The Fiber Glass is Finally Flying Again
Well, I think I have waited the prescribed 2 years for the fiberglass to cure....:rolleyes: So guess I better get back at it and get it finished. I hate reading work logs that are left half finished and abandoned, I don't want to be one of those guys. The problem is the console is basically functional, that was the mistake..... installing it like that, "it works, whats the problem?"
So it's out of the truck, and here is were I went from there:
I decided not to cut it apart to lower it 2", huge job obviously and I found a "middle ground" solution. I decided to just flush the console bucket which would solve the issue of appearance and lower everything about 1". I will need a flat 1" wide trim molding to stick over the seam where the console meets the bucket to bridge the gap.
I also flushed the drink holder and here is the end result:
I took a belt sander with 50 grit and knocked down the highs, I added a bit of glass to a couple of problem areas and sanded once more. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the surface of it considering this is the bare FG, I haven't added any filler yet.
I decided to add a guide coat to it and run the long board over it just to see how much filling I had to do and it doesn't look too bad to me. The rear section is a different story, it will take some work to straighten out.
I then glassed the switch bucket and left to cure. I don't know if it will work out the way I want but I guess we'll see, I have other options if it doesn't. The resin is very old (I bought it right at the end of my work on this 2 years ago) and I'm having trouble getting it to cure so I may have to start over on this but its a small stand-alone component anyway.
Foiled and waxed:
More to come, thanks for looking!