Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: 2006 Nissan Altima SE R CarP... errr CarTab!

  1. #21
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,110
    Ya see! Like I said. You need to check out Poweramp.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  2. #22
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52
    After a week of having the tablet installed, I'm noticing an issue that I will be having... soon.. very soon, lol.

    It seems that the USB -> Cigarette Lighter charger can't keep up with the usage of the device... I drive ~1 hour to/from work everyday and over the last week of going to work, the battery is now at %22 When the car is off, the Cigarette lighter doesn't get power (so I don't kill my battery charging the tab 24/7), however, it looks as when the car is running the tablet is using more power than the charger is inputting... eventually (soon) the tablet is going to end up dead, then I'm in trouble.

    What are you guys (other's with tablets and the like installed in your car's) doing to charge the tablet? Is it the same thing I have? If so, I need to figure out a solution so my tablet doesn't die on me.

    When the tablet is running, I have only BT and GPS turned on (no WiFi), and only 3 apps running (Tasker, Tablet Talk and Mixzing/PowerAmp - whichever music player I'm using at the time)... I also have the screen brightness set to automatic and to never time out so it doesn't turn off while I'm driving (since the only hardware buttons are on the sides of the device and inaccessible).

  3. #23
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
    After a week of having the tablet installed, I'm noticing an issue that I will be having... soon.. very soon, lol.

    It seems that the USB -> Cigarette Lighter charger can't keep up with the usage of the device... I drive ~1 hour to/from work everyday and over the last week of going to work, the battery is now at %22 When the car is off, the Cigarette lighter doesn't get power (so I don't kill my battery charging the tab 24/7), however, it looks as when the car is running the tablet is using more power than the charger is inputting... eventually (soon) the tablet is going to end up dead, then I'm in trouble.

    What are you guys (other's with tablets and the like installed in your car's) doing to charge the tablet? Is it the same thing I have? If so, I need to figure out a solution so my tablet doesn't die on me.

    When the tablet is running, I have only BT and GPS turned on (no WiFi), and only 3 apps running (Tasker, Tablet Talk and Mixzing/PowerAmp - whichever music player I'm using at the time)... I also have the screen brightness set to automatic and to never time out so it doesn't turn off while I'm driving (since the only hardware buttons are on the sides of the device and inaccessible).
    Right. So a couple of things.. It is correct to say that the rate of battery charge depletion is greater than to charge if you're just using the cigarette lighter charger. However... your tablet should actually last quite a few days on a charge anyways. At least mine does that, even with all the data streaming...but I decided to use the actual manufacture supplied cigarette USB charger in my car. I find that I can leave it plugged in "forever" it seems and what happens is the charging actually pauses once it's 100%. I'm no automotive electrician so I can't give you technical specifics but I know for a fact, at least in my case that I can just leave it plugged in all the time and I have not experienced any car battery issues or problems with the tablet. This allows me to keep it plugged in if I just so happen to be away from my car over an extended time. For example this past week my car was in the shop. It remained plugged in ensuring that it maintained a charge and I was able to still connect to it remotely to transfer new MP3's and even track it to see where the shop was that they moved it to.

    So long story short if you are going to just use the cigarette lighter for charging I would try to use the charger that is supplied by the tablet manufacture to probably ensure best results. Otherwise just take your tablet in with you when leave your car and charge when needed.

    I had to change my way of thinking when I shifted from a "CarPC" to a Tablet because with a car pc you have no choice but to think about powering your machine. With a tablet you have a supplied rechargable battery and most new tablets are pretty good at holding a nice charge for a while (of course this is dependent on data usage..)
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  4. #24
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by hexxamillion View Post
    Right. So a couple of things.. It is correct to say that the rate of battery charge depletion is greater than to charge if you're just using the cigarette lighter charger. However... your tablet should actually last quite a few days on a charge anyways. At least mine does that, even with all the data streaming...but I decided to use the actual manufacture supplied cigarette USB charger in my car. I find that I can leave it plugged in "forever" it seems and what happens is the charging actually pauses once it's 100%. I'm no automotive electrician so I can't give you technical specifics but I know for a fact, at least in my case that I can just leave it plugged in all the time and I have not experienced any car battery issues or problems with the tablet. This allows me to keep it plugged in if I just so happen to be away from my car over an extended time. For example this past week my car was in the shop. It remained plugged in ensuring that it maintained a charge and I was able to still connect to it remotely to transfer new MP3's and even track it to see where the shop was that they moved it to.

    So long story short if you are going to just use the cigarette lighter for charging I would try to use the charger that is supplied by the tablet manufacture to probably ensure best results. Otherwise just take your tablet in with you when leave your car and charge when needed.

    I had to change my way of thinking when I shifted from a "CarPC" to a Tablet because with a car pc you have no choice but to think about powering your machine. With a tablet you have a supplied rechargable battery and most new tablets are pretty good at holding a nice charge for a while (of course this is dependent on data usage..)

    Very good points, thank you Hexx! So tonight I ended up driving about 20 minutes north to something I had to go to, and my brother and I figured something out. The Cigarette lighter that I tapped into is the same one that my Radar Detector is currently plugged into (temporarily - just until I get my hard wire kit from Escort and mount it at the top of the windshield and wire it somewhere else)... so as a test for this short ride we unplugged the Radar Detector, and voila, after the ride the tablet went UP %2 in battery life. Then on the way home it went UP another %3! So I have a feeling the wiring for that cigarette lighter just couldn't handle both the Radar and the Tablet at the same time... so I'll figure out what to do there and voila, problem solved! :-)

    Perfect... now back to deciding on which Music app to use, as well as ordering that SD Card (going to go 32GB I think, it's more than enough storage for me and the 64GB's are still fairly expensive) and the Samsung HS3000 BT Headset to get my phone working through the car speakers.

