Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: 2005 Scion xB with Centrafuse plus AMD X2 64 5600+ and 17" touchscreen

  1. #11
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    OMG, is this Josh? So this is your sons ride Rdholtz? OMG, now I can really picture the officers face when he say that big @$$ screen. Have you ever thought of making a rotating system for it, so when its only you in the car, you can adjust the screen towards you?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #12
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28
    LOL -- yes, you have figured us out!

    On the question of screen rotation: I have tried to keep the mount as rigid as possible, and also maintain plausible deniability when it comes to law enforcement. I know I am pushing the limits with this "navigation system" so is made sense to make it look more like a system that is setup for the car/passenger.

    My friends in law enforcement have made it quite clear, they don't care if it is a 42" screen... if I have a movie playing and it's viewable from the driver seat... they can write a note to my mom and the local judge. (Your local laws may vary)

    We have also talked about the navigation portion of it... the only law on the books (GA/FL) that applies to Navigation, is the distracted driver laws... and these are open to interpretation by the officer/Judge. So, if they see you weaving (even within your lane) they can stop you and write you.

    So, if you are eating a burger, drinking coffee, texting on your cell phone, smoking... etc

    focus on the road first.
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

  3. #13
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28

    Work in Progress

    I know it’s a waste of time telling any of you that this is a work in progress...

    But it is.

    I spent some time this weekend visiting friends who live.... hmmm... to say this politically correctly... we are in different tax brackets.

    They have current model his and her's lexus... one hybrid, one very sweet SC... Anyway, during our conversation the carputer came up... so while walking out they insisted upon seeing it.

    I love the geek factor, but when I saw how much they admired my toys...

    All of us have something people can not yet buy!! The collective creative genius in these forums is not yet available in any show room!

    So, here's to all of you!! keep up the great work!!

    Our “work in progress” have more bells and whistles than the showrooms of Lexus!
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

  4. #14
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28
    The other portion, I forgot to mention... since someone ripped my 15" screen out of the dash... I decided with the 17"... Steel, Welding and large bolts were in order...

    Since the monitor is drilled for both hole patterns... we installed all 8 screws.

    Overkill is a lot of fun...
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

  5. #15
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy71 View Post
    LOL -- yes, you have figured us out!

    On the question of screen rotation: I have tried to keep the mount as rigid as possible, and also maintain plausible deniability when it comes to law enforcement. I know I am pushing the limits with this "navigation system" so is made sense to make it look more like a system that is setup for the car/passenger.

    My friends in law enforcement have made it quite clear, they don't care if it is a 42" screen... if I have a movie playing and it's viewable from the driver seat... they can write a note to my mom and the local judge. (Your local laws may vary)

    We have also talked about the navigation portion of it... the only law on the books (GA/FL) that applies to Navigation, is the distracted driver laws... and these are open to interpretation by the officer/Judge. So, if they see you weaving (even within your lane) they can stop you and write you.

    So, if you are eating a burger, drinking coffee, texting on your cell phone, smoking... etc

    focus on the road first.
    Well my understanding is that as long as your screen is not displaying video (where the driver can see) then you are not breaking the law. You can even put a 62 inch screen (I know I'm exaggerating) and they cant say anything unless its showing video and like you said, being a major distraction. i wonder what they are going to say when mine is finally done.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy71 View Post
    The other portion, I forgot to mention... since someone ripped my 15" screen out of the dash... I decided with the 17"... Steel, Welding and large bolts were in order...

    Since the monitor is drilled for both hole patterns... we installed all 8 screws.

    Overkill is a lot of fun...
    I hear you. I forgot all about your misfortune. I think thats the reason my setup is so complicated. They could never figure it out, and if they did, the EBY701 is easy to replace. Did your insurance help at all?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #16
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Well my understanding is that as long as your screen is not displaying video (where the driver can see) then you are not breaking the law. You can even put a 62 inch screen (I know I'm exaggerating) and they cant say anything unless its showing video and like you said, being a major distraction. i wonder what they are going to say when mine is finally done.
    Wow... i'm not sure a 62" would do well in the XB... maybe front to rear?? Yeah, I could replace the passenger side of the car completely, and install a rotating captains chair in place of the drivers seat!!...

    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    I hear you. I forgot all about your misfortune. I think thats the reason my setup is so complicated. They could never figure it out, and if they did, the EBY701 is easy to replace. Did your insurance help at all?
    BTW-- the genius's that broke into my car clearly had no clue. Simply smash and grab. They left LOTS of good stuff behind... including the bank envelope containing the days deposits from my PC shop... My laptop bag in the back... etc...

    Since the system was rigid mount, the Insurance said they'd help out... but they wanted invoices... So, in order to collect for all of the time spent on the install, i'd have to create invoices to turn in... My net cash loss was less than $500... it was the time that hurt... so, while I was certainly tempted, it felt a lot like insurance fraud.

    We decided instead to make it more frustrating for the would-be thieves next time... The mount that rdholtz designed would support the 62" screen, cantilevered from one end! But, then we'd truly want to install the pivot.


    I do realize that I was VERY fortunate to have driven away, wind and rain blowing in my window & face... only have lost the screen and window glass.

    It's just how you decide to look at it... I'm not sure you were aware of this, but "Every Silver lining has a cloud"

    I just don't collect the clouds.
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

  7. #17
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28

    Planning for power...

    The time has come to let the "easy" DC-AC inverter go, and install the OPUS-320 that i purchased 2+years ago...

    RDholtz has inspired me to get this thing moving...

    Also, the added fun of realizing that the radar detector could be tied to the aux power system... to provide a nice heads up digital voltage display... i like toys...

    So, the scope of this round:

    Upgrade my isolator system from 40 to 80amps (faster recharge times)

    Modify the ground system to chasis ground, from the dedicated ground (eliminate audio noise)

    Clean up the wiring

    Modify the inputs of the router, LCD, and USB hubs to accept DC power from the opus.

    Move the inverter to a switchable circuit-- allowing me to choose Primary or aux battery input.

    Not much for parts required... just labor and time...

    I've done the math on my power requirements.... again.

    it seems that my worst case will not exceed the opus 320 capability.

    I am getting my meters out, so i can get startup and run-time readings for each device.

    I'll write back soon...
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

  8. #18
    Newbie ozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    28

    DC-to-DC conversion

    WOW!!! what a difference. We installed the OPUS-320 this past weekend, modified the relay controls so the system is 100% AC power free...

    I checked the voltage on the aux battery after 30 minutes of run time... the voltage had dropped from 12.8 to 12.5 volts. The long math on that leaves me with a crazy amout of key-off run time.

    No more whine in the stereo from the invertor, auto start-up and shut down...

    I am nearing completion!!!

    Thank you RDHoltz for your help!!!
    .
    If a little will do a little good, then a lot will do a lot of good.

    2005 Scion XB with AMD X2 64 5600+, 17" Touchscreen, Centrafuse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 2005 Scion Xb Install
    By fixerofallthing in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
  2. 2005 scion xb install
    By professorjason in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
  3. 2005 scion xb - finished
    By professorjason in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 12:39 AM
  4. 2005 Scion xB - 15" touchscreen project
    By Chernobyl in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 02:16 AM
  5. Where to DL old version of RR?
    By accentsound in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 12:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •