Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: '97 Seville STS

  1. #11
    Variable Bitrate quantum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    372
    Yep, god bless Cadillac...

    I got a hold of these diagrams for $12.00
    Cheap Automotive Wiring Diagrams

    They were a bit more detailed and color coded than the FSM info.

    Totally familar with the fuse box issue, (6'4 and...well...a bit more than 250), what a *****! Does your car also have a fuse block under the hood too? My 98 did.

  2. #12
    Constant Bitrate MindDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Shorewood IL
    Posts
    176
    yeah i tracked that site down a while back....

    as for the fuse box under the hood well yeah, right after i bought the car, first thing i did was start taking small plastic covers off to see what was under them... couldnt find the auxilary fuse panel (the one in the trunk) till i pulled down the carpet. one beef i have with cadillac is why they made the fuses so difficult to get at--- scenario: its pouring rain, a fuse blows- the one for your wipers, you have a trunk full of groceries, you pull over on the highway to change a fuse so u can SEE... yeah the convienence level of a luxury car just flew out the window with $300 worth of soggy food.. who floats the bill on that one... again *(SHAKES FIST AT GM)*

    all cadillacs since the early 80's had the fuse blocks in 2 places, one under the hood with the MAXI fuses, and either under the dash (like my '83 eldo and '87 seville) to in the trunk (like the '92 eldo and '97 seville) now my '69 deville had the glass fuses under the dash but those were easy to change... just slide the seat back (electric seat ) and you could comfortably lay down on the floor almost enough to take a nap on the brake pedal

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate MindDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Shorewood IL
    Posts
    176
    yay more pics....due to the amount of pics im taking, im only going to be posting a "LINK TO" so the page doesnt take 9 years to load and the geocities site im hosting pics from doesnt get taken down due to bandwidth blablabla....

    GOOD news: the stock radio was completely incorporated into the head unit...

    unlike my 92 eldorado where the head unit was just a digital display and the majority of the radio electronics was mounted in the trunk

    ANYWAY... heres some progress pictures:
    this nice blank spot in the center is where the "BOSE" sterio hardware 'would have' gone, but im blessed with the "DELCO" cheapo


    notice there isnt any amplifiers mounted to the speakers:



    center console disassembly:
    the cup holder had 2 screws, PRND321 plate was snap in, gear shifter knob had a staple like pin that held the knob on



    glovebox removed and the VALET/Traction control plugs:


    the super secret ashtray screw and the cig lighter and ashtray light:



    2 mounting screws for the HVAC display:


    removal of the upper button control module (trip reset, info reset, INFO, trunk open, fuel open):


    upper control module removed and the 2 upper screws to remove the head unit and HVAC:


    the back of the head unit and HVAC controls:



    the whole sound system (less wire harnesses):


    (INTERMISSION: geocities capped my site.. im transferring these images to photobucket and will be modifying the thread posts to reflect the new links)
    ok mostly fixed.... ON WITH THE SHOW....

    reintalling the HVAC display w/o the headunit and upper control module:


    the building materials:
    im a firm beleiver in "why buy something new when you have bunches of scrap laying around", here lies the final resting place of an old baby AT computer case, and begins the birth of the new parts to my mod:


    as you can see, i got a head of myself and forgot to take the sketch pic and just a pic of after i started hacking away at the metal (the cuts are for the display bezel around the monitor:


    these are the side pieces which will be mounted where the original head unit screwed in at, and the curve will support and shape the first ^^^ piece of metal to give it the "stock" look:

    side view of the piece next to the original head unit:


    heres the pieces layed out "exploded" to show the build pattern:


    the battery isolator from my previous 92 eldo project which i have to find a place for *grumbles*:


    rough fit of the front bezel piece to shape the corners and over all fit:
    this was a slow process, as i dont have any advanced tools for sheetmetal working, i rounded the edges using a hand held jigsaw and the edge of the blade to round the corners, yes it was a slow process, and yes i got a few hot pieces of steel embedded in my face (ill be using a face shield and a respirator for the rest of the project)



    the project work space, it took more time to pull all this crap out of my car than it did to set everything up to start working on modifying the install:




    last but not least, i failed to show the victim, so here she is:



    MORE TO COME as developments develop (wow thats redundant)

  4. #14
    Constant Bitrate MindDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Shorewood IL
    Posts
    176
    made some real good progress today... pics...im in a hurry to get this finished for the meet next sunday... so ill fill in the stories post production:
    (man i wish i had a real fabrication shop or at least some real fabrication tooling ~_~)




















  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate quantum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    372
    Lookin' good, MindDrive!

