I spent about 7 hours on Friday working on the car (I work slow so it's not really that much time). I did get a bunch of things done. Here is a quick rundown of everything I did:
- LED lights under driver seat and under dash (at the feet) resoldered and now working properly again
- Power supply to new AC outlet (cig lighter plug) now working and grounded properly; no more engine noise
- New Touchscreen Mount created (this took the bulk of the time); solid and secure
- Head Unit moved further into the dash to make room for the new mount
- Wiring rearranged for the PC and Monitor power cords
- Mess cleaned up and everything cleaned
The touchscreen mount was my main goal for the day but the other things were definitely items that needed to be repaired due to the poor original mounting/construction. My screen now is not going to move no matter the weather. I created a mount using a broken double din radio mount and just strapped it in using some bendable metal strap (not sure of the technical name for that). It is securely held and will look much nicer this way. There are still a few holes around the screen but I will be able to work on making some black cover pieces that will hide the openings nicely. The only bad thing that came out of this was a splotch of glue got onto my screen! It is a very small spec and only shows up when there is a glare on it, but it is right in the center. I will have to research a safe way to remove it, but for now I will just have to deal with it.
Everything is pretty much set up how I want it now so I am pretty happy. In addition to the hardware things, I also updated the software a bit. The new version of Driveline boots up a bit faster and appears to have less errors. I got a new GPS navigator as well! iGo8 works pretty flawlessly for the navigation like the previous software, but with more added on. The ability to punch in addresses and a great collection of POI work great. And one more additional thing is the 3D buidlings. This is really cool and is quite nifty!
Now my next goal is to use the Arduino and program something up. I am really thinking about doing some sort of keyless access with it but I would like to do something that requires spending no money. I am not sure yet so I will get back on that later. Anyways, pictures as usual will come up later.