and finally installed:
^a update on that-- the housings are now crystal clear--it proably just was the oils burning off.
and another couple updates:
led reverse lights(link only because i need to stop keeping 3 threads on the same topic):
so a little over a month later, i have finally figured these out enough to continue working on them.
my biggest problem was tinting the lenses-- i tried niteshading them, but it either came out really splotchy, or was way to dark for even the brightest of led's--my xp-g flashlight on the 40-50 lumen setting was perfectly tolerable shining through the lenses--it should have at least partially blinded me..
i tried the vinyl approach to tint the lenses, but that ended up in utter fail-- i got one lens to lay down correctly, the other lenses had all sorts of bubbles, and wrinkles. and at $50 a try, it was not worth trying again..
so last week, i came up with a hair-brained solution using some spare lenses i had-- window tint film.
after briefly trying out some 20% film(sandwiched between the housing and the lens), i am really happy with the results!!(only the large circle is tinted in this pic):
with led boards:
so today, i epoxied everything in place, and hot-glued the back of the pcb's to prevent corrosion..
and just so everyone doesn't think i am perfect after getting everything all done, i fired up each array only to find that one of the series strings wasn't lighting:
after blindly yanking off the hot glue that i just put on, i found the problem-- a bad solder joint:
after resoldering, and testing, all was well:
so nearly 1-1/2 years in the making, i am finally nearing the point of installing them onto the car...
assuming i am motivated enough tomorrow, i will build the 2 'driver' assemblies-- 3-12v sharp vregs in a aluminum enclosure that is currently planned to be mounted either behind the tails, or in the trunk..
and finally installed:
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.
Very nice job with the LED's man! Mad props! Got me wanting to do the same with my eclipse....
Awesome work soundman. I could only dream having your skills. Lol even though it took you 1 1/2 yrs to do it. It was really worth the time the fact that it's a one of a kind item.
thanks, though it started as a duplicate of a one-off item
bwracing00 on club3g.com originally came up the with the skyline tail idea a couple years ago(my first pic of his setup from MOD is dated 9-25-09), i just added my own ideas with the lighting..
all this stuff really isn't that bad--time consuming, but much of it uses much of the same basic body/fab work that any other plastic project uses(turbocad did a excellent writeup in the fab section on building your own bezel)-- whatever you want to do, i can almost guarantee that there is a tutorial on how to get the desired effect--maybe not to do the exact idea you have, but always to do parts of it..
i do this stuff for the challenge because i have no idea what i am doing at the start of it, and want to learn. and there is no better way to learn then to build it.
come on!! someone with a eclipse needs to out-do me, so i have a reason to do it again!! (hint-- it would be only slightly more work to create led tails that use the entire real estate of the housings-- similar to mercedes tails.)
yet another update-- reverse lamps and license plate light are done. so the rear of the car is 97% complete. the last thing i want to play with is a back-lighted mitsubishi logo.
night shots to come later..
and now some night shots:
that was done, just forgot to post it here(i keep a worklog @ club3g, here, and hidplanet, it is hard to remember which one i updated sometimes):