Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 201

Thread: The legalities of wardriving.

  1. #171
    FLAC PURDooM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anoka County, MN
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by mbkowns
    jesus christ let this thread die .... I will always take free internet if your network is open. Good luck finding me also.... DISABLING THIS THREAD...
    No ****. I thought that on page 4 or so.

    samc: , you gonna cry too? I think you are missing the point. I will go and take services and do just about anything as long as I won't get caught and nobody gets hurt. I wouldn't stop and think 'is this legal' if I wanted map directions and I was near someones house in downtown Minneapolis.

    However, the whole point of this theread is what is legal if someone questioned you. I mean yes, you can do anything you want and probably won't get caught but in the off chance you are caught, what is within your right? And the consensus of the discussion is wardriving is legal, connecting isn't. But how severe the crime of connecting is the real issue; nobody has any real facts, just weak analogies (really weak in your case) and half assed stories. A few people quoted laws, but other people promptly ignored them because they want to justify the scanning and connecting that they use all the time. (

    I should go call the cop that tried to get my friend convicted of using my neighbors AP and ask him what the fine or charge would have been.
    Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

    Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

    Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

  2. #172
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by PURDooM
    No ****. I thought that on page 4 or so.

    samc: , you gonna cry too? I think you are missing the point. I will go and take services and do just about anything as long as I won't get caught and nobody gets hurt. I wouldn't stop and think 'is this legal' if I wanted map directions and I was near someones house in downtown Minneapolis.

    However, the whole point of this theread is what is legal if someone questioned you. I mean yes, you can do anything you want and probably won't get caught but in the off chance you are caught, what is within your right? And the consensus of the discussion is wardriving is legal, connecting isn't. But how severe the crime of connecting is the real issue; nobody has any real facts, just weak analogies (really weak in your case) and half assed stories. A few people quoted laws, but other people promptly ignored them because they want to justify the scanning and connecting that they use all the time. (

    I should go call the cop that tried to get my friend convicted of using my neighbors AP and ask him what the fine or charge would have been.

    Which state?
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  3. #173
    FLAC PURDooM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anoka County, MN
    Posts
    1,020
    minnesota
    Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

    Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

    Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

  4. #174
    FLAC samc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    944
    Cry? just what are you talking about?

    So you'd do the same as many of us and yes what are the chances you'd get caught? So you agree with everything I said but your trying to throw in a fancy term to negate it for some reason?

    Do you really think your neighbor who left their network open is smart enough to figure out who is connecting to their network?
    Mine needs to be updated.

  5. #175
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by PURDooM
    minnesota
    609.891 Unauthorized computer access.

    Subdivision 1. Crime. A person is guilty of
    unauthorized computer access if the person intentionally and
    without authority attempts to or does penetrate a computer
    security system.

    Subd. 2a. Authorization. "Authorization" means with the permission of the owner of the computer, computer system, computer network, computer software, or other property. Authorization may be limited by the owner by:

    (1) giving the user actual notice orally or in writing;

    (2) posting a written notice in a prominent location adjacent to the computer being used; or

    (3) using a notice displayed on or announced by the computer being used.

    609.87 Computer crime; definitions.

    Subd. 2.
    Access. "Access" means to instruct,
    communicate with, store data in, or retrieve data from a
    computer, computer system, or computer network.

    Subd. 5. Computer network. "Computer network" means the interconnection of a communication system with a computer through a remote terminal, or with two or more interconnected computers or computer systems, and includes private and public telecommunications networks.
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  6. #176
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by samc
    Cry? just what are you talking about?

    So you'd do the same as many of us and yes what are the chances you'd get caught? So you agree with everything I said but your trying to throw in a fancy term to negate it for some reason?

    Do you really think your neighbor who left their network open is smart enough to figure out who is connecting to their network?

    Maybe they left it open for a reason. Maybe they have older hardware that can 't do the newer encryption that their access point uses. Or maybe they just don't like you and are waiting for you to connect to steal your e-mail passwords.
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  7. #177
    FLAC
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    1,375
    How about this scenario?

    I'm a complete noob to the wireless scene. I buy a Linksys router and set it to unsecured, wideopen mode. The default SSID is "linksys." I also set my laptop to automatically connect to the above mentioned "linksys" network.

    My next door neighbor also has a wideopen, unsecured linksys router with the SSID "linksys." He has a super duper hugeass wireless antenna that can overpower my tiny router.

    So I'm sitting inside my house using my laptop. My laptop sees both "linksys" networks but since my neighbor's has stronger signal, it decides to connect to his instead. So all the while I'm surfing the web, I'm unknowingly using my neighbor's network because there's nothing telling me that the "linksys" network I'm using is not mine. (I know you can check the MAC address but again, I'm a noob here).

    Is what I'm doing illegal?
    iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
    CFX - Skin for Road Runner

  8. #178
    FLAC PURDooM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anoka County, MN
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWoods
    Maybe they left it open for a reason. Maybe they have older hardware that can 't do the newer encryption that their access point uses. Or maybe they just don't like you and are waiting for you to connect to steal your e-mail passwords.
    No, he was just an idiot. I guess he had some credit card fraud going on, and when he saw a kid with a laptop outside his house he ran out, yelled at him, took his plates, and called the cops. 3 months later I was brought in for questioning on how I was part of all this, I said friend was using my network (he was in fact using my neighbors) and then we basically discussed how my neighbor is too dumb to secure his crap.

    The cop added on: You don't know anyone who does this wardriving, do you? (me: no) I mean, at the end of the week when I want to have fun I go to a bar or grill some steaks or something. My idea of fun isnt trying to get someones internet for ****s and giggles.

    The guy definatly knew what he was talking about; at least the cops in my area are aware of wireless networks and the ramifications of them.
    Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

    Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

    Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

  9. #179
    FLAC PURDooM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anoka County, MN
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by samc
    So you agree with everything I said but your trying to throw in a fancy term to negate it for some reason?
    Basically. I am saying your logic is flawed, therefore your argument is flawed. Or in non fancy term speak: You are too dumb to make sense.
    Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

    Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

    Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

  10. #180
    FLAC samc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    944
    Purdoom again what are you talking about? Are you referring to something that happened in your own life and got caught for? This is not what we are talking about.

    Why are you trying to insult me? You admit to doing the same types of things yet you're to call me dumb? This is a chat forum so no need to try and personally attack someone to make youself feel better about yourself. You're probably no different from me.

    The other guy, who knows? I mean if his computer connected to your network one day, would you even know? Call it neighborly love.
    Mine needs to be updated.

Similar Threads

  1. Better solution for internet - Wardriving or Celular service?
    By J187 in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
  2. Wardriving :)
    By Yuriy in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 08:33 PM
  3. Athlon Or Pentium ?? DVD, Navigation, GPS, Wardriving, MP3's... Fast boot
    By Cruznlife1 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 06:08 AM
  4. wardriving antenna
    By wizardPC in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 11:25 PM
  5. Wifi chipsets and wardriving
    By MP3DUB in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •