Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: I Just have to ask...

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate nasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    696

    I Just have to ask...

    I would like to add internet to my ride....

    But I'm not sure what the *best* way to do it is.


    From reading the list I see the following options:

    1. Wardriving
    Pos: no month to month fee
    Con: Not legal in most areas, questionable availabilty

    2. Data plans from Cellphone companies
    Pro: better availablitiy (based on which service provider)
    Con: expensive
    T-Mobile -- 49.99
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/d...#Internet+Only
    Cingular -- 79.99 (unlimited, offers plans from 5 - 50 MB/month)
    http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp
    Verizon -- 59.99
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...d=13&catId=408
    Sprint -- 49.99
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Pa...artState=group


    So what do people really use?


    Nasa

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa View Post
    I would like to add internet to my ride....

    But I'm not sure what the *best* way to do it is.


    From reading the list I see the following options:

    1. Wardriving
    Pos: no month to month fee
    Con: Not legal in most areas, questionable availabilty

    2. Data plans from Cellphone companies
    Pro: better availablitiy (based on which service provider)
    Con: expensive
    T-Mobile -- 49.99
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/d...#Internet+Only
    Cingular -- 79.99 (unlimited, offers plans from 5 - 50 MB/month)
    http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp
    Verizon -- 59.99
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...d=13&catId=408
    Sprint -- 49.99
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Pa...artState=group


    So what do people really use?


    Nasa
    Most real Wardrivers will take offense to this. Wardriving has nothing to do with connecting!!

    As to your question, cellular would be the best* choice.




    Best being that you want an always on internet connection.
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate nasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    696
    oh, my bad...

    My apologies to those *true* wardrivers.

    BTW: I forgot to add using the *free* internet via DUN ( on verizon dun... and other providers). However, those have questionable legality due to the TOS.


    Nasa

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate nasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    696
    BarryWoods,

    So people think $50/month is worth it?

    Nasa

  5. #5
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    I pay $40/month for my data plan.
    Using that, I can connect anywhere I have a cell signal. I'd have that data plan on my Treo anyway, as I use it for work and get reimbursed for it. I have the added benefit of being able to tether my truck PC to it.

    Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a PCMCIA card or USB device to connect anywhere and ditch the data plan on the Treo.The cost would be pretty much the same, and I can use Bluetooth to communicate w/ teh PC.

    Is it worth it?
    I was driving across West Texas and Southern New Mexico, taking my daughter to Carlsbad Caverns this summer. Between Big Spring and Pecos (where there is absolutely nothing), she was able to surf the net and play games on Nick.com and Disney.com, staying amused for several long, boring hours of driving.

    You tell me whether that's worht it.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    24
    Verizon is $80 a month unless you have a verizon voice plan too.
    I have Verizon EVDO with an EVDO wireless router in my car. I used it alot a few months back for work on a special project, but currently i feel like i am wasting my $80 a month just to upload GPS chords and occasionally check Gmail.
    JackyD -
    (Formerly JakDaDark on these board.
    god i hated that name)

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate nasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    696
    DarquePervert,

    So who do you have your service through? $10 is $10....


    Nasa

  8. #8
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    I pay $60 with a PC card from sprint and let me tell you that I love it (nothing better than hear you morning radio program form all over the world (ohh and TV also )

    Thanatos.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

    Nissan Aux-in MOD


    Quote Originally Posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate BarryWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa View Post
    BarryWoods,

    So people think $50/month is worth it?

    Nasa
    If I could get it that cheap up here I'd probably get it. I'd have to ask the CFO first though....
    Failure is not an option....



    It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

  10. #10
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa View Post
    DarquePervert,

    So who do you have your service through? $10 is $10....
    Cingular.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •