence Yall, BFKY
    Posts
    2,684
    A 2.4 GHz transmitter enclosed in a metal box with a glass window to see inside? Hey, I have something like that in my kitchen! More like 2000W, but doesn't this scare anyone just a little?

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy
    You think an antenna in the trunk will get decent reception? I'm curious, as I might do this myself.. *off to do a search*

    EDIT: Links:
    ideas for increasing wifi signal from within trunk?
    How good is your Wifi Antenna?
    great website for wifi antennas

    -arebelspy
    I'm really not too sure what kind of reception I can get in the trunk...I think improvements are definately to be had by using extra hardware (as your links above show) but I'd like to go the simplest route first and just see what happens. I should at get at least get a useable signal I imagine. To be honest, the hideousness and blatant display of geekness by attaching an external antenna isn't worth the better reception for me

  3. #13
    FLAC arebelspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboot
    To be honest, the hideousness and blatant display of geekness by attaching an external antenna isn't worth the better reception for me
    I think I agree.. as long as I have reception to my home network when backed into my driveway it'll be fine, don't plan on wardriving much..

    -arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com

    Quote Originally Posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

  4. #14
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboot
    To be honest, the hideousness and blatant display of geekness by attaching an external antenna isn't worth the better reception for me
    Yea this is the same as me. It just wouldn't look right on my car so I have no interest in making it looking like an RV.

    As for the Intel 2200. I don't think there sold with an antenna. I was just going to use a 5db one from hypertech.com, same place I'll get my amp.

    Thats a damn nice machine you've got there mate. My roomate has an 02 Phoenix Gold M3. Didn't like the color at first but it definately grows on you. Color aside though, man are they a mean car. 220 feels like 80. They handle like a dream.

    My car will still beat you but yours definately has the luxury to go with it.

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by SKiTLz
    Wow. Im a new user here I admit, but so far Im really noticing an attitude around here. The amount of useless non helpful replies is just stupid. Personally If I can't help, I dont post.

    Care to explain what was wrong with my statement?
    Ever touch a antenna while its transmitting RF? Try it and see how safe it is having it inside a car. Your worried about you car looking ugly. That would be the last thing on my mind. It's up to you. I would hate to see you or your passengers get a burn from you inside antenna idea.

    There are thousands of external 2.4 ghz antenna's on the internet. I would think one of them wouldnt be ugly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity
    A 2.4 GHz transmitter enclosed in a metal box with a glass window to see inside? Hey, I have something like that in my kitchen! More like 2000W, but doesn't this scare anyone just a little?
    It does me. Thanks for posting that!

  6. #16
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmaster
    Ever touch a antenna while its transmitting RF? Try it and see how safe it is having it inside a car. Your worried about you car looking ugly. That would be the last thing on my mind. It's up to you. I would hate to see you or your passengers get a burn from you inside antenna idea.

    There are thousands of external 2.4 ghz antenna's on the internet. I would think one of them wouldnt be ugly.




    It does me. Thanks for posting that!
    Maybe you should have been the first to post what curiosity did. If I knew everything there was to know about antennas I wouldn't be asking questions would I. So perhaps next time you could use your infinite wisdom to stop someone making a mistake instead of the useless post you did.

    With that said, are your reffering to just heat issues or it not being healthy with the RF?

  7. #17
    Newbie agmsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25
    Guys... I'm a noobie over here... I'm in the stage of planing my CarPC.. any ideas if there is an antenna that can be used in WiFi, TV... etc... I prefer using one or two antennas... I don't want my car to look like a broadcast station...

  8. #18
    Newbie agmsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25
    If you can direct me to a good info website on such subject...I'll appreciate it... thanks

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by SKiTLz
    Maybe you should have been the first to post what curiosity did. If I knew everything there was to know about antennas I wouldn't be asking questions would I. So perhaps next time you could use your infinite wisdom to stop someone making a mistake instead of the useless post you did.

    With that said, are your reffering to just heat issues or it not being healthy with the RF?


    @Gunmaster:
    I don't consider myself a n00b and this is the first time I've heard someone warn about the extreme dangers of a wifi connection in a car. Logically this doesn't make sense to me so I'd also appreciate it if you let us in on the lurking dangers that wifi antennas pose (don't worry, we won't tell your local masons chapter)

    Cheers

  10. #20
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by agmsd
    If you can direct me to a good info website on such subject...I'll appreciate it... thanks
    ever heard of thread hijacking? You should have started a new thread for your issue mate..

    but look at hypertech.com They have alot of antennas. You'll want a 2.4GHz for Wireless. As for TV I dont like your chances picking up a good TV signal. Personally I dont see the point. Its a car not a caravan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using an 802.11B amp & high gain antenna combo?
    By DriverDan in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
  2. Tall Wifi Antenna
    By EBFoxbat in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 06:43 PM
  3. Through glass mount wifi antenna
    By n8scstm in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
  4. Cell Booster / Amplifier
    By GruvThang in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 06:35 AM
  5. Any way to use your car's antenna as a WiFi antenna?
    By NoNonsense in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •