Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 201

Thread: The legalities of wardriving.

  1. #81
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    It is really simple. Using without permission is not OK.
    All justifications are just that.
    Do what you want but, it is not legal.
    Really, it is not legal. Prove it. Show a law. Things are not just illegal. There has to be a law that makes it illegal. What permission needs to be gained. If you light your yard, and I walk by and use the light to read something, do you really think I have to ask permission first?? That is exactly what is happening. You are sending wifi (light) out to the street, where I am using it to surf the web (read).

    Nothing illegal about it.
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  2. #82
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiredwrx
    Really, it is not legal. Prove it. Show a law. Things are not just illegal. There has to be a law that makes it illegal. What permission needs to be gained. If you light your yard, and I walk by and use the light to read something, do you really think I have to ask permission first?? That is exactly what is happening. You are sending wifi (light) out to the street, where I am using it to surf the web (read).

    Nothing illegal about it.
    Justify it all you like. Whatever. It is easy to see you will not change your false point of view.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  3. #83
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Justify it all you like. Whatever. It is easy to see you will not change your false point of view.
    "False point of view"?

    If I saw a LAW that said it was illegal, then I would change my "false point of view" What I won't do is change my point of view because you said it is false. I deal in proof. In the law. Not your simple statements that have no bassis. You have yet to show me a law that says it is illegal, or provide any evidence or fact that it is illegal. All you have done is said it is illegal. So, is everything you say correct and true. Maybe in your little world, but trust me, just because you or I say something, doesn't make it so.

    Justification only occurs when the act is, and and the person knows is, wrong, but does it anyway because of some reason. There is nothing wrong/illegal about it. If you can show that it is illegal, well then my continued argument that it is not illegal would be justification. Until then, it is not. Your statements that something is illegal is just that, statements with no foundation.

    It would also be nice if you answered a question when posed to you.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  4. #84
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    I leave my access point open.... never had a problem with having my bandwidth used so much as to notice a problem... I also may connect to a access point somewhere if my verizon evdo is down, which is less & less likely as they constantly expand..

    I'm not doing anything malicious or destructive... & I wouldn't abuse this to the point of trying to do huge up/downloads.... if someone left there access point wide open then they shouldn't complain about someone using it as much as if they let there wife walk the streets with there tit's hanging out, don't blame anyone for looking... an open access point is just that... open.... a open window can be looked through, an open door can be walked through.... common sense should tell you if what your doing is right or wrong.... legally is another story..... I doubt anyone would be prosecuted for checking there email...

  5. #85
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Try the converse on for size. Just because you say it is not illegal does not make it legal.

    Prove it is OK for you to steal any amount of bandwith from some poor basterd that thinks wireless is cool, so he puts it in his home without knowing enough to secure it from the thieves of the world.

    Your justification (yes I read your post) does not make it OK. Research the law your self. I am not your legal counsel.

    Do you also justify speeding, running a yellow light, or swiping an extra newspaper from the stand?
    If someone's possession was in the sidewalk instead of on thier lawn would you take it?
    Is it legal?

    Ask a cybercrime expert...
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  6. #86
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by phc
    Little longer? Like decades right? WPA encryption is not crackable.
    Its not a good thing to ever use the word "uncrackable". It was once thought WEP was fairly secure. From pure brute force it is pretty secure.... Then crytptoanalysis attacks were discovered to break it in no time. The same thing COULD happen for WPA. It is nieve to EVER say anything is not crackable.

    I would say WPA is computationally secure given the current technology and any reasonable timeframe, but i would not say it is uncrackable.

  7. #87
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    anyone that's too ignorant to realize that there wireless is vulnerable if left wide open, is also going to be too ignorant to even know if someones using it....

    this point is becoming less of an issue now adays as more people become aware & most routers now adays hold your hand & walk you through encription...

    2 years ago there were open access points EVERYWHERE.... now adays more & more are locked down.... any attempt at cracking security.... thats malicious.... if your front door is wide open & someone walks in, they did nothing wrong.... if they take something or refuse to leave when asked, then there wrong.... if someone asked me not to connect to there ap I wouldn't.... but for the most part I don't think anyone with an access point open really cares.... if they did they'd do something about it....

  8. #88
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
    Its not a good thing to ever use the word "uncrackable". It was once thought WEP was fairly secure. From pure brute force it is pretty secure.... Then crytptoanalysis attacks were discovered to break it in no time. The same thing COULD happen for WPA. It is nieve to EVER say anything is not crackable.

    I would say WPA is computationally secure given the current technology and any reasonable timeframe, but i would not say it is uncrackable.


    21 seconds.
    http://www.wirelessdefence.org/Conte...ed_WPA_Attack:
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  9. #89
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6
    anyone that's too ignorant to realize that there wireless is vulnerable if left wide open, is also going to be too ignorant to even know if someones using it....

    this point is becoming less of an issue now adays as more people become aware & most routers now adays hold your hand & walk you through encription...

    2 years ago there were open access points EVERYWHERE.... now adays more & more are locked down.... any attempt at cracking security.... thats malicious.... if your front door is wide open & someone walks in, they did nothing wrong.... if they take something or refuse to leave when asked, then there wrong.... if someone asked me not to connect to there ap I wouldn't.... but for the most part I don't think anyone with an access point open really cares.... if they did they'd do something about it....
    So you are saying if I do not care, it is legal for you to take from me? Wow. I guess I should tell you I care if you abuse me, kill me, or steal from me. Please do not do any of those things to me.

    Are we as a society to say it is OK for you to steal if someone does not notice?

    Maybe more access points are locked down because of people like you stealing. That is one possible reason for the first lock being invented for the door to your house.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  10. #90
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Try the converse on for size. Just because you say it is not illegal does not make it legal.
    If I could prove the ABSENCE of a law, I would. The only proof is the fact that you have not shown a single law that makes it illegal. How do you propose that I PROVE that there is NO law that makes it illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Prove it is OK for you to steal any amount of bandwith from some poor basterd that thinks wireless is cool, so he puts it in his home without knowing enough to secure it from the thieves of the world.
    Like I said, something is illegal if there is a law AGAINST it. How would you like me to prove the abnsence of something.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Your justification (yes I read your post) does not make it OK. Research the law your self. I am not your legal counsel.
    Ahhhh, but I am. Thank lawschool for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Do you also justify speeding,
    That is illegal, I can show you the law if you like

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    running a yellow light,
    Not illegal, but how would you like me to prove the ABSENCE of a law.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    or swiping an extra newspaper from the stand?
    Illegal, shall I show you the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    If someone's possession was in the sidewalk instead of on thier lawn would you take it?
    Why yes, you could. See, larceny requires that you take something from anothers possession.
    http://www.lectlaw.com/def/l007.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3
    Is it legal?

    Ask a cybercrime expert...
    Are there any cybercrime experts here, because if not, then I think the discussion must end because Truckin thinks only an expert can give thier opinions and bleiefs in this thread.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Similar Threads

  1. Better solution for internet - Wardriving or Celular service?
    By J187 in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
  2. Wardriving :)
    By Yuriy in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 08:33 PM
  3. Athlon Or Pentium ?? DVD, Navigation, GPS, Wardriving, MP3's... Fast boot
    By Cruznlife1 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 06:08 AM
  4. wardriving antenna
    By wizardPC in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 11:25 PM
  5. Wifi chipsets and wardriving
    By MP3DUB in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •