Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 158

Thread: 1986 Fiero GT 6cyl [Work Log]

  1. #51
    Super Moderator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    JohnWPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,723
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for the tips, I will check into it. I know the 84' had all kinds of electrical problems, that the completely changed on the 85-88 models. I am not sure if this was one of the changes or not, but now I know to look for it. Thanks!
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

  2. #52
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas, United States
    Posts
    24
    I had an 86' GT, That car was Awesome. I got it for my 16th birthday and was the toast of my high school.

    Man I miss that car.

    The engine got recalled in 88'(Although, I had no issues with mine), I had it replaced for free, and sold it when I went into the army for I think $8k, enough for a healthy downpayment on a New Saab 900s.

    The Saab was fast, but couldn't handle nearly as well as the Fiero.

  3. #53
    Super Moderator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    JohnWPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,723
    Blog Entries
    1

    Thumbs up

    Ok, I have had a pretty good set back. The fuel pump was shot, so after dropping the tank and replacing it, I got in the car, and it fired right up!

    That was the good news. The bad news is there are 3 little men inside the engine with large sledge hammers banging away (very VERY large sledge hammers!).... The engine is shot

    The options were to
    - Buy a new crate engine for around $1,500 and install all the parts from my current engine on it.
    - Rebuild this one (600 for the kit, and $1500 to have the machine work done)
    - Put a V8 in it, requiring a fairly pricey motor and some modifications.

    I did not like any of these expensive options.. I posted in the Fiero.com forums asking for suggestions... and got the best response imaginable!

    A forum member sent me a PM telling me how he had purchased a crate engine from GM. Purchased the rebuild kit (Rings, Pistons, all bearings ect) and had it all done at a machine shop, and installed the engine in his car. He decided 6 months later, after putting 8,000 miles on it, to take it out and upgrade to a V8 with more power. And that he would sell me the V6, that was in his garage out of the elements and covered up.... for...... $300!

    I am on a small road trip next week to go pick it up in Jacksonville, Florida I had a hitch installed on the Lincoln yesterday at Pep Boys, (Was told NOT to tow anything with the Jag as it could fry the transmission) and am renting a U-Haul trailer for $20 for the day to go get it... 5 hours there and 5 hours back.

    One good thing came from all of this... I now have the chance to completely restore the engine compartment and engine components painting, new vacuum lines, hoses and all wiring ect... before putting it all back together.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

  4. #54
    Maximum Bitrate Injector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Posts
    525
    let me know if you need help, i have detailed diagrams of pretty much the whole car if you need them

  5. #55
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWPB View Post
    Ok, I have had a pretty good set back. The fuel pump was shot, so after dropping the tank and replacing it, I got in the car, and it fired right up!

    That was the good news. The bad news is there are 3 little men inside the engine with large sledge hammers banging away (very VERY large sledge hammers!).... The engine is shot

    The options were to
    - Buy a new crate engine for around $1,500 and install all the parts from my current engine on it.
    - Rebuild this one (600 for the kit, and $1500 to have the machine work done)
    - Put a V8 in it, requiring a fairly pricey motor and some modifications.

    I did not like any of these expensive options.. I posted in the Fiero.com forums asking for suggestions... and got the best response imaginable!

    A forum member sent me a PM telling me how he had purchased a crate engine from GM. Purchased the rebuild kit (Rings, Pistons, all bearings ect) and had it all done at a machine shop, and installed the engine in his car. He decided 6 months later, after putting 8,000 miles on it, to take it out and upgrade to a V8 with more power. And that he would sell me the V6, that was in his garage out of the elements and covered up.... for...... $300!

    I am on a small road trip next week to go pick it up in Jacksonville, Florida I had a hitch installed on the Lincoln yesterday at Pep Boys, (Was told NOT to tow anything with the Jag as it could fry the transmission) and am renting a U-Haul trailer for $20 for the day to go get it... 5 hours there and 5 hours back.

    One good thing came from all of this... I now have the chance to completely restore the engine compartment and engine components painting, new vacuum lines, hoses and all wiring ect... before putting it all back together.
    See destiny always works out. I guess you were ment to drive that car.

    Quote Originally Posted by Injector View Post
    let me know if you need help, i have detailed diagrams of pretty much the whole car if you need them
    You in FL? When you going to come to one of the Florida meets?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #56
    Maximum Bitrate Injector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post

    You in FL? When you going to come to one of the Florida meets?
    when they're not so far away from me, i live in rockledge.

    the current meet for June 28th is a good 183 miles from where i live

  7. #57
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Injector View Post
    when they're not so far away from me, i live in rockledge.

    the current meet for June 28th is a good 183 miles from where i live
    LOL, I live in MIAMI and i'm going, well, car pooling with thatslife. I cant go myself because Lee County cant gets its act together. They tell me I have a f#$kin ticket from 2005 and finally decided to remind me about it.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  8. #58
    Newbie CanuckMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    33
    Great news about the new motor! I was going to suggest the 3800SC upgrade (seems to be the best bang for the buck) but your solution is even better.

  9. #59
    Low Bitrate Xygar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Provo, Ut
    Posts
    71
    I've always thought the Fieros were pretty cool. I'm a bit jealous that you get to customize yours so thoroughly.

    I'm very interested in seeing how this project turns out (love the leather by the way), keep us updated!

  10. #60
    Super Moderator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    JohnWPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,723
    Blog Entries
    1
    You should check out the forums at Fiero.com then... Talk about customizing! I wish I had the money to do some of the stuff that many of them have done!

    Thinks are in a lull, just have lots of other stuff on my plate right now, and plan to get back to the car as soon as possible.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •