I haven't posted in a bit, mainly because I've been hard at work on my project! I'm exhausted! I've been working on installing all the audio into the car. I've only ever installed speakers in my old car, and I did that with help, so this is a huge and scary undertaking for me.
I started by ripping apart my rear deck. It was a little ridiculous- 8 panels (some easy, some hard) had to come off before I could actually pull out the rear deck to access the 6x9 speakers. I removed the old speakers (which are insanely light) and put in my polk 6x9's after putting some foam gasket tape on which I purchased at parts-express. I should have bought adapters for them so that I could remount in the original holes, but I didn't know I'd need them till I dug in, so I made do with what I had. I couldn't put new screws in because it was too close to the rear windshield to get a drill in. Instead, I put a zip tie through each hole- from the underside through the original hole and up through the speaker bracket, and back down through the same hole. It was a bit crude, but it honestly feels held down about 90% of using screws, and cost me nothing (vs 10+ for adapters).
I spent HOURS trying to get the 4AWG power wire through the firewall, and figure out where was best/easiest. I only had a small amount of it (got it free as an employee of CC as we went under) so I decided not to go over to the passenger side, though it might have been easier to go through. I ended up having to cut a zip tie off a gasket all the way at the firewall and run it through the gasket with the wiring for the main fuse box. I straightened a coat hanger and punched it though the other side of the gasket, and pulled the wire through- it sounds straight forward and easy, but it all took forever due to the limited mobility on both sides (came through above pedals on driver side, behind motor/airbox/etc engine side).
Then I tackled the front. I also spent a crazy amount of time running heavy speaker wire through the door jamb gasket. I had to use the coat hanger method again, but it is soooo hard to push it down the gasket tube, and just as hard when it is 2x larger pulling the speaker wire back through. There was a hole on both sides to go through. It did eventually work, but I was very frustrated/tired by that time.
I pulled off each door panel, and found the front speakers were RIVETED to the door. I had to drill out the rivets, and then put my speakers on the doors. The rivets were a pain because they mainly spun, and took a quite a bit of pressure/angle changes to get them out. Once again, adapters would have been nice, but I put self-drilling screws through and it worked out great to mount the speakers. I wouldn't buy the adapters for the front but would definitely get them for the back, if I had a mulligan of course.
I glued the crossovers to the doors. The panels still went on ok, but there was nowhere "good" to put them, and I didn't want to glue them to the interior panel because it would make taking it on and off a major pain. I think there might be a little pressure on them but it is hard to tell.
Right now all my panels are off but the doors. I'll have to take them off again to fix up some wiring, but I needed to move the car out of the garage for the night for someone else to use it. I have speaker wire for each speaker running to the location for the amp (under the driver seat) and the power wire headed there too.
Other news, I am able to fit the tweeter into the door sails afterall! I've spent some time sanding down PVC for pods for them, but after a 2nd check with a more fabrication oriented mindset, I found that I could cut all the tabs out from the old tweeter mount and there was JUST enough room for the new one. It literally touches on each side, but it fits. That made life much easier and keeps the stock look! Now if only the touch screen would be that easy.
I need to wire a ground for the amp, and I need to tap into the amp remote wire behind the radio. Then I'll be able to test everything out! I'm not going to install the computer for a little while yet, because it isn't ready. But I wanted to get the audio in so it wouldn't be a 5 day install
I'm not good at this car installation and fabrication stuff, but I'm very happy so far. Pics of the install to come to spice this post up...