Well, the slot did not come out as hoped for. When I pulled the drive out, it was a lot tighter than expected, and first off I broke the upper portion of the slot, where it was very thin, right off. I wasn't to worried about it, I was going to make a new top part of the slot out of some scrap aluminum. It is pretty unlikely that you will even be able to see the tip of the slot, this is going to be right up to the edge of the dash, and it overhangs the radio bezel by probably close to half an inch.
I put the drive in w/ none of the stuff covering it up anymore, and I really didn't like how the slot was coming. It needs a felt back like the factory trim plate, that makes it look a lot better. So, on to plan b, I cut the stock trim plate in half and wrapped the actual drive I was going to use in foil. I put the trim piece on that with just small dabs of hot glue. I started modifying the work I had already done to fit the slot portion of the face and flush it in with rest of the bezel. I had to file away a good portion of the epoxy that was there, and in the process I broke it away from the polycarbonate piece. Turns out I didn't have a good bond, and it is fortunate I ran into these problems or it would probably have cracked down the road and really ****ed me off.
I ended up re-doing this with my good drive-- hopefully I don't ruin it. Bellow in the pics you will see what I am shooting for this time. hopefully it will work out better. I might get a chance to screw with it a bit tomorrow, but I am off to work midnights tomorrow night, so I may not get free time being Christmas eve and all...
I cut a groove in the polycarbonate to help lock the epoxy into the rest of the piece. This edge is where it broke loose last time around.
The fit with the HVAC controls turned out good, it still needs a little bit of work to get the lines perfect, but it is close
Here is a shot of what I filled. The slot half of the trim piece has a piece of dowel split in half and lightly glued in place. The plan is to sand it all with the dowel in place, when all the finish sanding is done, pop the dowel out and hopefully have a decent slot with minimal finishing that needs done.