  5. #25
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,110
    Glad you figured something out. I remember in my '05 Altima one of the cigarette plugs had an always flow of power for charging and the other only worked when the car was powered on. That could have been the case with what you had going on. Regarding the SD card unless you plan on storing videos you probably won't even use much of the 32GB. I think I kept mine with the 16GB and its more than enough especially if its just MP3's. Since I have data plan everything else is done with internet streaming so I hardly mess with the SD Card.

    While we are on the subject I have a few suggestion for apps you might want to look into and I use them on both the tablet and smartphone. You may already use these or heard of them but I thought it was worth mentioning.

    • Lookout Mobile Security - virus/spyware scan, GPS locator, backup and more
    • Titanium Backup - (You need to root your tab) Backs up your apps and enables you to delete bloatware
    • Snuko - Security app enabling you to lock your device, GPS locator and Report Stolen/lost
    Last edited by hexxamillion; 05-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  6. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    It's possible that the DC plug was just overloaded (and if so, you're lucky you didn't blow a fuse), but also make sure that you have a good charger. Tablet batteries are bigger than phone batteries, so most of the time, a regular run-of-the-mill charger won't cut it for tablets. Heck, sometimes I notice that even my phone drains faster than my car charger can charge it. I have an HTC Evo View 4G, and this is a problem I will run into as well. The OEM wall charger puts out 1.67A at 9V, whereas aftermarket USB chargers typically put out 500mA or 1A at 5V. The aftermarket chargers just can't keep up with the drain on the tablet battery, so I probably will end up having to buy the OEM car charger that puts out the same numbers as the OEM wall charger.

  7. #27
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    It's possible that the DC plug was just overloaded (and if so, you're lucky you didn't blow a fuse), but also make sure that you have a good charger. Tablet batteries are bigger than phone batteries, so most of the time, a regular run-of-the-mill charger won't cut it for tablets. Heck, sometimes I notice that even my phone drains faster than my car charger can charge it. I have an HTC Evo View 4G, and this is a problem I will run into as well. The OEM wall charger puts out 1.67A at 9V, whereas aftermarket USB chargers typically put out 500mA or 1A at 5V. The aftermarket chargers just can't keep up with the drain on the tablet battery, so I probably will end up having to buy the OEM car charger that puts out the same numbers as the OEM wall charger.
    Yeah..that's basically what I did. I use the samsung USB cigarette charger that came with my tablet.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  8. #28
    Low Bitrate sspiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    61
    To fix that power issue, grab yourself a Scosche USB charger. It has a 2.1a port, and then relocate it to an outlet that gets constant power.

    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CK8BEPMCMAY

    This is what i got, and seems to keep up, and has a second port for your phone or whatever else.
    [ 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 S | Dark Slate | CVT | HTC Evo View 4G In-Car Tablet | Interior LEDs | DDM 6000K ]
    [ Massive VK6 Front Stage | 3xJL W610 | Zapco AG750 | Alpine MRPF240 | Clarion EQS746 ]

  9. #29
    Newbie Diablo2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by sspiro View Post
    To fix that power issue, grab yourself a Scosche USB charger. It has a 2.1a port, and then relocate it to an outlet that gets constant power.

    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CK8BEPMCMAY

    This is what i got, and seems to keep up, and has a second port for your phone or whatever else.
    Nice! Thank you for the link, looks good.. I actually ended up buying this device: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Duracell...ter&cp=1&lp=34 (I only got it from BestBuy because I had a gift card to spend, lol) so I plan on doing the same thing essentially, hard wiring it to a cigarette lighter for power and mounting it probably on my side of the center console, but up front to the right of my right foot. Just so I have access to it if I need it... Same concept different device... thank you!

    I couldn't work on the CarTab this past weekend, but plan on hopefully getting a lot done next weekend as it's my last weekend before the 2nd Annual Nissan Car Meet...

  10. #30
    Low Bitrate TxAxZxZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    FWB, FL (but currently in Belgium until 2016)
    Posts
    106

    Nice!

    Nice log! I've been following quite a few of the worklogs for tablet installs as I have decided to ditch the Jeeputer and go that route. I also have the SG Tab 2 7.0 and will start my worklog shortly. I also plan on making mine removable and want to use old CD-ROM parts. I looked into actuators but I want a single push button that opens/closes just like a CD-ROM does. I already tested the load of the tablet on the CD-ROM tray and with my set-up (dock hinged on side) there isn't a problem.

    I've also been looking at "front-end" apps but only found AndCar which has been abandoned and is not available anymore. I am s-l-o-w-l-y teaching myself how to code for Android apps (I'm a beginner so I have to learn Java, XML, ActionScript 3.0..etc). Anybody out there know which will be easier to develop that app with...Eclipse or Flash CS5? Because I am such a beginner it will take me a while, but it's a start. I want to make a frontend app that has an audio/video player built in and can call different apps for navigation, internet radio, etc. I want to set it up like CF, RR or FreeIce in that it calls say, navigation and overlays audio player info (track fwd/rev, volume up/dwn buttons and songtitle) over the app so you still have access to music. After some research though, I don't think this will be possible. I could be wrong...(hopefully).

    Anyway, good luck in your build. I will be watching closely and as stated earlier, will begin my worklog shortly. Best of luck!

    Griz
    JeepTablet Project
    - Design <<<100%>>>
    - Construction <<<70%>>>

    View My Worklog

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 08 nissan altima
    By themlruts in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
  2. nissan altima
    By Fitz54 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
  3. If you have an 05 Nissan Altima
    By mpfjr in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
  4. COMPLETE Carputer For 2002-2006 Nissan Altima For Sale
    By Lyzdog in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 06:13 PM
  5. Nissan Altima
    By Evilbunny1114 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •