Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 2003 VY SS Holden Commodore Carputer

  1. #1
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16

    2003 VY SS Holden Commodore Carputer

    I finally got my car a month ago and I wanted to get a stereo installed. My cousin gave me the idea of a carputer and I though na, silly idea, that will never work. I was curious about that whole idea so I started researching. Then I came across this site and was enlightened. Now I'm so obsessed with the idea that it is the only thing I think about atm. I've been doing a bit of planning and now I would like to get some feedback and hear what you guys think about my plans.

    Here is some pictures of my car. Sorry if they don't turn out correctly, I'm not sure if i did it properly.





    If got sort of a list happening about what I need to buy and how much it will cost.

    7" touchscreen $325 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lilliput-7-EB...3286.m63.l1177

    Motherboard and processor $150 http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show...=mbINd945gclf2

    Power supply $50 (I think i still might need a startup/shutdown controller) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/120W-Pico-ATX...|39:1|240:1318

    Case $80 http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show...S1007_8_silver

    120GB Harddrive $60 http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show...ddSA120nb_sata

    USB CD/DVD drive $80 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...2=20&sid=34713

    GPS BU-353 $75 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GlobalSat-BU-...|39:1|240:1318

    Anything I missed? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Welcome aboard. Looks like you did the pictures just fine.

    You might look around at comments on that power supply -- it may be a little light. It looks like the equivalent of the M3-ATX, which I believe has been troublesome in some applications.

    With the case you're buying, you end up paying for a 300W power supply you can't use except for testing in the house. If you don't mind a little shop work, you could probably modify a "project box" from the Oz equivalent of Mouser, and get a tighter fit. Refer to the first few post in my worklog for a similar idea.

    You might spend less overall if you disassemble a 7-inch netbook PC (you can find them with 120GB drive and XP installed), add a touchscreen, and build it into the double-DIN area of your dash.

    One consideration, though, is that most netbooks come with only two or three USB ports, where the motherboard you've chosen has eight onboard USB ports. That means you may might not need a powered USB hub for your peripherals, so that's an advantage.

    You're off to a great start, Nosajs. You did your background research before asking questions, and you added pictures and links. That's what we like. Document everything -- we'll be watching.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  3. #3
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for the kind words rdholtz, you gave me some good ideas too.

    I wasn't too fond of that power supply anyway because it didn't have a startup/shutdown controller built in. I found a M2-ATX PSU like the one in you netbook on ebay for $75. Is 160watts enough power for this setup or how much do you think I'll need? Also I would like a way to run the Carputer without the car, like when I'm installing new programs and testing ect. Now would I be able to run it from the normal house power?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/M2-ATX-Car-Co...|39:1|240:1318

    I love the idea of building my own computer box and I found some project boxes i could modify here. http://search.dse.com.au/electronics/Project%20Box

    I had a look at your worklog and I like the computer you've shown on post 363. I looks like its even cheaper than any netbook and move powerful for its price. If I can find one here I might get that instead, or I might find one on ebay or something.

    Omg I forgot memory... Shame for me lol. 2GB DDR-II RAM $40 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=5&sid=29416

    And here is something I found to mount the touchscreen in. $33 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-VY-VZ-...|39:1|240:1318

  4. #4
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16
    I have come up with a very dodgy diagram that shows how I plan to set up my system.



    I have the PC in the boot and a 7" touchscreen mounted in the double din space in the dash where the stock stereo is atm. I still want to be able to put in DVDs/CDs so I thought that the drive could go in the centre console along with some extra USB ports between the two front seats.

  5. #5
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajs View Post
    Is 160watts enough power for this setup or how much do you think I'll need?
    It appears that the M2-ATX should be plenty. You're only pulling 8W max with the Atom 330 Intel board. But it's best to do a complete assessment; add up the power consumption of everything you'll power through that PSU, and make sure you have lots of margin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajs View Post
    I like the computer you've shown on post 363. I looks like its even cheaper than any netbook and move powerful for its price. If I can find one here I might get that instead, or I might find one on ebay or something.
    Well, we bought two; they're good little units. But there's no touchscreen built in, so they're not really cheaper than a netbook. And there's one downside to the netbooks: once you crack the case apart, the warranty is gone. When you buy discreet components, your warranties stay in effect.

