Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bluetooth for Internet Connectivity....How Is The Relibility In A Car Environment?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172

    Bluetooth for Internet Connectivity....How Is The Relibility In A Car Environment?

    When I did my first CarPC project years ago (before this forum was around) I used my cell phone to connect my CarPC to the internet. I used a serial cable to connect my cell phone to the computer. Using a physical cable for this purpose is nothing new of course.

    Now that I am starting my next CarPC project, I would like to use Bluetooth, instead of a USB/serial cable, to connect my phone to my computer for internet purposes. I was wondering what type of performance/reliabillity issues (good or bad) people were having when using BT for connectivity instead of a wire. Are there any extra issues you need to be aware of when using BT in the car? Also, my cell phone will be linked to my car stereo via BT (for handsfree calling purposes) independent of the computer, will this cause any issues?

  2. #2
    FLAC Griff1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,052
    you might find as i did that your cell phone only supports 1 bt connection at a time,you need to keep switcing between the 2 paired devices.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    How do you do that? I intend to use my BT phone to interface with my car for hands free operation and then use it as a modem with the CarPC.

    I wanted to know if anybody has experienced any type of interference problems, etc when using BT as a means for using the phone as a modem. Using BT makes for a clean install since I can leave the phone in the factory BMW BT cradle in the center console.

  4. #4
    FLAC Jahntassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Posts
    1,417
    No problems using BT, but as said, you have to Unpair the handsfree kit to use the modem..

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Is the pairing/unparing controlled at the phone? I don't have the phone yet (I will be getting it next month when I am eligible for a cheap upgrade ). I am trying to do as much research ahead of time.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate tasteItheIvalue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecicut; United States
    Posts
    73
    i use verizon with a lg vx-8100. im using bluetooth to connect @ 1x which ill get around 5kb/s (slow), however in some area's i can connect to the new evdo network verizon has; this delivers broadband speeds through my phone. now verizon has made it so the vx8100 can't connect via bt to the internet... i had to hack the phone to get it to work. this whole process only takes about 2 minutes and its simple. for more info search on www.howarforums.com

    the good thing about this hack is that you do not need to pay for extra services from verizon... you pay for the minutes used as normal airtime minutes. so its free on nights and weekends.

    *note: this is not allowed by verizon's tos. so if you get caught; you risk a early termination of your contract <--- just a warning / didnt happen to me but i dont want to be responsible if it happens to you.

  7. #7
    FLAC Griff1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by jmciver
    How do you do that? I intend to use my BT phone to interface with my car for hands free operation and then use it as a modem with the CarPC.

    I wanted to know if anybody has experienced any type of interference problems, etc when using BT as a means for using the phone as a modem. Using BT makes for a clean install since I can leave the phone in the factory BMW BT cradle in the center console.
    The truth of the matter is i don't switch,i bought myself a 2nd phone(same model as 1st)and use 1 as the modem.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by tasteItheIvalue
    i use verizon with a lg vx-8100. im using bluetooth to connect @ 1x which ill get around 5kb/s (slow), however in some area's i can connect to the new evdo network verizon has; this delivers broadband speeds through my phone. now verizon has made it so the vx8100 can't connect via bt to the internet... i had to hack the phone to get it to work. this whole process only takes about 2 minutes and its simple. for more info search on www.howarforums.com

    the good thing about this hack is that you do not need to pay for extra services from verizon... you pay for the minutes used as normal airtime minutes. so its free on nights and weekends.

    *note: this is not allowed by verizon's tos. so if you get caught; you risk a early termination of your contract <--- just a warning / didnt happen to me but i dont want to be responsible if it happens to you.
    Yeah I was snooping around HF and saw a lot of what you were talking about. The phone I intend to use is the Motorola E815. I was playing around with one in the store today and as far as I can tell, I should be able to switch BT devices on the phone.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate tasteItheIvalue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Connecicut; United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by jmciver
    Yeah I was snooping around HF and saw a lot of what you were talking about. The phone I intend to use is the Motorola E815. I was playing around with one in the store today and as far as I can tell, I should be able to switch BT devices on the phone.
    the e815 is a good choice... im almost positive that it is the only BT/Broadband phone verizon offers that you do not have to hack inorder to use the phone as a BT modem... although I enjoy my lg just the same

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tasteItheIvalue
    the e815 is a good choice... im almost positive that it is the only BT/Broadband phone verizon offers that you do not have to hack inorder to use the phone as a BT modem... although I enjoy my lg just the same
    I got an e815 two weeks ago, and it is sweet. I think it is true that you can use the dial-up modem right out of the box, but you need to key in ##DIALUP fast to activate Dial-Up Networking, as it is disabled from the factory. It would be worthwile to get the cable to do the seem edits and unlock OBEX. I did it and it is awesome. I am very happy with this phone. More info can be found at motorla.howardforums.com if you search for e815.

    I have been using the Express Networks during the free Nights and Weekends for the past few days, and get around 94Kbps Down/24 Kbps Up. I can only get on the 1x network, Lexington doesn't have the EVDO network coverage yet. (Which is why I will be removing VCAST as soon as my trial is up.) But hey, 94/24 is better than nothing! And best of all, it is FREE! (as long as you don't get booted and use it at night and on the weekends).

    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. What's your dream car?
    By Aaron Cake in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
  3. Just for laught: Computer and Car
    By MatrixPC in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 10:25 PM
  4. Car Stereo Installation Video's for Sale
    By johnram in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2002, 11:27 PM
  5. Anyone using Bluetooth in their car?
    By cjones in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2002, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •