Project segment 4 & 5 - Console & Amp Rack Construction
The project is moving forward quite well, I thought I should update on my progress.
I have revised my original plan of mounting the amps behind the rear seat. This change was mainly caused by the fact that I could not get the required air space for the sub box to fit in a front seat console plus leave room for the carputer, etc.
So the board held an emergency meeting and all of the members (I) decided the console would get extended back to the rear seat. That opened up new possibilites for amp mounting and left me with the factory storage space behind the back seat which is great. The rear middle seat is seldom used but could still be used in a pinch. The persons legs would have to swing left or right.
I did not want to create an MDF box for the console, I wanted to do a console primarily from fiberglass so a 1x1 pine frame/ fabric skeleton fit the bill.
I did want the deep solid sound of an MDF box for the sub woofer though as well as the ability to rebuild the sub box to accommodate a different driver so a hybrid design of both a MDF sub box inside a Fiberglass console seemed to make sense.
I have not seen any examples to other people combining the 2 design/build techniques so I really have no way of knowing whether I can achieve a great look & sound from it but I guess that's what the challenge will be.
The pine 1x1 structure for the front section of the console
The separate Sub Box built from 3/4" MDF housing a 12" RD Sonance driver (this is a very good SQ sub but can still make your head hurt). I achieved approx. 1.5 ft of unloaded air space in this box which should be perfect. Unfortunately the box had to widen by 1.5" at the back in order to accommodate the 12" sub. This will present clearance problems as you will see later for the amps.
Here is the sub box integrated into the console. It is not attached in any way and only has a fraction of an inch clearance on each side of the console frame.
Amp clearance for the 2 main amps is very tight with relation to the front seats. They had to be mounted "randomly" on an angle to fit so I will have to work with that "theme" as I finish it off. The 2 smaller amps and processor will be buried.
The rear of the console will tie into the under rear seat compartment.
Under the rear seat will house a 1500watt inverter and all of the distribution blocks & heavy Gage wiring. Both of the large amps will have their power connections pointed towards the rear and all low level inputs pointed towards the front into the console. This should help minimize noise.
That's it for now. I am currently working on flushing the distro blocks into the panel under the rear seat then I will go back to working on the main console.
Filling/ Sanding Underseat Compartment
Well. Not as interesting or as much fun as framing but it has to be done. I cracked open the gallon of Rage Gold and got to it.
I spent last evening finishing up the trim panel to flush the distro blocks and filling/sanding the face of the underseat compartment. I had an issue with the top portion of the opening for the power invertor so I removed it and I will deal with it later. Maybe it should be open for airflow anyways.
The one small ground block on the left needs to be raised and the panel needs to be scuffed for paint plus there is a couple of low spots on the face that could use a little more attention but other than that, it's ready for a high build primer & paint. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend any more time improving the "flush" look of the blocks. I tried a round-over with the router and didn't like the look of that so.... we'll see.
Thanks for looking.
Rear Under Seat Comparment Finished
Well, I basically have the area under the rear seat finished, just a few components to move once the console is finished and a bit of trimming out later. Here is how I finished it:
After filling and sanding I shot primer at it and painted it. For now, I primed it with a gun and real high build primer but I just used a rattle can of interior paint I had left around the garage. When everything is done and I have decided on the color scheme, I want to base + clear everything. Some of it may wind up vinyl, I don't know until I see everything done.
So I layed out the distro blocks and started the 1 Gage wiring first
I used a piece of copper pipe to create a junction block for the 1 Gage ground
I also double checked the fit of the inverter. The face cracked from lack of support while detached from the seat but I need to make a trim bezel to go around the invertor anyways so no point in fixing it.
I started to add the 4 Gage wiring:
I had to route some channels in the underside of the trim plate to accommodate some of the wires. These areas will get caught on the final paint.
Here is the rack installed back in the truck. The silver box under the distro blocks is the processor which will wind up being removed along with alot of the wires you see out on the floor. This stuff will end up in the console eventually.
Most of these wires will be removed and any left will be hidden in the console as it will come Right back and make contact with this rack. Those holes you see in the front will end up being hidden as well behind the console.
Here is the trim plate installed. I will fab something up to connect the seat bottom fabric to the trim panel to close the gap where you can see the wires.
This block has a voltage readout and 4 glass fuses lit up. VERY BRIGHT. But easy to fix, if it's bothering me at night, I can just flip the seat base down. An alarm will sound if any of the 4 fuses fail.
Here it is with the seat base down. Again those 2 sets of holes for wiring will be hidden in the console when it gets installed.
While repainting everything, I will probably paint the seat base floor mounts grey to match.
So I am now ready to finish the console :dance: