Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 102

Thread: 2000 MX5/Miata EEEPC CarPC (Photos)

  1. #81
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    85
    note - you'll also need to check the diagram of the actual wires to use on the RJ45 cable if you have'nt already, theres a picture floating around on this board. basically you link two together permanently, and another two are joined when you want the pc to turn on (these go thru the relay)
    MX-5 Carputer Progress:
    (Check ibfragalot's Worklog)
    Purchase [****_] 95%
    Design [*****] 100%
    Install [*****] 95%

  2. #82
    Constant Bitrate enigmacarpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    93
    What did you connect the power on button to?

    And do you have a cable coming out of the laptop case?

  3. #83
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    85
    I connected the power button to an external button in the car. When I get a chance I'll hook it up to a relay, where the RJ45 used to hook up, so that it will turn on with the car automatically.

    There is a small disconnectable cable coming out of the kensington lock hole on the side of the laptop.
    MX-5 Carputer Progress:
    (Check ibfragalot's Worklog)
    Purchase [****_] 95%
    Design [*****] 100%
    Install [*****] 95%

  4. #84
    Constant Bitrate enigmacarpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    93
    Thanks great idea.

    Are there just 2 wires for the power you need to splice?

  5. #85
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    85
    Most laptop power buttons will use the standard little clicky button inside, which has 3 poles

    _O_
    | | |

    You _really should use a multimeter to test_ but you will likely find the first and last are the ones to connect together to get a turn on. Test by pressing your multimeter against the first and last |'s, and when you press the button you will get a response on the multimeter. This means you've got the right wires.

    NOTE: Its more complicated when connecting to a relay. Of course, when you press the on button on your laptop, or the on button you might put (temporarily like me) inside your car, you only press it for a second then release - you don't hold the damn button down while your driving! So of course, when connecting to a relay you need to make the relay only connect the |'s for a second or so and then release to get a turn on. There are circuits at the12volt.com which show you how to do this (a few extra components, cheap as) and you should do this, otherwise if you just connect it straight up as per previous relay diagram, you'd effectively be holding down the power button continuously which would render unknown results.

    So yeah, when you hook up to the relay schematic, check out the12volt.com for the diagram on where to hook up some extra bits so it only connects for half a second, then your done.. its called a momentary switch i believe.

    Or you can be cheap and quick like me for the time being and just wire it straight to the 1st and 3rd |'s, to a press switch and bam its all good. But yeah, bummer having to manually press it everytime you start your car.

    Also - I was thinking of keeping this button in some fashion so that I can reboot/shutdown the laptop if necessary - ie. windows crashing or something.



    sorry for the long post, but i kinda like to explain even simple things in detail heh
    MX-5 Carputer Progress:
    (Check ibfragalot's Worklog)
    Purchase [****_] 95%
    Design [*****] 100%
    Install [*****] 95%

  6. #86
    Newbie wazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17

    nice set up

    nice job check out my setup www.carpcaustralia.com.au


    cheers
    wazzapc

  7. #87
    Constant Bitrate lacning74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by ibfragalot View Post
    Most laptop power buttons will use the standard little clicky button inside, which has 3 poles

    _O_
    | | |

    You _really should use a multimeter to test_ but you will likely find the first and last are the ones to connect together to get a turn on. Test by pressing your multimeter against the first and last |'s, and when you press the button you will get a response on the multimeter. This means you've got the right wires.

    NOTE: Its more complicated when connecting to a relay. Of course, when you press the on button on your laptop, or the on button you might put (temporarily like me) inside your car, you only press it for a second then release - you don't hold the damn button down while your driving! So of course, when connecting to a relay you need to make the relay only connect the |'s for a second or so and then release to get a turn on. There are circuits at the12volt.com which show you how to do this (a few extra components, cheap as) and you should do this, otherwise if you just connect it straight up as per previous relay diagram, you'd effectively be holding down the power button continuously which would render unknown results.

    So yeah, when you hook up to the relay schematic, check out the12volt.com for the diagram on where to hook up some extra bits so it only connects for half a second, then your done.. its called a momentary switch i believe.

    Or you can be cheap and quick like me for the time being and just wire it straight to the 1st and 3rd |'s, to a press switch and bam its all good. But yeah, bummer having to manually press it everytime you start your car.

    Also - I was thinking of keeping this button in some fashion so that I can reboot/shutdown the laptop if necessary - ie. windows crashing or something.



    sorry for the long post, but i kinda like to explain even simple things in detail heh
    did you see this auto-on laptop momentary switch module that does exactly what you are saying? i'm installing a eee 1000h based carpc and i'm scared to learn how to solder.

  8. #88
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by lacning74 View Post
    did you see this auto-on laptop momentary switch module that does exactly what you are saying? i'm installing a eee 1000h based carpc and i'm scared to learn how to solder.
    no i did'nt, thanks, thats it exactly.

    hey - dont be afraid about soldering. its nothing. i first soldered when i was a kid - only thing you have to be scared of is burnin your finger(thru general stupidity), and i still do that now on occasion lol
    MX-5 Carputer Progress:
    (Check ibfragalot's Worklog)
    Purchase [****_] 95%
    Design [*****] 100%
    Install [*****] 95%

  9. #89
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ibfragalot View Post
    no idea about the startup/shutdown controllers sorry mate. those are for PC's, I'm doing a laptop...

    your not asking about using RJ45 as 12v source are you? just in case you are, definitely no! little more than a volt going thru it.
    Why not get a cheap router, and use the "wake on lan" function to bring the laptop out of hibernation when you start the car? Got the idea from this guy:

    http://www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc/installation/

    I'm doing the same thing with my install, which also uses a laptop. Can't swear to you how well it works yet, I'm putting the inverter in this weekend, which will be connected directly to the battery via a relay that will only provide it with power when the car is running. Then the laptop, router, and powered usb will be connected to the inverter to all power up when I start my truck. In theory, and according to the fellow I got the idea from, it should work great.

  10. #90
    Constant Bitrate lacning74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by lees40 View Post
    Why not get a cheap router, and use the "wake on lan" function to bring the laptop out of hibernation when you start the car? Got the idea from this guy:

    http://www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc/installation/

    I'm doing the same thing with my install, which also uses a laptop. Can't swear to you how well it works yet, I'm putting the inverter in this weekend, which will be connected directly to the battery via a relay that will only provide it with power when the car is running. Then the laptop, router, and powered usb will be connected to the inverter to all power up when I start my truck. In theory, and according to the fellow I got the idea from, it should work great.
    While it has worked for others, I had issues trying wake on lan. My eee pc 1000h supports it but it only works if the computer was shut down while plugged in and remains plugged in with power until you wake it up. I only supply power when the car is running via my car adapter, so after my computer loses AC power, the computer will not wake up via wake on lan.

    Other users here have had the same problem with the eee pc as well. I also remember a guy with a Compaq laptop that had the problem I think. I wish my BIOS had a start-up when power detected option. That would make our lives easier.

    I ended up soldering my power switch and I'm going to attach a 528T pulse timer relay to activate it.

Similar Threads

  1. muting head unit audio when carPC outputs audio
    By augieman in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 07:35 PM
  2. For Sale: CarPC EZ v.2.5d
    By stevent76 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 08:55 PM
  3. CarPC Gets BLACKOUT! when monitor is connected!
    By Sympotonic in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
  4. speed up win 2000 boot time
    By more mods in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 11:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •