Now, with that out of the way, I started working on my new 'stereo' install last night. When I start most projects, I like to have a pretty good plan in place. With the TJ, I decided to take a different approach. Although I had the concept outlined, I knew there were so many things that would get adjusted on the fly. Compared to some of the other things I've done, this is a relatively simple project. That said, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the details, so we'll see if can make myself happy the first time around. I gathered the parts I though I'd need, and decided to just jump right in.
A car dock for my phone attached to a Bracketron mount was a good start. I'll be able to tether the phone's internet access with the Android tablet I'll be using as a head unit. This mount was made just for Jeep TJ's, and fits perfectly to the side of the center bezel. All screws are hidden behind the bezel itself, so it makes for a very clean looking install.
I'm going to be using a rooted Nook Color, and in order to fit it in place, I needed to move the HVAC controls. After pulling the center bezel off and looking around, it appeared that the controls could be moved down after a little cutting and duct modification. Here is the end result after fabbing a pair of new brackets. I've still got to make a new surround to fill the gap.
In addition to the Nook, I'm adding a Hifonics HFEQ. This will allow me fine control over the signal being sent to the amps. I can switch between inputs and use it as the main volume control.
The approximate position of the Nook...
I'm using a tablet mount from RAM, and I've got to figure out a good way to mount it. That's coming up soon!
Now one last thing. I have a bluetooth OBDII reader installed for the Nook. I reversed the plug and bent it up slightly to keep it out of the way. I'll be able to use an Android app called Torque to read all relevent Jeep data.