- Ive been searching, researching, and exploring these forums and peoples projects in hope of one day building my own car pc. Now that day has come, i am embarking on this project.
- I have a 2002 VW GTI MKIV, and i already have a sound system so hooking up the PC audio shouldn't be to difficult.
- Step1: Buy and Build Car PC:
- Case : VoomPC-2 Mobile Enclosure
- Mobo : Intel D945GCLF2 Mini-ITX ATOM dual-core
- PSU : M2-ATX Intelligent Power Supply
- RAM : 1gb DDRII Corsair 667mhz
- HDD : 160gb WD 2.5" 5400rpm
- LCD : VM7000 7" Touchscreen
- FrnEnd: Centrafuse Nav.
- Going to install Rubber (or Neoprene) throughout to help with shock-resistance.
- Step2: Buy and Install Accessories:
- Scantool OBDLink CI - [Scantool OBDLink CI]
- Weatherproof GPS adapter - [GPS Adapter]
- Roll-up Keyboard - [Flex-Keyboard]
- Plan of Attack
- Step1: Mount and Wiring Carputer:
- I have several mounting ideas for the car PC
- Mount the PC in the Rear Cabinet that houses the CD-Changer(non existent).
- Mount the PC in the glove compartment.
- Mount the PC under the glove Compartment.
- Mount on back of Rear seat, next to amp.
- Here is a wiring Diagram i drew up:
- Step2: LCD Mount:
- Create a Custom bezel or (just buy one)
- I want to create this custom ARM contraption that allows the driver to pull the LCD out of the Double Din and pull it up and angle it towards him.
- Will post a diagram later on.
- Wire Power and Inputs for the monitor
- Step3: Accesories and Switches:
- Wire GPS Reciever to outside of the car( or ontop of the Dash)
- Wire in OBDII Link.
- (Maybe) Mount switch in blank key panel for manual Comp control.
- (Maybe) Construct Multimedia Controller(Play, Pause, Next, Back, and Volume) and mount in easy access position.