so i'm back finally workin on this project again... here are the updates:
- newer version of google earth and i've started using XPort, not sure which fixed it, but earth no longer crashes with the globalsat gps
- this weekend mounted the HP Quickdock and ran cables, forgot to take pictures of the mount, but will do when i finish some wiring.
- worked on cradle for the HP laptop:
it works well, you pull the dock cable out a bit and connect the laptop, slide the laptop down into the foam, and then use the little velcro strap to lock it down.... the velcro is just an extra measure for crazy offroading, the foam actually holds it very tight. i used a $5 camping sleeping mat from walmart for the foam.
- changed rear cig lighter that is powering the laptop/dock/screen to be only on with vehicle, was always on. also wired this off my "accessory override" switch... basically i have every accessory (GPS, iPOD, CB, Laptop/Dock/Screen, and oneday HAM and Cameras) all pulling from power that is only on with the vehicle, but i have one button that overrides that and leaves them on all the time. this is good for offroad trips where you stop lots of times to see stuff, take pics, eat lunch, etc... i can leave the override switch on in those cases and everything doesn't get reset every time i stop... but the rest of the time things will turn of automatically.
- also wired a momentary switch for the laptop power (will worry about an automatic turn on later, and it will turn off when DC power dissapears just by using windows shutdown rules) and re-did my front switch panel to have more switches in anticipation of some unrelated accessories.