The basic DVD mount was easy: it's simply an arch over the head unit. The arch legs are slotted where they attach to the head unit so I can adjust the distance between them. I cut the sheet metal to size, made 1/8" bends on the front and back in the bender, bent the tabs down in the vise, drilled holes and made the slots, and cleaned it up with a file. The small bends on the front and rear add stability and add just enough strength for the light load on them. You can see it in the pictures below.
Making the bracket that holds the DVD unit was tough. I'd commented earlier that I thought good Velcro-type material would hold the DVD in place just fine. Using Velcro would certainly reduce the cost and reduce the time invested. As much as it flies in the face of "engineering" these parts, Velcro is really good stuff, and would definitely be a functional alternate approach.
Although Velcro would have been a lot easier, sheet metal appealed to me as a more OEM approach. I made a separate DVD bracket that attaches to the mount. The bracket is designed so I can adjust the depth of the DVD unit in the dash.
I originally planned to make it out of a single piece of sheet metal; my design called for two bends just a half-inch (13mm) apart, going in opposite directions. That's a bear on my equipment. It was one of those shade-tree-engineering surprises: it's such a bear that I just couldn't do it.
I had to resort to aluminum angle for the second bend. Luckily, I had some 1/2" x 1/2" angle on my shelves. I thought about galvanic corrosion that results from using dissimilar metals, in this case aluminum and galvanized steel. But I decided that, in a relatively controlled environment like the car, it shouldn't present much of a corrosion problem because there should be no significant flow of electrical current through them.
I used countersunk heads on the connecting fasteners, and bolted the DVD bracket to the DVD mount. It isn't exactly pretty -- if I had a more-capable bender, I'd have produced a simpler, cleaner-looking bracket that would have eliminated a lot of the work.
Although I used machine screws to fasten the DVD bracket down, I could also have used pop rivets. They'd be perfectly acceptable; I just think they're ugly.
I didn't have the right fasteners to attach the DVD bracket to the angles, so I finally made that field trip to Park Center Hardware. I got fasteners, Krylon Fusion Paint, emery cloth, some tiny Torx bits, some elevator bolts, "Shoe Goo" to repair my shop shoes, a fudge ice cream bar, and some pretty good coffee. Fun place.
Here are the resulting parts, seen from the left front:
Click images to enlarge.
And here it is from the left front and left rear with the DVD unit in place:
That tiny 1/2" x 1/2" angle tab attached to the back center of the DVD unit screws into a standard hole found in most of these players. I'll use a small machine screw and nut to fasten it permanently to the DVD mount deck when I get the final position determined. If this was a production version, there'd be a slot system for adjustment; I'm just going to leave it slip-fit until I get back into making the bezel and determine where it needs to go.
You may notice that it looks as if the parts don't sit squarely on the surface; actually, the part is square, but there's a little curvature in the corrugated plastic deck of my photo background.
Now I'll get these pieces mounted on the head unit.