I had just over 1/2 a gallon of resin left and was not comfortable that the console was 100% solid enough to with stand my day to day abuse. So I added 2 more layers of 1.5oz chop mat. At the same time I used it to do some leveling of the surfaces and improved on my corners. I think I will have an easier time now blocking it out.
So that's 8 layers and almost 3 gallons of resin. Next I need to test fit it into the truck again and figure out what alterations need to happen from there. It will likely be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it.
Here's a couple of pics (I was told posts without pics are worthless...)
Looking forward to see it finished. Very nice..:clap2:
philg, a little off topic, but where in ontario are you from? By the way, if i had the balls I'd do the same with my truck. I guess i'd also need to free up alot more time!
I'm in Peterborough (NE of Toronto). Yes this definitely is a time eater but I'm not one to sit in front of the TV much, I always have to be doing something so I guess this is it! I wish I was stronger on the software side of this hobby, I love some of the stuff I see created like CF skins, plugins etc. but have no clue. I guess I should find someone to trade of some of my fabrication and install time for their programming time. lol.
Originally Posted by thunderbay
Originally Posted by treetop777
It's moving a little slowweer right now with the below freezing temps :rant: I got lucky in November though, I scored a few extra "warm" days that are a bonus this time of the year in my area!
Newpctech, thank you.
The head unit you see is the controller for the Alpine processor, not a traditional head unit. I don't think I could actually ditch it because it controls all of the sound shaping for the processor.
There is a PCB being developed by a member here on MP3 that will control the processor from the PC but from what I have read, only basic functions like vol, bal, source select, etc will be available.
So I could bury it under the seat or something but I think I will leave it exposed and accessible. I have a brand new one with a blue display to use for the final install in the console so it should look pretty good when I am done.
Test Fitting The Console
Finally, I had an opportunity to test fit the console. After knocking down the exterior of it a bit first and then a bit of minor sanding inside to make the sub box slide in, it fits.
I will try to locate a reverse cove molding to connect it to the dash. Not a bad fit though considering no body fill has been used yet.
That is one long console.
And, as planned the change tray/ drink holder still opens.
So now I need to plan out the installation of all of the accessories before cutting into it then start to add tabs, mounts etc to hold each piece. I also have to start planning how to detail the amp mount location.
I think I smell some more resin coming soon...
Thanks guys, I should have another update by tonight or tommorrow.