Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Getting rid of keys in my '02 Volvo S60

  1. #21
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA
    Posts
    914
    Simplex, it comes down to this: I already have a system in place in my car which allows me to communicate with it from the outside, and I've already put in all the hard work to make that happen. It's not going to turn itself on very often and at the end of the day, it's convenient and cool not to have keys. A car pc is entirely unnecessary and is extremely complicated to do the same task that a fancy head unit does. James Bond/Knightrider is EXACTLY what I'm going for with this.

    txspazz, generally, I am the only person who uses my car, however the keys will still work perfectly fine.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  2. #22
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by txspazz View Post
    . . . I guess I just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
    . . . A car pc is entirely unnecessary and is extremely complicated to do the same task that a fancy head unit does.
    None of this stuff we do is necessary. None of it even makes sense for the vast majority of the population. But it's interesting, it's challenging, and it keeps us safely at home in the workshop making magic happen. While I don't always understand why some of the builders so what they do, I still applaud, and encourage, and help when I can. Sometimes the ideas they have lead me to a new idea for my installation.

    Some dreamers just dream. Some talk about their dreams. A few actually create what they dream, and I love to watch dreams become reality.

    I don't necessarily want to get rid of my keys, but I sure hope you can, Paul. I like where this is headed, and some of what you do will guide what I do. It's fascinating stuff . . . and it's providing useful information.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  3. #23
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,127
    Out of curiosity, why don't you use active in parallel to passive RFID? That's what cars like the Toyota Camry do for their keyless proximity system. Then you don't have to have something injected in your skin to use your car, you just need a tiny fob in your pocket and you can remove the keyholes entirely since passive would take over should say... the battery in the fob die (like the Totyota system works).
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  4. #24
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why don't you use active in parallel to passive RFID? That's what cars like the Toyota Camry do for their keyless proximity system. Then you don't have to have something injected in your skin to use your car, you just need a tiny fob in your pocket and you can remove the keyholes entirely since passive would take over should say... the battery in the fob die (like the Totyota system works).
    I actually want the tag injected in my hand haha. Having to carry a device is the same as having to carry keys. The goal is to take carrying a device out of the picture completely.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  5. #25
    Constant Bitrate simplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    151
    Yes, the implant makes more sense, than an other thing (besides the keys) to lose

    Two questions: Ok, the car unlocks if you touch the handle (or move your hand close to it)
    But when/how should it lock itself? Also, what is the range of the RFID reader you using?
    Check my worklog:
    Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

    Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

    "Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
    because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

  6. #26
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    111
    Cool ideas...just alot to go wrong, and if it can go wrong murphy's law dictates it will go wrong when you need it the most. But if you can get it streamlined and reliable more power to you!!

  7. #27
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    Two questions: Ok, the car unlocks if you touch the handle (or move your hand close to it)
    But when/how should it lock itself? Also, what is the range of the RFID reader you using?
    That question had been lingering for a while but the answer made itself pretty obvious today... when the car is off, if any door is opened and closed, the car will lock after 30 seconds. My car has the doors that still let you open them from the inside even when they're locked.

    Quote Originally Posted by figfry View Post
    Cool ideas...just alot to go wrong, and if it can go wrong murphy's law dictates it will go wrong when you need it the most. But if you can get it streamlined and reliable more power to you!!
    My biggest worry is the USB cable running into the door. As long as nothing physical goes wrong, though, the software will just have a lot of try...catches for quick error recovery.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  8. #28
    Constant Bitrate simplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
    My biggest worry is the USB cable running into the door. As long as nothing physical goes wrong, though, the software will just have a lot of try...catches for quick error recovery.
    That's why I suggested a simple RFID sensor instead of an USB one. You can still wire
    it to Fusion Brain, if you like to be noted of the door open event, or you can just wire it to
    the central locking system (simple, you can do it in-door).

    As you only use it to open the door, and other simple events, it's enough for your goals,
    and it's easier to wire trough the original door connector (well, I'm not very familiar with
    volvo, can you post some pics about the door-body connection?), and also easier to repair.

    Hm, got another idea from this, not necessary in our case, but interesting:
    The computer identifies the user from the RFID tag, and fine tune the carputer & car settings,
    for example, adjusts the seats and the steering wheel, caches favorite music, etc.
    I would do this, but I would have to use servos for the seat, and as I'm the only one who
    uses the car in 99% of the time, it would be a waste of time. (and the steering is not
    adjustable in my car anyway)
    Check my worklog:
    Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

    Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

    "Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
    because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

  9. #29
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    That's why I suggested a simple RFID sensor instead of an USB one. You can still wire
    it to Fusion Brain, if you like to be noted of the door open event, or you can just wire it to
    the central locking system (simple, you can do it in-door).

    As you only use it to open the door, and other simple events, it's enough for your goals,
    and it's easier to wire trough the original door connector (well, I'm not very familiar with
    volvo, can you post some pics about the door-body connection?), and also easier to repair.
    Well, the USB reader is already on it's way. I'm going to just use a well insulated usb cable, hot glue the connection with the rfid reader and put heat shrink around it. The stock volvo door connectors are actually 100% impossible to feed wires through as it is a connector on the door side, not just a hole, so I already drilled a second hole for the speakers.


    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    Hm, got another idea from this, not necessary in our case, but interesting:
    The computer identifies the user from the RFID tag, and fine tune the carputer & car settings,
    for example, adjusts the seats and the steering wheel, caches favorite music, etc.
    I would do this, but I would have to use servos for the seat, and as I'm the only one who
    uses the car in 99% of the time, it would be a waste of time. (and the steering is not
    adjustable in my car anyway)
    I'm in the same situation as you there, other people use my car, but very rarely, so this would be a waste to implement.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  10. #30
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    238
    It's gonna be interesting to see your installation and Kev000's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2005 Volvo S60 1,3 GHz 120 Kw
    By cala in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
  2. 02 Volvo S60 install
    By Baj in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
  3. RCA Jack for 2002 Volvo S60
    By PaulF in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
  4. Volvo S60 question for jcdillin, JC-S60 et al.
    By Baj in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
  5. Indexing music in 1.0.9.8 Failed
    By hovalistic in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •