Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: First car (truck) PC

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    48

    First car (truck) PC

    Hi, Been lurking on this forum for a while and I'm finally fed up with my Pioneer D-1 and the lack of support from pioneer. Touchscreen wont stay in calibration and they want $200 to fix it. So to H3ll with it. I'm gonna try to build a truck PC.

    My system "plan" so far:
    MB - Intel 945GCLF2
    mem - 2 gb of kingston
    HD - 160 gb segate 2.5 sata
    Panasonic slot load DVD
    M2-ATX PS

    bybyte case
    eby701 screen

    XM usb adapter
    universal XM tuner
    HQCT FM or SIlabs FM (not sure yet HQCT is kinda spendy, Silabs kinda iffy)

    GPS - USGlobalSat BU-353
    Map monkey or iGuidance

    Frontend RR with DFX 4.0 skin <---awesome skin btw

    Thats all I'm going to start with, if I can get it working I'll add to it time and money permitting.

    The picture is kinda how I want it put together in my truck.
    Any recommendations, changes?

    Thanks TJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    84
    Very nice

  3. #3
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbrewster View Post
    Hi, Been lurking on this forum for a while and I'm finally fed up with my Pioneer D-1 and the lack of support from pioneer. Touchscreen wont stay in calibration and they want $200 to fix it. So to H3ll with it. I'm gonna try to build a truck PC.

    My system "plan" so far:
    MB - Intel 945GCLF2
    mem - 2 gb of kingston
    HD - 160 gb segate 2.5 sata
    Panasonic slot load DVD
    M2-ATX PS

    bybyte case
    eby701 screen

    XM usb adapter
    universal XM tuner
    HQCT FM or SIlabs FM (not sure yet HQCT is kinda spendy, Silabs kinda iffy)

    GPS - USGlobalSat BU-353
    Map monkey or iGuidance

    Frontend RR with DFX 4.0 skin <---awesome skin btw

    Thats all I'm going to start with, if I can get it working I'll add to it time and money permitting.

    The picture is kinda how I want it put together in my truck.
    Any recommendations, changes?

    Thanks TJ
    All looks good so far except your radio solution. If I were you, I would go with a Visteon HDZ300 Radio and buy Mitch's HD Radio cable http://www.rush2112.net/mkportal/mod...products_id=39. It has been proven time and time again that this is the 100% best radio solution for the car PC. It does so because the Visteon is made for the car and uses the cars antenna, the PC is simply taking in the sound through the line in, similar to the XM radio solution.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    48

    Visteon HD ??

    I looked at that HD radio but I guess I'm a little confused. Do I have to install that control head or can I control the radio with the PC. I assume thats what the rs 232 cable is for? sorry if this is a dumb question. I just dont want to buy stuff twice.

    Thanks TJ

    EDIT: Never mind I found the thread. sounds like HD is the ticket for AM/FM radio. My search skillz need work

  5. #5
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbrewster View Post
    I looked at that HD radio but I guess I'm a little confused. Do I have to install that control head or can I control the radio with the PC. I assume thats what the rs 232 cable is for? sorry if this is a dumb question. I just dont want to buy stuff twice.

    Thanks TJ

    EDIT: Never mind I found the thread. sounds like HD is the ticket for AM/FM radio. My search skillz need work
    Basically Mitch's cable replaces that ugly digital head, so you can control the HD Radio directly from the PC. Yes, this uses a serial port to connect it. Your questions arent dumb, your just making sure you know, nothing wrong with that.

    PS: LOL, mine have gotten a bit better!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norton, MA
    Posts
    119
    Looks like a pretty good plan so far. Do you already have the F650+ lower dash piece in your truck? Would love to see the work you do to it, seems like a great way to gain some usable space in these trucks. I have an 05 F350 so its a bit different on the dash but similar.

    I think there are a couple other PC installs in 99-04 super duties on this site, might take a little hunting but I know they are there and maybe give you some ideas. DFX 4.0 is definitely a sweet skin for sure, and the BU-353 should work great. I have the same antenna with Iguidance 4 in my truck, works good for me so far whenever I actually use it.
    2005 Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 6.0L SRW LWB

    Planning:
    [|||||||||-] 95%
    Parts Aquisition:
    [||||||----] 60%
    Install:
    [|||||||||-] 90%

    Finally getting Built

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    48
    Thanks for the replies. This isn't my truck just a picture for illustration. I have an 04 H-D F250. Already have the 650 lower dash, slot load DVD, HD radio, and a few other odds and ends.
    I'm still going to have a lots of room left in the space that's going to house the DVD player. What else could/should I put in this space?
    Any ideas on what to include in this install?
    Any way to interface a pioneer XM/XM traffic in this install?<--haven't searched yet, but will.

    Thanks TJ

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norton, MA
    Posts
    119
    I would think it would be a pretty good spot to put some extra gauges or some extra switches. Some pictures of some other trucks with the same lower panel mod /shrug maybe give ya some ideas.





    Can't really think of much else to put down there unless you were to maybe make the 2 sections (the one with the Air brake button and the one with the USB/dvd) even by reworking the panel with some ABS or some fiberglass. Then I guess you could put in a head unit, or maybe move your heater controls for a bigger screen, or maybe a CB radio or something. Just some thoughts,
    2005 Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 6.0L SRW LWB

    Planning:
    [|||||||||-] 95%
    Parts Aquisition:
    [||||||----] 60%
    Install:
    [|||||||||-] 90%

    Finally getting Built

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    48
    jdc753,
    I'm diggin that second photo. Think I'm gonna put the EGT and boost gauge down there. Keep the DVD player and 2 usb ports where the electronic shifter goes. But I'm still gonna have a lot of room left over for something, just don't know what yet. Maybe some of those switches, just have to find something to hook to them to make them work. I dont want to move anything in the dash. I want to make it look somewhat factory, plus my fiberglass skilz are non existent.

    TJ

  10. #10
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbrewster View Post
    jdc753,
    I'm diggin that second photo. Think I'm gonna put the EGT and boost gauge down there. Keep the DVD player and 2 usb ports where the electronic shifter goes. But I'm still gonna have a lot of room left over for something, just don't know what yet. Maybe some of those switches, just have to find something to hook to them to make them work. I dont want to move anything in the dash. I want to make it look somewhat factory, plus my fiberglass skilz are non existent.

    TJ
    Dont go over board with your dash, you dont want to fill it and make it look to busy. With it having wood grain it already is busy.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •