Finally Past The F\G stage
Only got a few hours this weekend unfortunately to play in the garage but here is the progress:
Glassed in the switch box.... :
and finished sanding the glass:
Got everything out to start filling:
Got a quick coat on the rear tray, took the cheese grater to it, added a little bit more filler and gave it a quick sand. That was it. A little more work on this one then the main console which is in much better shape surface wise so it should go fairly quickly.
One evening this past week I made the decision the amps are not going to hang on the side of the sub box as I will not be using the 2 Infinity amps currently in play. Their replacements are quite different. So instead I decided to take the space that was originally allocated for them and cut in some windows to show the sub working. I little bit "tuner-ish", I know, but I will try to finish it off tastefully.
I recessed the window into the MDF from the inside.
When I was done, I just threw some LED's into it loose to get some ideas.
I'm not sure what will get done this week coming up, it's going to be a very busy week & weekend.
Could The End be in Sight for the Console???
Berber, thanks for the update, an Ipad sounds like a great option, no hacking up the dash of the Benz.
I might actually finish this console in this decade. I had some free time so I am putting a push on the console to get it finished and installed.
The console is straight but will need one last shot of primer to take the marks out and to double check the surface before paint. That has to wait until everything else is done. It's much easier to work on everything when you don't have to worry about putting a few marks in it.
So time to create hardware mounts so all of the components are not just "thrown in the box" this time.
I decide to take a "module" approach similar to adding expansion cards to a tower PC. Easy to add and easy to remove if needs change.
Here they are:
Left to right: Power Board - Sound - Hubs - Sirius
Here the boards are installed in the console, each is easily removed via friction fit, or 1-2 screws:
And now the with CB installed, not a lot of room to spare. The H701 controller is not there but it is a fraction of the size of the CB so no issue for space.
The area under the storage bucket will house all power supply components including the fuse panel. The DVD & a side storage pocket will be in there too. Again the space is well used but not so tight as to restrict ventilation:
Here it is with all of the pieces installed, still OK for ventilation:
This is how I handled the switch panel due to the bright red LED tips on the 6 switches; I added a smoked, spring loaded flip up cover to mute the light and keep dirt out.
Tweaking the leading edge of the console took a lot of time to get it matched to the dash contour. It does fit perfect to the dash though.
I also added a dbl switch, one is on-off the other is momentary, this will be perfect for PC valet & reset.
Here is everything assembled on the bench. Next up will be mocking up the whole assembly in the truck and figuring out how I am going to finish off the exposed sides of the sub box:
Thanks for looking!!