    Nonetheless, buying a netbook gives you a touchscreen with 1024 x 600 resolution, where the Lilliputs and the like are still only 800 x 600.

    If you have a double-DIN space, take a look at Blk02si's cases. His original thread is here, and his new thread about the revised model is here. If you add the Intel board, the M2-ATX, and the hard drive in that case, you'll still have room to spare. Put the DVD unit and remote USB slots down below, and you have it all in your dash. Those cases have quality, flexibility and decent price; I like them so well that my next installation will probably use one.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  6. #6
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    If you have a double-DIN space, take a look at Blk02si's cases. His original thread is here, and his new thread about the revised model is here. If you add the Intel board, the M2-ATX, and the hard drive in that case, you'll still have room to spare. Put the DVD unit and remote USB slots down below, and you have it all in your dash. Those cases have quality, flexibility and decent price; I like them so well that my next installation will probably use one.
    Wow I never thought of that, it's a fantastic idea! Will save heaps of wiring through my car. I think I'll be able to make something like that fairly easily. Will I need ventilation holes and/or a fan to keep it cool or will its low energy usage combined will the properties of aluminum be enough even after hours of usage?

    I think I might be ready to start finalizing my plans and start ordering parts soon. Its just been a bit hard lately because we have major flooding atm. All the streets are under and there is half a metre of water under my house. I've been having lots of fun taking the tinnie around town though lol.

  7. #7
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajs View Post
    Wow I never thought of that, it's a fantastic idea! Will save heaps of wiring through my car. I think I'll be able to make something like that fairly easily. Will I need ventilation holes and/or a fan to keep it cool or will its low energy usage combined will the properties of aluminum be enough even after hours of usage?

    I think I might be ready to start finalizing my plans and start ordering parts soon. Its just been a bit hard lately because we have major flooding atm. All the streets are under and there is half a metre of water under my house. I've been having lots of fun taking the tinnie around town though lol.
    There's no back on the unit, so it's pretty open. I think I'd still like to add a small, quiet fan, although it may be unnecessary. I'd bet Blk02si would be happy to advise about his and his customers' experiences. I've never met him, but you can tell by his threads that he's very willing to answer questions.

    Now a question for you: is a tinnie a metal boat?

    I like your attitude -- other people are seeing half a metre of tough times, and you're seeing an opportunity for fun.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  8. #8
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    There's no back on the unit, so it's pretty open. I think I'd still like to add a small, quiet fan, although it may be unnecessary. I'd bet Blk02si would be happy to advise about his and his customers' experiences. I've never met him, but you can tell by his threads that he's very willing to answer questions.

    Now a question for you: is a tinnie a metal boat?

    I like your attitude -- other people are seeing half a metre of tough times, and you're seeing an opportunity for fun.
    Yeah I think I would like a fan as well, just for insurance. I'll talk to Blk02si though and see what he thinks.

    Yep a tinnie is a small metal boat perfect for going up creeks and in this case streets. Our tinnie is 13ft long with a 40hp outboard motor on the back. Haha thanks, we have just had to bring everything upstairs and relocate all our cars to higher ground so its not too bad. The waters gone up to 75cms atm, we still have electricity and water though so it isn't too bad.

    Hopefully the water will go away soon so i can start ordering parts!

  9. #9
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajs View Post
    Our tinnie is 13ft long with a 40hp outboard motor on the back.
    Hmmmm . . . 40 hp on a 13-foot boat. That ought to be plenty of power, even if the bottom is flat and the bow is square.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  10. #10
    Newbie Nosajs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ingham Australia
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    Hmmmm . . . 40 hp on a 13-foot boat. That ought to be plenty of power, even if the bottom is flat and the bow is square.
    Haha yeah it goes good XD. Most people have 25 on a boat that size, but why settle if you can go faster?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Holden VS Commodore Carputer Finished
    By XtremeX in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. carputer install: I dare you...
    By Cat Monkey in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
  3. help me. accord 2003 carputer questions
    By chicochu in forum Newbie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 08:15 AM
  4. A few observations in OS and why I'm now using Windows 2003...
    By Mastiff in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 10:11 AM
  5. Holden VL Commodore -> MP3IAN MkII
    By MP3IAN by Ian Gregory in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2002, 11:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •