tiny update(still lengthy post though!!)
all the tail lamp boards are completed, i just need to finish painting the housings, and then add in the voltage regulators.
but in the mean time, i got bored with the tedious-ness of all the soldering for the tail lamps, and finished, and started a couple other projects:
first, was the led dome lights:
one of the boards after etching:
these use 4 Cree-brand plcc6 led's wired 2-per series with a 39 ohm resistor.
9v regulator wired up getting glued to heatsink(yes, i am missing the capacitors--decided i didn't need them for these):
gluing the boards into place, and showing off my rare " pc board holding tool" (only available at harbor freight!!)
the completed assembly right before i reinstalled the mirror:
and the 'rough' output pics. it was daytime, and my car is right next to the garage window, so some of both pics is slightly brighter:
and the other update-- i finally took care of my subs. the box i have been using has 2 chambers with about 0.25-0.30 cf each.. i had modeled the box over and over for the last couple years, and had figured out that a single sub really needed both chambers..
so i drilled some 4-4" holes in the center divider(being careful to sand the edges down to prevent 'chuffing') and hooked up only one of the 4 voice coils so my amp had a 4 ohm load. i left the other sub unconnected, so it is now just a passive radiator.
the subs have definitely changed-- they haven't changed overall output, but the freq range is much better. i am considering connecting a pot to the passive sub to try to tune it a little to get everything to work better, but am otherwise pretty happy with it.
and the last update:
i have received all the parts for my led reverse lamp project, and have started figuring out the heatsink capacity:
in a bad mistake, i thought it would be better to put both on a single piece of aluminum tubing. when they were correctly coupled to the tubing, they had a 5deg/min rise in temp... i really think i could have cooked a egg with it if i left it on longer...
this shot is just a tad over-exposed, but is overall pretty accurate on the amount of light that these put out:
with the help of some members over at hidplanet, my design has been revised to use 1 heatsink per led.
at the moment, i have started to drill some old computer heatsinks i had laying around though, in the process heated them up, and found that they don't get rid of the heat very fast without a cooling fan.
i do intend to use a cooling fan in the design, but the goal is to run the setup at around 75% capacity without a fan if it were to fail.. the area everything is going is mostly open, so water/dirt entry is possible, and i am expecting the fans to fail eventually...
that's all for now!