Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 824

Thread: 2003 Durango SLT / Project HiJackZX1 / 56K= D@mn this $h!+ is gonna load slow!

  1. #31
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuller View Post
    From everything i have heard, the seek times are cut drastically for a SSD drive than for a standard hard drive. They are a bunch more expensive, but i think you are on to something with the os on a SSD and the music on a standard drive, maybe some rubber bushings for shock absorbtion? (?sp)
    I agree. I've read that SSDs are much faster, but that they are limited to a certain (pretty large) number of writes. One of the good things about putting the OS on an SSD is that it doesn't experience a lot of writes, especially if the pagefile is moved to the hard drive.

    SSDs are a lot lighter, too. But, on a Durango, I guess that isn't much of a factor, is it?
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  2. #32
    Maximum Bitrate Kimota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale ,Florida
    Posts
    468
    Howdy Jack,

    Whats up been a while If you don't remember from the last time we met up I actually have an Mtron SSD that I keep my OS on. The read and boot time on an good quality SSD (like my Mtron) is MUCH MUCH faster than non SSD drive.

    Also with current-generation SSDs, such as those by MTRON have no read cycle limits, and a write life cycle of 140 YEARS. (You read that correctly). 140 years @5GB per day.

    But they are also much more expensive than you normal hard drives if you plan on picking up a SSD I'd suggest you get one from dvnation.com.


  3. #33
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    I agree. I've read that SSDs are much faster, but that they are limited to a certain (pretty large) number of writes. One of the good things about putting the OS on an SSD is that it doesn't experience a lot of writes, especially if the pagefile is moved to the hard drive.

    SSDs are a lot lighter, too. But, on a Durango, I guess that isn't much of a factor, is it?
    lol, no weight is not a factor.... the new center console is about 2 plus pounds, lol.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #34
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
    Howdy Jack,

    Whats up been a while If you don't remember from the last time we met up I actually have an Mtron SSD that I keep my OS on. The read and boot time on an good quality SSD (like my Mtron) is MUCH MUCH faster than non SSD drive.

    Also with current-generation SSDs, such as those by MTRON have no read cycle limits, and a write life cycle of 140 YEARS. (You read that correctly). 140 years @5GB per day.

    But they are also much more expensive than you normal hard drives if you plan on picking up a SSD I'd suggest you get one from dvnation.com.

    LOL, i can never forget you..... Well Im going to check the site out. See whats up with them. In the end i may just wait a bit.

    On another note. What is the best software i should use to create a image of my PC? If the HDD does die, I dont want to have to reinstall each thing at a time. Also if I do upgrade to a SSD will I be able to simply use the image disk and install the OS and everything else, that way? Where would programs go, like CF, on the SSD also?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  5. #35
    Maximum Bitrate Kimota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale ,Florida
    Posts
    468
    Hi Jack,

    For imaging I like Ghost (old school) or Shadowprotect (really fast). Yep you can simply make an image of your existing PC and drop it on an SSD should you want to upgrade.

    If you upgrade to SSD I recommend you install your OS and programs on an SSD and data (movies, music etc) on a seperate Non SSD drive. Unless prices fall enough that a really large SSD is a reasonable option.

    P.S

    Just picked up a 3g iPhone and tethering it to CarPC its crazy fast.

    Check out this post for more info
    Iphone tethering after 1.1.1

  6. #36
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
    Hi Jack,

    For imaging I like Ghost (old school) or Shadowprotect (really fast). Yep you can simply make an image of your existing PC and drop it on an SSD should you want to upgrade.

    If you upgrade to SSD I recommend you install your OS and programs on an SSD and data (movies, music etc) on a seperate Non SSD drive. Unless prices fall enough that a really large SSD is a reasonable option.

    P.S

    Just picked up a 3g iPhone and tethering it to CarPC its crazy fast.

    Check out this post for more info
    Iphone tethering after 1.1.1
    Thats the route I will go, use ghost or Shadowprotect. I have Ghost but have always had issues with it. So i'll try the later. As far as iPhone is concerned, I am a HTC fan, im looking to upgrade to the new HTC Touch Pro when it comes out in octber. It has a 528 mhz processor and impressive Ram and Rom, and best of all it works on Sprint's uber fast EVDO Rev A. network. I have never tethered my phones though since the car has its own aircard. From my understanding is that if some1 calls, internet will drop then resume once the caller hangs up. I didnt like the idea of that so i bought the aircard. i would hate to be watching TV and slingbox disconnects because of a retarded phone call.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  7. #37
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    54
    sounds awesome Hijack, want pictures!
    [1997 Chevrolet Suburban]
    PLANNING.[====================] 15%]
    CAR PC......[====================] 0%]
    INSTALL....[====================] 0%]
    INTERIOR..[====================] 0%]
    BUDGET.....[====================] 5%]

  8. #38
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    I decided to pull out my emergency cut up dash that I bought to test how I would mount the screen. I bought the Dakota version thinking it was the same, well it isnt. I fit the screen onto it and installed it in the car, but the A/C controls wouldnt fit since mine has more controls and the Dakota obviously doesnt have them. So I sucked up my fear and cut into the original. I did pretty good since I knew what I was going to do from practicing on the first one. Pix are below. Im going to start a thread in the fabrication area to get ideas on how to tackle this.

    In these pics you see were I made the cuts. You can see the original hole was larger. I going to have to fill in those gaps.



    Here are pictures from the front and top.



    Here are pictures from the left and right.

    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #39
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603

    Finally have it installed!

    Ok I finally decided to install the console to see how it looks. Here are the pix.





    Here is the pix of the airholes. The front will not get any grills since it is so recessed and you cant really see it. The back will get 2 silver grills.



    Here is the front with the 10.2 rear view screen. Attached to it is a smaller screen which displays the front and rear parking sensors, so I dont hit things.
    Also here is a view from the back.



    Only thing left is the front dash. Install of the X-Fi soundcard. Install of the 7.1 cables. Install of the 3rd row amp. Install of the rear 3rd row speakers. Install of new rear cam. Install of side cams. Then install of QP auto switch mod. Then I should be done.

    This console was discountinued.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #40
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Finally got my X-Fi card, but something happened to the MoBo. It no longer turns on. Not even the BIOS POST screen will come up. Finally when my install starts to come to its end, something bad like this has to happen. I am hoping it is covered by warranty and either IEI or LogicSupply will replace it. I have tried it in the car, and on my work bench. Everything seems to power up.... HDD, USB Hubs, but the screen is just black. Now I have pulled everything out of the car (MoBo, PSU, and its fans) and now im am trouble shooting that. THIS REALLY SUCKS!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Similar Threads

  1. Project 2003 Dodge Dakota
    By Eternalodyssey in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
  2. 2003 Mazda 6 project
    By Brunation in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
  3. Mitsubishi Outlander 2003 Project
    By angelito46 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 08:05 AM
  4. New 2003 Saturn L200 In-Dash Project
    By snoslicer8 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 10:06 PM
  5. New carputer project started - 350z (56k beware)
    By StutterinJ in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 07:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •