Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 243

Thread: Project λ (Lambda) AKA Tech Van: 1994 Chevrolet G20 Conversion Van/56K WARNING!

  1. #41
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141
    I found out Wednesday that the front speakers were still stock... I promptly resolved that issue by turning up the low-end on my HU and setting the fader all the way to the front and blasting "Bass, I Love You" by Bassotronics at full blast. Now they just crackle. So I am left with the two back speakers and I'm still waiting to take my Audiobahn components out of the Tercel and install them along with my subs/amp (Whenever Saul gets around to building the boxes for me).

    I also got the latch to my glove box fixed today. YAY! All it took was some gasket maker ($3 at AutoZone), some Teflon tape (Usually used on screws and pipe threads), a pair of needle-nose pliers, and about 15 minutes to figure out how to tear that part of the console apart.

    I have my ACT test tomorrow, so afterwards I may try to start on the basis for the screen bezel. I don't really know if that headrest part ZX1Cruzer was talking about will be in or not, but I'm gonna try to start anyway. I just need some more fiberglass mat, hardener and fiberglass jelly.
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  2. #42
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by freeflashstuff View Post
    I found out Wednesday that the front speakers were still stock... I promptly resolved that issue by turning up the low-end on my HU and setting the fader all the way to the front and blasting "Bass, I Love You" by Bassotronics at full blast. Now they just crackle. So I am left with the two back speakers and I'm still waiting to take my Audiobahn components out of the Tercel and install them along with my subs/amp (Whenever Saul gets around to building the boxes for me).

    I also got the latch to my glove box fixed today. YAY! All it took was some gasket maker ($3 at AutoZone), some Teflon tape (Usually used on screws and pipe threads), a pair of needle-nose pliers, and about 15 minutes to figure out how to tear that part of the console apart.

    I have my ACT test tomorrow, so afterwards I may try to start on the basis for the screen bezel. I don't really know if that headrest part ZX1Cruzer was talking about will be in or not, but I'm gonna try to start anyway. I just need some more fiberglass mat, hardener and fiberglass jelly.
    OMFG, I am so sorry I forgot all about it.... You should have kept messaging me... All last week I had major projects going on at my job and in the middle I got sick (damn cr@ppy heart again). I will most def send it this monday, over night express shipping. i advise you to message me, infact I am going to PM you my phone number so you can text message me, I check that on a 10 minute bases.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  3. #43
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141
    It's ok. I've been busy a lot lately, what with school coming to a close and all. I took the ACT today, I think I did fairly well. Hopefully I can get the speakers torn out of the Tercel and put into the van today and put the alarm in next weekend or so.

    If anyone has tips on building a custom subwoofer enclosure, I would really appreciate it.
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  4. #44
    Newbie merkj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    14
    I have never built one myself, but have looked into it. Get some silicone caulking for the inside edges to help seal the seams. Also want to get some sort of gasket to go between the speaker and the box to seal that seam as well. There is a rope like caulking you get get in the weatherstripping section of most hardware stores that work good for that gasket. Both products should be really cheap.

    As for the box itself, just make sure that it has the right internal dimensions. Not sure if you are planning on building an MDF box or if you are building a fiberglass enclosure.

  5. #45
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by merkj View Post
    I have never built one myself, but have looked into it. Get some silicone caulking for the inside edges to help seal the seams. Also want to get some sort of gasket to go between the speaker and the box to seal that seam as well. There is a rope like caulking you get get in the weatherstripping section of most hardware stores that work good for that gasket. Both products should be really cheap.

    As for the box itself, just make sure that it has the right internal dimensions. Not sure if you are planning on building an MDF box or if you are building a fiberglass enclosure.
    Cool. Thanks.
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  6. #46
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141

    Engine bay and Component Midwoofer/Tweeter Install

    Engine Bay



    These last two put everything into perspective as to how close the engine is to the stereo and "future screen area." It's scary how close they'll be. It's really scary how well this stuff is insulated.



    Now I just need to fix the rubber weatherstripping around there, since there is some hot air that comes through the bottom now...

    Next weekend I'm gonna probably go to Hobbs to the scrapyard and see if they have a spare glovebox I can tear up.

    Church in 7 hours. I'm out!
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  7. #47
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141

    Lightbulb Transmission Leaks and (somewhat) Bright Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by freeflashstuff View Post
    Now I just need to fix the rubber weatherstripping around there, since there is some hot air that comes through the bottom now...
    I forced myself to fix that last night because we had a big thunderstorm coming our way and I didn't want water getting into anything. While I was doing that, I realized my transmission has a MASSIVE leak in it... Here's hoping that some stop leak will fix that.

    I was sitting in class today and I realized something I could do to simplify my screen bezel fabrication. Walmart (and other similar stores and hardware stores) sell window insulating plastic that can be shrunk with a hair dryer. (LINK) I can use that as a basis for my fiberglassing (jelly or otherwise). It would simplify things cause I could shrink the plastic to fit the area and go to town with the fiberglassing. I would just have to do without a glove box for a while. I gotta go get some stop leak, so I'll probably pick up some extra fiberglass jelly/hardener and fiberglass mat along with that and the plastic weatherproofing stuff (whatever the it's called).
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  8. #48
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141
    I got the transmission leak fixed! I put some Lucas Transmission stop-leak in it and drove around, and all is well (*knock on wood*) I ordered a subwoofer box and some KnuKonceptz power cable to go with my amp install kit I used almost all the cable out of to upgrade the alternator on the Tercel... I got the 4 AWG Kolossus Flecks cable, because it is so awesome... I gotta get a battery terminal and some more fiberglass stuff here pretty soon. I gotta see how much money is left after I go get gas. I ran completely out yesterday. I coasted down this (it's a Google Street View Map) hill into the Walmart gas station with no power steering and no brake booster (the engine died). I barely made it! I put $10 in because I still have to have money for lunch the rest of the week, but I got an emergency PC repair call last night and made $40, so I'm going to go get gas with that.
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

  9. #49
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,553
    I sent out the Bezel piece. The text actually reminded me. I will say that the engine being that way is so scary to me..... I mean your literally sitting right next to it!

    PS: if anything, like wires, is going to be running along the engine, i would wrap the wires in heat shield tape or split loom.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #50
    FLAC freeflashstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Socorro, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    I sent out the Bezel piece. The text actually reminded me. I will say that the engine being that way is so scary to me..... I mean your literally sitting right next to it!
    It's ridiculous, right? It crazy how not hot it is with the engine being right there. There's like 3 inches of fiberglass insulation under that bulb-looking thing to keep from that, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    PS: if anything, like wires, is going to be running along the engine, i would wrap the wires in heat shield tape or split loom.
    Like this stuff?


    State testing has been going on all this week, today was the last day. I'm SO glad that its all over. But now I have a -ton of homework from my missed classes to make up. It hardly seems fair... But I should be able to squeeze in some fabrication time between installing my subwoofers/amplifier and replacing burnt out light bulbs so I don't get a ticket.
    I have bad luck with vehicles...

Similar Threads

  1. bluetooth woes
    By gentoocar in forum Linux
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
  2. Virtual Earth cache builder? Or even gps simulator to make it cache?
    By thepunkerguy in forum DigitalMods (Scripts / API)
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
  3. pc reboot on sd startup
    By duanes7 in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. Holux GPS Trouble
    By mangus580 in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
  5. Indexing music in 1.0.9.8 Failed
    By hovalistic in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •