2008 350z GT Replacing Stock Cubby with Nissan Navigation Console
I wanted to make some headway before I posted a weblog. Wanted to make sure I was going to go through with it first. Now there is no turning back, about 75% of the parts have now arrived. I expect the project to be finished end of April. Taking a week off to do the complete install. Now its prep work... and a lot of it.
Its cold up here in Canada and this time of year cabin fever madness begins to set in. To stop from running around the snowbanks naked and yelling spring will never come all my energy is focused on my project.
The goal: To make a hybrid system taking the best of what I have stock in the car such as bluetooth phone, XM Radio, FM Radio and steering wheel controls. Frankly, Car PCs suck at phone integration and steering wheel controls and just cant compete with the reliability accuracy and speed.
Using Stock H/U - HOWEVER everything is upgraded beyond that point as far as bluetooth, control of sound but leave FM and XM with the stock H/U. Bluetooth, the visual would be controlled by carputer, but sound and mic would be from Stock H/U and factory bluetooth mic. A powerful DSP in the new Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3.which will take the SPDIF from the Xonar Sound Card, it will be able to be controlled from the carputer or Iphone will be using a PAC AOEM NIS2 System Interface Kit to add an Amplifier . Rounding off with HAT Components, Kenwood 5 ch amp, JL 10 3v3 sub and custom box from Wicked CAS. so my ear drums bleed.
1. A complete stealth install. You look in the window and the car looks completely stock, including the factory nav unit but its not really just the factory nav.
2. All Nissan Factory parts to convert standard cubby hole to custom carputer.
3. The lastest ION2 Intel Atom dual core proccessor low power mobo with Nvida graphics and HDMI. Opus 250 Power supply 4GB Memory
4. Xenarc screen - took a while to decide but after having a Lilliput for 5 yrs on an earlier install I wanted to try Xenarc and wanted the auto switching AV2 for a reverse Cam
5. Oh yeah the reverse cam which is a Boyo 425
6. A 5HZ GPS receiver AND iGuidance 2011
7. Asus Xonar DX sound card running SPDIF
8. Wifi ( I pulled the Genius USB Wifi from my old install) for War Driving, wireless connection to house auto download new content
9. Bluetooth - same as above running custom interface to show caller ID, incoming calls, dial out Phone lists
10. Logitech Mini diNovo keyboard and Iphone Mouse
11. ODBII not going to use my old install want auto shut off, custom interface
12. ergonomic touch pad - this thing is awsome
13. Integration of Iphone -This will be my internet Gateway using MiWi it becomes a router for access, and Moble Mouse the Iphone can control the carputer. errr and yeah a phone. However this will plugged into another device a PAC which will charge it and give it integration into the stock radio, its not needed for the carputer directly.
14. Ordered an extra Heated seat switch from Nissan to turn the computer on and off, will go where the blank is located on console with the other heated seats switch. Will anyone notice 3 seat switches and only 2 seats?
15. Fusion Brain
16. Custom programming Using RoadRunner as base, plug ins from other programmers and my own.
17. Will add stuff as I remember.
18. RCJoyCon - Controls the Nav buttons via the PC, very cool. Took several years to implement is now installed, pics will be posted soon.
Whats in progress?
1. A customized interface/skins for the 350z running RideRunner made 3 so far 100% This will never be 100% constantly changing/adding.
2. Hacking the Xenarc screen - IR Sensor, Photo Sensor, Power off/on light and all buttons to be re-located - 100% done its apart and sensors are hacked off. A big thank you to Xenarc on the tech support so far on this part and my back if I need extra parts.
3. Figuring out how to transfer the Xenarc buttons to underneath the 350z Nav buttons to have functionality to the buttons, or some other method to get use of the Nav buttons. This is a big goal of mine. This piece cost $300 + and is completely useless right now all it will do is light up and cover up a hole. I know I can make it better than that. 100%
4. Carputer hardware is 100% done all hooked up and running stress tests. Less the 250W Opus which needs to be connected and attached.
5. Carputer Software 100% done ODBII Skyline skin and new Digital Dash skin needs to be done. All customer work done, sweet bluetooth interface on RideRunner done, stock interface to communicate via Nissan bluetooth, but visually interact with carputer.
6. Need to figure out wiring for that seat heater switch 100% Works flawlessly controls the carputer emergency shut down as well as reverse cam on all the time feature to stare at cars not just used to reverse the car.
7. Waiting forever for the boys from Fusion Brain to explain how to hook up an accelerometer 0% Decided to abandon, these guys have no support switching over to phidgets next year.
8. Need to order B-Quiet sound deadener - bulk direct 100% All installed
100% working .....everything is complete perhaps will add on in the future but I am done......for now