    Are you going to re-route the Info button panel someplace else?

    I took mine apart and replaced the switches with N/O momentary buttons from Radio Shack. Inside the piece is a flat board with mini mounted switches that the big buttons just press against. Basically just de-soldered those and re-soldered in 2 leads for each switch.

    Might be a cool thing to ru through a Fusion Brain too, but I wanted control over my DIC with or without the PC on, so I opted for a modified switch panel.

    Anxios to see the finished work, oh and the stories too!

  6. #16
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Lookin' good, MindDrive!

    Are you going to re-route the Info button panel someplace else?

    I took mine apart and replaced the switches with N/O momentary buttons from Radio Shack. Inside the piece is a flat board with mini mounted switches that the big buttons just press against. Basically just de-soldered those and re-soldered in 2 leads for each switch.

    Might be a cool thing to ru through a Fusion Brain too, but I wanted control over my DIC with or without the PC on, so I opted for a modified switch panel.

    Anxios to see the finished work, oh and the stories too!
    Funny you should mention relocating the button panel. I cut a notch into the lower dash panel directly over the steering wheel and relocated mine there on my 96 Eldorado ESC-V. The OEM wiring is plenty long enough to reroute there and its actually more convenient. Its not complete yet, but when I'm done it should look OEM.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  7. #17
    Variable Bitrate quantum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Funny you should mention relocating the button panel. I cut a notch into the lower dash panel directly over the steering wheel and relocated mine there on my 96 Eldorado ESC-V. The OEM wiring is plenty long enough to reroute there and its actually more convenient. Its not complete yet, but when I'm done it should look OEM.
    Got a pic. Gizmo? That sounds interesting!

  8. #18
    Constant Bitrate MindDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Shorewood IL
    Posts
    176
    funny you should ask... and this is a great example of hindsite is always 2020.... after making the screen bezel, getting it fit and starting to bondo out the imperfections etc etc, during a mock fit, i noticed that i dont have access to the upper bracket mounting screws. gonna hafta fiture out how to refab this one ~_~

    was thinking about integrating the HVAC display into the carputer, but then realized that it would be best left alone but may incorporate it later once the dust clears

    the monitor controls, DIC buttons, and some carpc buttons are gonna be mounted along the top and sides of the monitor, if i cannot find a solution with the mounting screws ill just retro fit the original buttons on top of the monitor and trim the top portion of the steel to allow for the installation of the OEM button panel. the new bezel and the HVAC are going to all be the same color, satin black, glossy but not too glossy as to blind myself when the sun beams down on it

  9. #19
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Got a pic. Gizmo? That sounds interesting!
    Ran out and grabbed some with my phone.





    And one of the cutout:
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  10. #20
    Variable Bitrate quantum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by MindDrive View Post
    funny you should ask... and this is a great example of hindsite is always 2020.... after making the screen bezel, getting it fit and starting to bondo out the imperfections etc etc, during a mock fit, i noticed that i dont have access to the upper bracket mounting screws. gonna hafta fiture out how to refab this one ~_~

    was thinking about integrating the HVAC display into the carputer, but then realized that it would be best left alone but may incorporate it later once the dust clears

    the monitor controls, DIC buttons, and some carpc buttons are gonna be mounted along the top and sides of the monitor, if i cannot find a solution with the mounting screws ill just retro fit the original buttons on top of the monitor and trim the top portion of the steel to allow for the installation of the OEM button panel. the new bezel and the HVAC are going to all be the same color, satin black, glossy but not too glossy as to blind myself when the sun beams down on it
    Ya' know, I was looking at your pics last night and asking myself "how the hell is gonna access the 2 mounting bolts for on top?" Been there. I figured you had a trick up your sleeve, LOL

    You MIGHT be able to access them through the 2 vents above it. It would require popping the vents themselves out (they just pull out, give them a good tug with a pair of pliers on one of the fins, protect the finish with rubber or felt).

    The bottom of that vent hole is just 1/8" plastic. You can carve some of it away or drill holes and possibly rig up some "L" brackets or something, then cover it back up with some thin plexi or ABS.

    Post more pics!


    Gizmo - love it, man!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 97 Corolla
    By thunderdrummer in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
  2. Removing '97 Corolla Factory HU?
    By stifen in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 10:10 PM
  3. Custom log parsing automationÖ
    By xcntrk75 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 03:19 PM
  4. Racist Blacks on Hot 97 (NYC Radio station)
    By pdpbunsen in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-22-2001, 06:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •